505 GTI won't start
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 505 GTI won't start

refitted harmonic balancer and timing belt, Motor turns over and has spark but will not fire. Is it possible to put the timing belt on wrongly, have it turn over on the starter and not damage itself? I suspect the timing belt is on wrong or I'm not getting any fuel

Advertisement

Gus

I don't think it's too likely to be the timing belt (I think it'd fire and run like a dog, or bend a valve) unless it's out 180 degrees. Check the TDC mark on the camshaft aligns with the TDC mark on the crank.

Could it be a bit of fuel wiring has gone amiss? Can you smell fuel after cranking?

To check the fuel pump, turn the key to On and listen for the pump kicking in and kicking out (should run for a second or two before the tachymetric relay cuts it off.) For the injectors, you should be able to use a finger or a mechanic's stethoscope to tell if they are opening and shutting when you crank the motor over. Alternatively, use a multimeter on the electrical contacts.

Hth.

Tadpole

thanks, will try

Tadpole

no fuel smell when cranking. Used haynes manual to set timing belt as per figure 1.20 page 61 part B. Noticed on page 60 diagram has cam wheel 180 degrees out. which one would you use? i.e. mark on belt lined up with mark on camwheel at round or rectangular hole?

Gus

Sorry, it's been several years since I even saw a timing belt on a ZDJ engine. I'm sure someone else here will know.

rue
    Tadpole

Default 505 timing

mate sound like spark timing may be out .changing the leads on the dizzy and rotate,taking the rocker cover off will tell you TDC on what cylinder you want to fire as the valves will be rocking on the other end . good luck cheers rue

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by P Schofield
    refitted harmonic balancer and timing belt, Motor turns over and has spark but will not fire. Is it possible to put the timing belt on wrongly, have it turn over on the starter and not damage itself? I suspect the timing belt is on wrong or I'm not getting any fuel
    Assuming it is not any of the other suggestions, I would be almost certain that the timing is now not correct.

A common mistake is to 'accidentally' move the idler shaft which drives the distributor & oil pump. I has only to be out by a couple of teeth (relative to the camshaft & crankshaft drives) to cause the ignition timing to be way out.

Remove the rocker cover, establish No1 cylinder at TDC, then, with the distributor cap removed, check the position of the 'rotor' finger. It should be as per the manual, or close to being in line with the No 1 cyl ignition lead position on the cap. Remember, the GTI engine has an initial timing of 8 degrees + or - 2 degrees.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Tadpole

when turning the crank to check the timing there is no compression. Does this mean the cam timing is 180 degrees out, as it turns over on the starter without damaging itself

Gus

when turning the crank to check the timing there is no compression. Does this mean the cam timing is 180 degrees out, as it turns over on the starter without damaging itself
    That doesn't sound good. Do you mean there's no compression when you expect it for each cylinder, or there's no compression at all? Even if the cam is 180 degrees out you should get some compression, you'll just get it at the top of the "exhaust stroke" instead of the "compression stroke" (as seen by the distributor.)

If you take the valve cover off, can you see each valve opening and closing fully if you turn the motor by hand? Are the valve clearances OK?

Tadpole

Default compression

did have some compression yesterday but can't detect any today! Rocker cover is off and all valves are moving as expected. Clearances are o.k. Have rechecked position of timing belt and seems correct. Do you have to have the distributor right to get compression, or just to run it?

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

did have some compression yesterday but can't detect any today! Rocker cover is off and all valves are moving as expected. Clearances are o.k. Have rechecked position of timing belt and seems correct. Do you have to have the distributor right to get compression, or just to run it?
    Have sent you a PM as requested with further clarification.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Thread Information