Sick of fading 205 bumpers
  • Register
  • Help

Default Sick of fading 205 bumpers

sick of the bumper trims fading on your 205, dont have the patience to use a bumper rejuvinator,
    tire shine works a treat, ive had it on for about 3 weeks and hasnt faded a bit, even with a down pour

Advertisement

Got any pics,

I was going to take mine off and spray them black. Or just off black.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

Meguiars Gold Class Trim detailer is a really good product for your bumpers and mouldings. Easy to apply, lasts a good while and gives a rich lustre not a shine.
    No, in spite of official denials I'm not getting a kickback.
    '92 205 GTi White

I'll second that.
    The first time I tried the Meguires trim detailer, I did it wrong (I did it in the sun), and the result were shit. The second time, I did it in the shade, and the result were beautiful!
    However, the trim really is beyond saving (it's definitely not black anymore), and might consider buying some new trim some time in the future (long time in the future methinks ...).

al

Or you could just use vinyl dye, and your bumpers will still be perfect in six months...

Mine were pretty tired before, (bloody qld sun) but look exactly the same now as they did when freshly painted.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Cub

Vinyl Dye?... sounds interesting man... where to get and how to apply...please divulge more details

Cheers,

Stan
    CUB

yah i second what al recommends - vinyl dye.

its permanent more so than say tyre shine or armour all, which only lasts weeks, if youre lucky.

think from memory its like $12.95 a can... and a can goes a lonng way. you can spray it on or paint it on.

brings the bumpers and arch extensions back to "new".

oh yah you can get 'em from any auto retailer. e.g. supercheap, autopro, autobarn, etc, etc.

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

I accidentally bought some black plastic err... polish one time, thinking it was clear... I ended up giving it to my mate because my trim is grey (d'oh!). That stuff works really well on black parts though. It turns out looking like new, really deep black without looking like cling-film has been pulled over it.

Tried some cheap "export" vinyl restorer (not tyre shine/foam) which worked quite well. It's a spray on/wipe on, leave, buff off affair, so you're not left with armourall shine, and it does last a couple of months. Quite good at like 2 bucks a can, but you don't really want to overspray or you'll see it on the paintwork (just changes the shine slightly).

The real deal though, is to remove all of the trim (so you can properly polish the car without worrying about getting it on the plastic), then hit the trim with a heat gun! It works very well, it's like winding back the clock on the plastic. Just remember to have some spare trim clips around, cos a few always break when you're removing the parts. Lasts yonks.

Just don't go getting too ambitious, melting is bad!
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Default if you have bumper colours problem?

hey,all my friends,l had a same problem was all my 205gti's l use to spray all the time silicone sprays butit was work only short time.3 years ago l went AUTO SALOON homebush l found the new product(for me) AUTO GYLM BUMPER CARE all this brand product is really good. just try then see the result.where? all autobarn's little bit expencive but is really good

I been using Penetrol for the past few weekends and I'm very happy with the finish.

Cheap too!

Quote Originally Posted by nos205gti
    hey,all my friends,l had a same problem was all my 205gti's l use to spray all the time silicone sprays butit was work only short time.3 years ago l went AUTO SALOON homebush l found the new product(for me) AUTO GYLM BUMPER CARE all this brand product is really good. just try then see the result.where? all autobarn's little bit expencive but is really good
    How does that compare to the meguires trim detailer ?

Icon6

I just painted mine with vinyl pressure pak $11.95 from peps auto and they look great...hope its hard wearing though.
    I think the only difference to normal spraypaint would be the priming ajent,i layed it on a bit thick in some areas but it dried well with no evidence or blotching.
    Last edited by Craigo; 10th February 2006 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader
    How does that compare to the meguires trim detailer ?
    l think they havent trim detailer maybe they have very good polish porduct,better then meguires just try you will see,if you mean trim is leather seat they hav eleather trim product which is good but l m not using any product for my 180 hot and clean water and clean cloths. l cant explain to you here if you interest l will give you my adress. come here, l can give you free car detailing with my auto gylm product(dont forget to bring case of VB)

Tadpole

would you goys be able to tell me if the bumpers etc are suppose to be black on a grey 205??? i mean i thought they were but honestly mine look so grey its not funny i seriously thought they were ment to be that color!

My side stripes/arch flares are grey, and are meant to be grey. The back plate on my rear hatch was meant to be grey, but it got replaced with a black one by my insurers when it was rear ended, looks ok though.

My bumpers are black.

Dunno if the bumpers used to be grey at one stage and were both replaced... but it doesn't spoil the look of the car. :p
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Fellow Frogger!

I have been using the Autoglym Bumper Care for about 2 years now, it is really good stuff, wipe it onto the trim, let is sit for a while then wipe off the residue, lasts about 3-4 weeks, I am thinking the penetrating dye or heat gun method in the fututre for a longer lasting solution..
    05' Megane 225 Cup

My rear bumber is brand new. It's not black.. but its very close to it.

A very very dark grey.

Where'd did you get a new bumber (and how much, if you don't mind my asking)? Locally, or imported ?

Most of my trim is pretty warped, so I will like to get it replaced one day ...

Fellow Frogger!

Lanolin oil sealed with vaseline works a treat and seems to restore the color pretty well.

Wear gloves

Fellow Frogger!

Lanolin oil sealed with vaseline works a treat and seems to restore the color pretty well.

Wear gloves

Thread Information