406 radiator
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 406 radiator

Default 406 radiator

Hmm, the V6 is using about a litre of coolant every fortnight...

Advertisement

No, I haven't cooked Valentine, I keep an eye on her levels.

Looks like fresh coolant pooling along the bottom edge of the radiator. She's just clicked over 100K so I suppose that's average for a modern radiator (a metal 404 radiator lasted, like, the life of the car...).

Do people like Natrad do Pug radiators or do we have to source them from Pug Australia (gulp)? Anyone done one recently and how scary is it?

Anything under $500 fitted would be okay for the blood pressure.

Dave
    Last edited by 68 404; 4th February 2006 at 06:25 PM.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 radiators

Natrad 'do' aluminium radiators for just about any make. Then try Dapco in Sydney, or Auto France in Willoughby and EAI in Melbourne http://www.eai.net.au/
    Let me know how you go.
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

1000+ Posts

I don't know the Peugeot radiator but some aluminium ones have a large rubber gasket between the fins and the tank. This goes hard and brittle and cracks and causes coolant leaks. I have seen them re-heated and resealed successfully. Also, if that is the cause of the leak, a sealant like Silver Sealant from Repco will safely extend its life.

Double that number and you'll be getting an idea of what a new radiator for a 406SV costs. Mine fell to pieces just after I bought my car (yay for warranty) - quite dodgy for a car that had done about 70K at the time. The dealership were quite surprised to find that no one makes an after market radiator for the SV (there are a few available for the ST), therefore a genuine replacement was needed. Depending on how bad the damage is, I'm told one can have the lower part of the radiator "sealed off" (or something like that) - it had been done to the dead one in mine previously.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    . . . Do people like Natrad do Pug radiators or do we have to source them from Pug Australia (gulp)? Anyone done one recently and how scary is it?

Anything under $500 fitted would be okay for the blood pressure.

Dave
    I got a brand new imported Valeo radiator (aluminium core, plastic tanks) through my local Natrad radiator shop for $462 (inc Gst). (405 Mi16)

Had a Natrad bloke have a look today and he is getting some prices...

Apparently the originals are a copper/brass set up and the cheaper replacements are aluminium/plastic which are built to a price.

Having a look at the UK 406 coupe club website it seems that 406 V6s eat radiators! One bloke over there has replaced 3 in (translated) 120,000 kms. He suggested they rotted from the outside in so the dreaded salt monster may contribute.

Mr Natrad has indicated he can get one for me for a little under $500 but is going to ring me tomorrow as he thinks he can do better.

Replacement is simple (apparently a 20 minute job) so I'll do it myself. There's bleed points and a method of installation that I'll post when the job is done.

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 radiator change

68 404,
    Would you like to have a few copied pages from the factory w'shop manual on changing the radiator and bleeding the cooling system on the V6. Would save you a bit of wasted time.
    I'm just up 7 Hills road near Wagon Wheels nursery.
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Picked up my radiator today from Hills District Radiator Services (actually in Pendle Hill). Phone number is (02) 96363041. Down side is the bloke who runs the place calls them 'Poo Joes' and wrote 'Peugoet' on the receipt.

$418 including John W. It's a genuine part (at least it has French and Spanish written on the box).

A lot better than the "a little bit under $500 + GST" that I was originally quoted.

Will throw her into Valentine this weekend and will report how it goes. I have detailed instructions from a UK 406 coupe site.

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 radiator install

Dave,
    How did the radiator install go ??
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Thread Information