306 hunting/racing/stalling
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 hunting/racing/stalling

Not having much luck with my car at the moment! I've got a 1.8L 8v 97 306 XT auto and there seems to be a problem with one of the ECU sensors. Last week I'd just topped up with petrol and on starting the engine it raced up to about 3000rpm before hunting aroud 2800 rpm. Being an auto when I put it in drive I needed to use almost the full travel of the brake pedal to stop the thing moving (a tad worrying!). After a few miles at 70 it was idling fine, and stayed ok for the rest of the day (idled a little high at times but nothing major). Didn't need it again till thursday, when it wouldn't start. Eventually got it going but it would die if I lifted my foot off the pedal, and was running really rough, but after it had warmed up seemed to run and idle fine. Similar thing happened yesterday, though I'd run it from cold without any difficulties later on thursday, and it ran fine when I moved it today. All in all it seems to be a sensor playing up but it's a little difficult to figure out which one (especially as it's an intermittent fault) - I had a problem with the map sensor being disconnected a while ago, but that's securely on. The lambda sensor was replaced about 4000 miles ago, tho I can't find it to check the wires aren't broken (I've heard this is a problem on 306s). I've been told it may be the water temp sensor, but I've no real way of testing this. Has anyone got any ideas? I've got a fairly long journey from tomorrow so I'd like to know what's wrong, even if I can't change it in time!
    Cheers and sorry for the long post
    Ben

Advertisement

Tadpole

Anyone?

Tadpole

Hello Curly Ben

Can't help, only sympathise.
    My 306 is playing up (2Lt 97). The Engine management warning light was coming on. Peugeot dealer changed the O2 sensor and it seemed ok. Though low rpm torque very poor. Now the sensor has started to come on again intermitantly, can cause stalling at take off. Have to take it back to the dealer again.
    Here's the strange coincidence, these problems started immediately after filling up with premium unleaded from a local servo.

Good luck sorting yours out

Cheers
    Jon

I'm going to suggest the idle stepper motor is a bit dicky in operation, Jon. If you do a bit of a search on the forums for that, you may find some helpful tips.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks for the tip Simon, I have never heard of an idle stepper motor, but I will do the recommended research

Cheers
    Jon

Tadpole

Unfortunately it's all a bit academic now. I was driving back through Yorkshire last night and got a little lost and didn't quite make a corner on a small country road. Didn't seem too bad, wing and bumper were damaged but the radiator had a branch through it so I couldn't drive back when the car was towed out. Just been up to the garage now after they recovered it and the chassis arm's bent so the car's written off Engine's running sweet as a nut at the moment now though

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyBen
    Unfortunately it's all a bit academic now. I was driving back through Yorkshire last night and got a little lost and didn't quite make a corner on a small country road. Didn't seem too bad, wing and bumper were damaged but the radiator had a branch through it so I couldn't drive back when the car was towed out. Just been up to the garage now after they recovered it and the chassis arm's bent so the car's written off Engine's running sweet as a nut at the moment now though
    Hi mate,
    sorry to hear about your little 'off".
    Regarding your idle problems, when was the throttle body last serviced/cleaned. That will definately cause stalling/erratic idle.

Tadpole

Cheers, it was my first car as well! Oh well, time to find another..
    The throttle body was actually cleaned about 4000 miles ago, had another idle problem (later found it was the hose to the map sensor that had been disconnected) a few months back and I took the throttle body off and cleaned it really thoroughly and checked the stepper motor so that should all have been fine. I think it was a sensor somewhere but I'll never know now.

Thread Information