New Tyres for 205 GTi - 185/55/R15
  • Register
  • Help

Default New Tyres for 205 GTi - 185/55/R15

So whilst I was away in Sydney during the week, the wife borrowed my car and ended up driving a few km's on a flat tyre.

Advertisement

Luckily the rim escaped any damage but the tyre itself is cactus.

The spare I'm using at the moment is the original Michelin that came with the car.

Beaurapaires say that Yokohama no longer make the A539 in that size. They have some Dunlops and Goodyears in stock, but I thought I'd ask the brains trust around here regarding what is the 'tyre of choice' these days for the 205 and its 'special' tyre size.

I suppose another question is the concern of mixing tyres between front and back. Has anyone done this before? My A539's had done about 30,000 km, so although the fronts were becoming quite worn, the rears were still in great shape.

Cub

Hi,

Just out of curiousity, what made you go with Yoko's over Michelins?

If it were me i would prob put the newer tyres on the back given the handling traits of the 205... ...but i think i've heard that its not the best thing to mix tyres on a car...?

Sorry for the minimal assistance...

Stan
    CUB

ahhh i cant help you all that much, but ive got a set of 15's waiting for a set of new centre caps and some nice new rubber slapped on. For the moment im looking at 195/50R15 michelin preceda's

ive gotta do a bit more research into the preceda, ill keep an eye out for your choice

Ads
    Tadpole

hey guys for what its worth: my old man has a subaru that he was using michelin precedas on and they had great grip and lasted a long time. both he and i now run on yoko c-drive's and they are most certainly reccomendable. dunlop direzza's also fit the 205 from memory and are worth a look? although it sounds like you want so fairly hypo rubber yeah? changing tyre types front to back will change the 'feeling' i had mixed rubber on my old 205 and you could feel the variation between front and rear grip. this could work to your advantage but you would be better off going with a full fresh set.
    just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cub
    Hi,

Just out of curiousity, what made you go with Yoko's over Michelins?
    Price. And my mechanic recommended them, as they outperformed Michelins in recent tyre tests.

I've decided to go for a set of new Yokohama C-drives, which are probably as close to the Yokohama A539 on the back.

My dad's 205 GTi has some newish Michelin pilots, and they feel pretty good.

I must say that out of the box, the Yokohama's were absolutely brilliant. I was amazed with the amount of slip angle that they could hold. They don't wear as well as the Michelins though.

Hey.
    This is a bit of a hi-jack, but I'm getting new tyres soon, and don't want to spend too much (I'd love C-Drives, but they're kinda pricey).
    Looking at the Yoko site, the sensible options seem to be A539's or S306's. Can these tyres still be bought, and about how much do they cost ?
    I'll be getting 190/55R15

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader
    Hey.
    This is a bit of a hi-jack, but I'm getting new tyres soon, and don't want to spend too much (I'd love C-Drives, but they're kinda pricey).
    Looking at the Yoko site, the sensible options seem to be A539's or S306's. Can these tyres still be bought, and about how much do they cost ?
    dunlop maxx sport 4 of them in sydney l bought 3 weeks ago$760 but c-drive is good tyre ass well

IVE just got a set of 15 '' rims,ive only got one set on the car as the other set is getting polished.
    im running a second hand set of goodyear f1;s at the moment on the front
    they are 15/195/50.
    not a bad tyre really as ive yet to spin the front wheels ,the prirelli p6000's i had would spin even when near new.
    but im getting some yokie c drives in 195/55/50 in a week or so and ill report the difference.
    they are a pretty good tyre by all acounts.and they arent too expensive at 140 a tyre for the 195/50/15.
    the 195/50/15 are 170.-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    IVE just got a set of 15 '' rims,ive only got one set on the car as the other set is getting polished.
    im running a second hand set of goodyear f1;s at the moment on the front
    they are 15/195/50.
    not a bad tyre really as ive yet to spin the front wheels ,the prirelli p6000's i had would spin even when near new.
    but im getting some yokie c drives in 195/55/50 in a week or so and ill report the difference.
    they are a pretty good tyre by all acounts.and they arent too expensive at 140 a tyre for the 195/50/15.
    the 195/50/15 are 170.-BAZZ
    Um ... which ones are $140 ? That's my pretty much my budget.
    Also, aren't 195/55's a little big for a 205 ?

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader
    Hey.
    I doubt you'll find any A539's around these days... only C-drives (at least that's what Bob Jane's, Beaurapaires and Yokohama Australia have told me).

Regarding comparing Yoko's and Michelins, my dad fitted Michelin Pilot HXs to his 205 about 20,000 km ago (if that). Interesting to compare them to the A539's on my 205. They have more tyre noise than the Yoko and less grip. But I have no doubt that they will wear better. I found a noticeable drop-off in front-end grip after about 20,000 km on the Yokos. Indeed, after about 30,000 the fronts were almost un-roadworthy (rears are still in great shape), so you'd probably want to rotate them after the 20,000 km mark.

Which, funnily enough, is exactly what a guy from Bob Jane's says. The Michelin is a better wearing tyre but it won't give you the performance of the Yokohama A539/C-drive.

From my experience, you'll probably get 40-50,000 km from a Yokohama c.f. 50-70,000 from a Michelin.

Of course, actual mileage may vary depending on your driving style etc.!

Just got quoted $135 for C-Drives (195/50R15).

Getting them on Friday

Where!

I was quoted $180 for 185/55/R15

Bob Jane (in Box Hill)

I think the 185 is slightly larger, which probably explains the price difference.

Maybe you're right.. 'cause I was quoted $180 from Bob Jane's in Elizabeth St.

Sorry to ressurect, but I put in the C-Drives yesterday, and they're very nice !

It feels like I've got less rolling resitance, and have a lot more confidence in my rear end. I haven't fully tested them, but at least they're not made of concrete like my previous rears.

Thread Information