Cheap alternative for a 180 spare rim
  • Register
  • Help

Default Cheap alternative for a 180 spare rim

For those who are worried about having no spare on long trips or having a tyre blowout that cant be fixed by the pressure kit. I managed to pick up 15 inch stock steelie off a standard 206.

Advertisement

Ive tested the rim with 185/60/15 tyre on both front and rear there is no rubbing as the tyre offset is the same (28mm). There is adequate room between disc and callipers, although there is obvisouly less room on the front as the brake calipers are larger.

With two 15 inch steelie's on the right side the car did pull to the right, I guess this is because of the difference in height with the 17s on the other side. I will try 65 or 70/75 (if they still make them) with correct load rating, im not to fussed about speed rating as this is a tyre to get my out of trouble.

EDIT

OK the correct height/rolling diamater is 195/55/15 inch, ive been driving with it now for the last two days and no probs.
    Last edited by WRC180; 11th February 2006 at 07:06 PM.
    04' GTi 180

That sounds great, have you considered blutacing it to the bonnet for storage?
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

Quote Originally Posted by dpcgti180
    That won't work... when it rains the blu-tack will get all soft.. Best bet is hammer four long nails into the roof of the 180 and put the wheel on there..
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Thats much better
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

XTC

Could always put roof racks on it ...

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by dpcgti180
    Haha, I have no intention of keeping it in the car permanently, I did it so I can drive around whilst another rim is getting repaired. Considering that a 180rim costs $530 and another $260 for a p7000 the steelie and tyre cost me $100 its a very cheap alternative.

The mobile after service pug care lasts only for the the warranty period, what would you do when you have a tyre blow out that cant be fixed by the pressure kit? Call a towie, theres an easy 200 dollars blown....
    04' GTi 180

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pug
    The mobile after service pug care lasts only for the the warranty period, what would you do when you have a tyre blow out that cant be fixed by the pressure kit? Call a towie, theres an easy 200 dollars blown....
    The FREE mobile after service pug care lasts only for the the warranty period - you can opt to extend it (for a fee of course).

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    The FREE mobile after service pug care lasts only for the the warranty period - you can opt to extend it (for a fee of course).

- xTc -
    Or you could get Roadside assist with NRMA/RACV/RACQ or whatever, which is a damn site better than Peugeot Assist.
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 206 RC
    Or you could get Roadside assist with NRMA/RACV/RACQ or whatever, which is a damn site better than Peugeot Assist.
    NRMA NSW membership on the premium plan

Premium plan $147.50 per annum

Free towing upto 50km in metro areas only

Classic plan $81.60 per annum

Free towing Upto 20km in metro areas only & restricted no of call out per year

Lower plan

No free towing and limited call outs per year

Apart from NRMA's benefit for motor/electrical breakdown, I wouldnt call there towing option a cheaper alternative, if your out of metro your screwed and minimum wait time on call outs is an hour.
    04' GTi 180

Have you looked into getting a space-saver spare? I know some people have in the UK.

You can't use a space-saver on the front wheels, due to the size of the brakes but you can move the back wheel to the front and use the space-saver on the rear wheel.... the same idea as the Honda CTR uses.

Quote Originally Posted by ron180
    Have you looked into getting a space-saver spare? I know some people have in the UK.

You can't use a space-saver on the front wheels, due to the size of the brakes but you can move the back wheel to the front and use the space-saver on the rear wheel.... the same idea as the Honda CTR uses.
    I did think about a space saver, pratically you would get major pulling to which ever side you put the space saver on, secondly the space saver costs more then the steelie/tyre and lastly rim repair requires 4 days, cant drive on a space saver for highway let alone metro for that long.
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by ron180

I have a space saver that the dealer gave me when I bought my car. I asked for it so that I have something to get me out of trouble on longer road trips and if that tyre goo didn't work... I've only ever put it in the car once, when I went to Tassie, otherwise it sits in the store room under the stairs.

I've often wondered if steel wheels would fit on the 180, I keep forgetting to ask when I take it in for a service. It would be fun rallying on the dirt tracks in the hills near Melbourne but the rubber-band tyres don't give me enough confidence to do so. The extra height of rubber on a steel rim would be much more comforting in that respect, but I don't know what it would do to the handling...

Nick
    You twist and turn like a twist-ey turn-ey thing! - Lord Melchett - Blackadder the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Nick
    I've often wondered if steel wheels would fit on the 180, I keep forgetting to ask when I take it in for a service. It would be fun rallying on the dirt tracks in the hills near Melbourne but the rubber-band tyres don't give me enough confidence to do so. The extra height of rubber on a steel rim would be much more comforting in that respect, but I don't know what it would do to the handling...

Nick
    If your contemplating buying some steelies then a 15 inch with a 28mm offset will suit it, to keep the same height and rolling diamter you will need 195/55 for the 15 inch rim.
    04' GTi 180

XTC

I have a Citroen C4 16" steelie as a spare (under the GTi) ... runs a 205/45R16 - they are not cheap though. $180 for the rim.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information