307 Rattle
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 307 Rattle

wid

Default 307 Rattle

I have a friend who has just purchaes a brand new 307 XR and so far a great car.
    However there is a noise which concerns me. Every time you start the engine it rattles for about a second or two as if you have just changed the oil and the oil pump is cavitating before it is primed. After that it sounds fine. If my 406 ST made that noise I would be worried. IS this normal???
    Comments please.

Advertisement

Certainly doesn't sound normal. I'd suggest getting it checked out. Also compare with another new car at the dealers, then you'll really know if it is normal.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by wid
    I have a friend who has just purchaes a brand new 307 XR and so far a great car.
    However there is a noise which concerns me. Every time you start the engine it rattles for about a second or two as if you have just changed the oil and the oil pump is cavitating before it is primed. After that it sounds fine. If my 406 ST made that noise I would be worried. IS this normal???
    Comments please.
    My C4 makes that noise as well... No big deal, it's just the noisy electrics of the engine.

C4 = same mechanicals as 307.
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

wid

Its not an electrical noise

Had my 307hdi a couple of years now- no funny noises & I'm fussy about those.

Could that noise you describe by the ABS pump?? which is normal.

Our 307CC at 22,000km has no engine rattles. Sounds like a fault to me.

(The only rattle I have is an annoying, but intermittent - therefore difficult to get fixed, rattle from the roof at the rear.)

wid

The rattle/knock in question is only at startup. Perhaps someone could perform a short test. Lift the bonnet and listen carefully.

Does it have hydraulic tappets?
    If so, that's where it will be coming from; tappets tapping before the oil pressure takes over. If it is that, I suppose you could call it a fault, but as it isn't really causing any problems I doubt the cost of getting rid of it justifes the need to.
    I had a fairly bad one in my BX16V which I cured by using 0W40 full synthetic oil in the car. If a good quality oil isn't being used or one of a slightly heavier rating to that recommended (say a 20W50) then the rattle will be whilst the oil gets its way into the top end.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

What powers the 307 XR? Is the 1.6 or 2 litre?
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Actually i think Alan is right... The noise seems to have fainted a little after my latest service (which included an oil change)....
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Don't put any other oil (20w50) in your vehicle other than what Peugeot recommend. Using anything else will give Peugeot and excuss to knock back any future warranty claims if you are unlucky enough to have problems with your engine. The tolerences in the engine are very fine and using thicker oil may induce problems...not solve them. A slight tapping noise in the engine on start up is quite normal...Always use full synthetic oil (0w40) this is the best oil you can get.....

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    What powers the 307 XR? Is the 1.6 or 2 litre?
    XR is 2L. The 1.6L is XS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    XR is 2L. The 1.6L is XS.
    There is no XR 307 in Australia. There is the XS and XSE in the latest model. There was an XSR in the previous model, which was a 2L (same as XSE but missing some features like auto lights and leather steering wheel).

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    There is no XR 307 in Australia.
    I assume he means the XSR. I've got a 2.0 XSE and have never experienced any sort of noise in the engine on startup.

If you're still concerned, take it in and get the dealer to check it out.

Cheers

wid

Its as XSR. 2 litre.
    As I said it sound for all the world like a cavitating oil pump after an oil change. It still has the original oil.

Thankyou for clearing that up. I was fairly sure there was no Australian XR. Somebody I know with a 1.6 XS does a bit of a rattle; like a clattery clutch thrust bearing sound. Has from new.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by wid
    Its as XSR. 2 litre.
    As I said it sound for all the world like a cavitating oil pump after an oil change. It still has the original oil.
    Well as said by others, it doesn't sound normal to me. It's not a noise my GTi makes (same engine) when starting.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    Thankyou for clearing that up. I was fairly sure there was no Australian XR. Somebody I know with a 1.6 XS does a bit of a rattle; like a clattery clutch thrust bearing sound. Has from new.
    Not something I'd put up with if I was spending the $ on a new car.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Wid,
    Re your startup engine noise - I know what you are speaking of & it is much more evident when you start the engine from cold. Also more common in the later fwd Pugs - perhaps closer engine component tolerances?
    I would agree with moderator Alan S. - the noise I believe is due to components in top part of engine (tappets etc) runing "dry" for a few seconds or so until oil pump gets the oil to them. I knew of a guy who had persistent tappet noise in a 16V 306 engine that was quietened by switching to a more free flowing 10W50 engine oil instead of the dealer used 15W40 oil.
    The imported Esso synthetic engine oils that dealers began to sell in 4 litre packs some years ago at premium prices were good - exceptionally free flowing oils, though they did not have the temperature range that some other engine oil makers such as Penrite insist are better for our conditions. I do remember how disappointed I was years ago with running Mobil 1 (5W50) oil in a 405 I then owned - it continued to boil away - very different from the use of BP Corse+ in the same car!
    John505

My VW caravelle 2.5 5 cylinder petrol is little noisey on startup. But not all the time. It quietens down after a few minutes. It has always been put down to a noisey hydraulic tappet, until pressure builds up (as Alan has suggested) -and this is with 5w40 synthetic oil.

Like any car there will always be a little manufacturing variation (tolerences) with some gremlins like this and some without.

Cheers,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Does it have hydraulic tappets?
    If so, that's where it will be coming from; tappets tapping before the oil pressure takes over. If it is that, I suppose you could call it a fault, but as it isn't really causing any problems I doubt the cost of getting rid of it justifes the need to.
    I had a fairly bad one in my BX16V which I cured by using 0W40 full synthetic oil in the car. If a good quality oil isn't being used or one of a slightly heavier rating to that recommended (say a 20W50) then the rattle will be whilst the oil gets its way into the top end.

Alan S
    I'd be inclined to think along these lines too.
    It doesn't cost too much to find out if this is the problem either.
    WID, have your friend take the car back to the dealer and have it checked. If it were me I'd have them change the oil again, gratis, and if it fixes the problem it is most likely someone stuffed up last time and used the in-correct oil. If it doesn't fix the problem then obviously more investigation is required.
    (FWIW, S**bs are also very sensative to in-correct oil grades, too heavy a grade and the older engines struggle till the poil pressure is up and are noisy.)
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thread Information