Why, oh why?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Why, oh why?

Icon8 Why, oh why (505)?

I am fuming after just discovering that someone stole the keys out of my 505 STI. I figure they must have been petty thiefs because they took nothing else. I don't have spare keys. The battery was flat after the Christmas break.

I was just about to sell the car and am now faced with the prospect of replacing the ignition barrel, door and boot locks. Given the price that SI 505 STIs fetch nowadays it hardly seems worth me bothering to pay for all those parts. Its disappointing because the car is in good mechanical condition, with all books from new. What do I do: scrap the car, give it away? Very disappointing - especially when I think that the keys were probably discarded on the ground somewhere, with my favourite Peugeot key ring on them too.

Advertisement
    Last edited by blizzardboy; 4th February 2006 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added 505 to the title - bit more specific that way
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

If you get the number off the ignition lock a good locksmith will cut you keys from the number, cost about $15- $20
    Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Default same for doors and boot?

Thanks for the advice PCOATES505,

I suppose I won't be able to get this number if the steering lock has been activated (it just was...grrr)?

Can a lock smith do the same for door locks and boot lock (I anticipate no)?
    Last edited by blizzardboy; 4th February 2006 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzardboy
    Thanks for the advice PCOATES505,

I suppose I won't be able to get this number if the steering lock has been activated (it just was...grrr)?

Can a lock smith do the same for door locks and boot lock (I anticipate no)?

get a set of second hand locks and ignition barrel out of a wrecked 505....im sure someone on here can help out......theres been a few 505s up for parts on this forum, someone will have a set of locks and ignition with keys.....

dont scrap a beautiful car because some little twit stole your keys.......

PS, keep an eye on your car, the little turd might come back for it.

Take a door lock out and drop it off at a locksmith. They will be able to cut you a new key for $20 - 30. Assuming the door and ignition used the same key - otherwise you will need to take the ignition barrel in too. I found it easier to pull the whole column out when a friend had her Fuego keys nicked with her handbag.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Gus

I'll go see if the 505 wreck in my back yard has matching ignition and door keys. If so, I'd be happy to send you all the lock barrels plus the keys for say $20 plus postage...

(And _I'm_ gonna go get a copy made of my only key to my 505!)

Icon14 Thanks for your advice all

I really appreciate all your advice - has lifted my mood. For some reason I thought Peugeot 505 key blanks were difficult to source (i.e. a locksmith probably wouldn't have them).

I have been going to make spare keys for over a year now...

The door locks use a different key to the ignition. So I guess I will need to take the steering column off if I am going to get a locksmith to make up a new key - or maybe I could get a mobile locksmith to do the job?

Gus: Thank you, I will take you up on your offer - the only condition is that my STI has the larger diameter door locks, like those on a SII 505. All the door locks on 505 wrecks I've seen have the smaller locks. Let me know and, if all looks good, I'm keen to purchase.

Thread Information