405 Mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 Mi16

Default 405 Mi16

Hey fellas,
    I'm new to aussiefrogs and Im intersted in an '91 Mi16. I'm gonna do a engine rebuild on it for my HSC major work as my current project car got stolen from me by some numnuts. Is there anything that i should be wary off in the Mi16's, like common rust spots or defects? Your help is most appreciated..
    Cheers

Advertisement

mine has been pretty good to me... nothing too serious has gone wrong. high kms isnt the best, but since your rebuilding thats no problem

interior rattles is common... also a common problem is the driver will have a big grin on his face after driving.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

not to mention a fierce loyaly that is installed after about 2 weeks of ownership..

prepare to never be the same again

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Mi16s don't rust. Unless they have been involed in an accident and been poorly repaired, rust simply isn't an issue. Key areas of the car are galvanised at the factory.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Doh Scott beat me to it. Like he said Mi16's don't rust. If you have an Mi16 that’s rusting your in big trouble. Again, prepare to grin like an idiot ever time you drive it.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

A word to the wise on engine rebuilds on these; "near enough" is never good enough, so if you're used to working on say a Holden or Ford and even many of the Jap stuff which almost come into "Tractor technology" by comparison, you won't get away with the things on these that you will on the lesser engineered varieties. By the same token, the end result justifies the extra time and care taken.

Internally, I've heard these described as a 'work of art' and a friend with a professional engine development business has flow tested the heads and claims they show better figures stock standard than most V8 Supercars after they've been worked and claims them to be as close to perfect in that regard as any he's ever seen.

Good luck with it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

A mate of mine testdrove the Mi16 for me and he said that the steering column seemed loose and that the brakes were spongy...
    I know that the spongy brakes can be mended by bleeding the system but how bout the steering column?
    Any suggestions? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OwenR
    A mate of mine testdrove the Mi16 for me and he said that the steering column seemed loose and that the brakes were spongy...
    I know that the spongy brakes can be mended by bleeding the system but how bout the steering column?
    Any suggestions? thanks
    that's an odd complaint - never heard of it before... steering wheel is height adjustable, maybe it wasn't locked into place?

brakes have a different feel to most jap and oz cars, may be just something to get used to (they certainly work well enough). However if you don't know the history of the car then replacing the brake fluid and bleeding the system is a good idea.

also check tyres... if the car in question had poor quality tyres (or even underinflated tyres) they could have made both of these problems seem worse than they were.

Whereabouts in sydney are you Owen? if you're close to the city i could take you for a whip around the block in mine and give a quick run-over the whole car just so you know what you're looking at/what to expect?
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

electrical problems, coolant leaks, oil leaks.

405's dont seem prone rust. quite good in that regard.
    1990 series 1, 405 Mi16 <-- Sold
    1998 Nissan 180sx TypeX, 2lt, rwd Turbo.

Thread Information