Restoring the rear ride height of a 205GTi S3?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Restoring the rear ride height of a 205GTi S3?

Hi Guys,

When I bought my car (91 205GTi S3) it had already been lowered slightly in the back with no change up front. I am pretty keen to restore it to the factory setting as I've heard that the magicians at Peugeot got everything perfect already.

Standard springs up front and standard shocks all round (as far as I know).

Advertisement

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a lowered vs non-lowered rear? Would this make it more or less prone to lift oversteer?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by semerton
    Hi Guys,

When I bought my car (91 205GTi S3) it had already been lowered slightly in the back with no change up front. I am pretty keen to restore it to the factory setting as I've heard that the magicians at Peugeot got everything perfect already.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a lowered vs non-lowered rear? Would this make it more or less prone to lift oversteer?
    My 205 Si was a lot sharper after I lowered the rear but no greater lift off oversteer, probably less as the weight transfer towards the front would be less.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by semerton
    Hi Guys,

The rear would be just a reset of the tortion bar, pretty cheap & quick excercise, but I would still leave it to some one that knows pugs, as you don't want to get it wrong. Shouldn't be more than 2 hours labour & as long as nothing is broken there should be no parts used.
    You could also get a close idea on how it will change, but removing the rear seats completely, parcel shelf, spare etc... the lighter rear would help it lift in static height a little and give you and indication on how it will sit & feel, its a free little test you can do yourself. - Chris
    ... ptui!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    The rear would be just a reset of the tortion bar, pretty cheap & quick excercise, but I would still leave it to some one that knows pugs, as you don't want to get it wrong. Shouldn't be more than 2 hours labour & as long as nothing is broken there should be no parts used.
    You could also get a close idea on how it will change, but removing the rear seats completely, parcel shelf, spare etc... the lighter rear would help it lift in static height a little and give you and indication on how it will sit & feel, its a free little test you can do yourself. - Chris
    Fairly quick as long as the mechanic knows what to do and the torsion bar splines aren't rusted in place.
    Graham

Thanks guys. I like Chris' idea of taking out the back seats as a trial

Might do that this weekend and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Fairly quick as long as the mechanic knows what to do and the torsion bar splines aren't rusted in place.
    Graham
    Graham, there was an old S1 at the old David Warner near Queen St Five Dock, in Sydney. The owner was real bitter about how bad the car bumped around etc, like you said rusted splines ment that they did a bodgy repair by welding it in place, the welds gave way and the rear of the car jumped around and stood real awquard. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

You will end up no wiser, because you are changing two things: the ride height and the weight distribution. Lifting the rear will increase the tendency to oversteer, but Peugeot did get things pretty right in the first place. Just bear in mind that 205s will bite and are hard to catch.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack
    Just bear in mind that 205s will bite and are hard to catch.

Tim
    , so whats the problem... . Dont mind me tim I'm just being silly. But I did that very trial as a cheap way when I had my 306. It just gave me an idea, and wasn't all that far off as lap times showed (i used to supersprint my 306). - Chris
    ... ptui!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Graham, there was an old S1 at the old David Warner near Queen St Five Dock, in Sydney. The owner was real bitter about how bad the car bumped around etc, like you said rusted splines ment that they did a bodgy repair by welding it in place, the welds gave way and the rear of the car jumped around and stood real awquard. - Chris
    I wasn't thinking of rust that bad!
    Just enough to make it hard to slide the torsion bars out.
    Graham

al

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I wasn't thinking of rust that bad!
    Just enough to make it hard to slide the torsion bars out.
    Graham
    Can you tell the state of the rear end without pulling it apart? I want to lower mine asap, but i won't if it is going to be a massively painful procedure...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Al & Graham, don't worry to much this was an extreme case. Al as Graham said its not that hard... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Default Interesting, about to do the same to my 306

I am actually getting my 306 raised a bit at the rear. Maybe not back to standard but just a bit higher. Whoever lowered it before I bought it took the rear too far. The car looks like its got 200kg in the back!

Anyway, the main reason is that i want to restore the direct steering feel and get some twitchines back. Sounds weird, but the car is very neutral and a bit understeery, but very stable on long sweepers. Thing is I want the car to nimble and direct. I figure the amount of high speed sweepers is minimal compared to the tighter stuff driving around town.
    My mechanic is doing it on teusday, should only be 2 hours with a bit of fiddling for the correct height.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Fellow Frogger!

I am thinking of tweaking the rear on my 205 so the rear sits level with the front, but it only needs to go down about 25-30mm and from what I have been reading one spline on a 205 equals about 40-50m, is this correct, is there a way to make smaller increments..
    05' Megane 225 Cup

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    I am thinking of tweaking the rear on my 205 so the rear sits level with the front, but it only needs to go down about 25-30mm and from what I have been reading one spline on a 205 equals about 40-50m, is this correct, is there a way to make smaller increments..
    That is certainly incorrect, I would say around 10mm or even less but unfortunately you can't just turn it one spline, once the bar is removed it comes out of both ends at once and you lose your reference.
    You have to measure the suspension height (with the suspension on full droop) before and after and it is easy to get it wrong that's why the person who does it needs to have done it before, otherwise it could take a while to get right.
    Graham

The correct method is to make solid dummy shock absorbers, that gives the correct ride height (ie 330mm centre/centre). Then reinsert the torsion bars. Then refit the shocks.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Graham and Peter, that makes more sense now..
    05' Megane 225 Cup

I've noticed with the back lowered that the car turns with just a flick of the wrists.

Thread Information