GTI Pickup and problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default GTI Pickup and problem

Hey guys,

I picked up the 205 GTI today and i am wrapped. I ended up splitting the bill 25:75 with me paying 25% to get cambelt and water pump changed and got the air-con fixed and a new radiator because the last one was on its last legs.

The gentleman from Car Supply was fantastic he got all the work organised and done and everything seems great.

The one question i have is when i drove it during the test drive there was a slight grinding/graunching sound in the front right corner of the car when it was going around a corner. I budgeted for whatever needs replacing but it just seems allot more apparent now that i have picked the car up. I have driven it enthusiastically just checking everything out and that is why it is more apparant. Any ideas? differential bearings? Bushes?

Its a noticeable grinding/graunching sound when it is loaded during a corner.

Thanks,
    Tom

Advertisement

is it only noticeable during corner loading? or is more noticeable during cornering?

perhaps a belt has been tightened too much?

check lower engine mounts as it makes a "haunching" soun don undulations or cornering, if needs replacing.

perhaps even front drivers side cv joint? but you probably already know what sound that makes.

someone here may be able to shed some light, and btw, congrats.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Sounds like a CV joint to me.

You would have to replace both sides and would cost about $500 bucks APPROX.

Chris

Tadpole

Have you ever not properly engaged reversed and tried to take off only to get some grinding sort of noise. That is what is sounds like. I will find a good mechanic and let you guys know.

I've heard Auto Paris in BoxHill is good.

Has anyone also heard of Euro Works in Hieldelberg i think. Any experiences? There were a couple of the services in the book done there.

Thanks,
    Tom

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris180
    Sounds like a CV joint to me ...
    yes it does.
    Puggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas James
    Have you ever not properly engaged reversed and tried to take off only to get some grinding sort of noise. That is what is sounds like. I will find a good mechanic and let you guys know.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Is it under load? or at any speed? Full lock or part lock?

Chris
    205gti

Tadpole

It occurs when:
    * Enter corner 20+km/h and accelerate out
    * Brake mid corner (while turning obviously)
    * 20+km/h and a quick sharp turn on the steering wheel

I took it to Auto Paris in Box Hill and spoke to Paul(I think) and he had a good look at it and took it for a couple of drives. He did not think it was mechanical. He thought that because my car is such low k's (67,000) that maybe the tire walls had gone hard over time and was making the noise. Checked tyre pressure as well

I took it home and rotated the tyres but the end result was the same. He now thinks its maybe a wheel bearing with weight bearing issues that is causing the problem. He quoted about $250-280(inc. labour) for wheel bearing change. I thought it was gonna be allot more.

P.S - Paul(i think that was his name) was a great guy. He spent a fair bit of time looking and driving my car and explaining stuff to me. I think my business will stay with him for a while.

Any more advice suggestions on anything mentioned?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by Thomas James; 12th February 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Tadpole

Car is goin in on friday for a closer look. I have hoisted the car up and checked for play in the wheel by flexing the tyre top/bottom in opposite directions and i get no play on any of the wheels. Does that rule out only ball joint failure?

the mechanic as mentioned above thought it was the wheel bearing. I thought that was more of a high pitch whine like in taxis that have done heaps of k's.

There is no scrub marks on the tyre or on the car wall where the tyre sits so its not that. I have done a tyre rotation that did not affect anything.

any ideas people?

Tom

Fellow Frogger!

play in the wheels would probably indicate bearings are worn, in my case there was no play in the bearings but yes in the RHS tie-rod(replaced the steering rack). if theres play inside the ball-joints or the gaiters are broken, i would replace them. also check all rubbers ie. bushes, mounts.. etc. & bolts/nuts. check the CV gaiters too.
    Puggy.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas James
    Brake mid corner (while turning obviously)
    If you're doing this at 20kmph not much will go wrong but since you're new o 205 GTI I would advise you brake BEFORE the corner and then accelerate through the corner.

At high speeds - which a 205 GTI can corner at - the technique you mentioned above could cause you to lose the back end. This is great fun on a track and on roads you know REALLY well with a car you know but if not...

If you think you are half way through a corner and still going too fast nail it. It sounds weird and against your natural instincts but the 205 will grip if given the opportunity. If you brake you could end up sliding across the road facing the wrong direction and heading for a guard rail. Trust me on this... RIP AA205D.
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
    1989 Nissan R32 GT-R

Default bit far fetch but...

... could it be the brake calipers sagging or catching?

ive never heard if this occuring in forward motion, but a known problem with 205gtis is a loud bang and grinding, when braking in reverse.

it may be a long shot but worth a look when every other option has been exhausted.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Scotchopper
    If you're doing this at 20kmph not much will go wrong but since you're new o 205 GTI I would advise you brake BEFORE the corner and then accelerate through the corner.

At high speeds - which a 205 GTI can corner at - the technique you mentioned above could cause you to lose the back end. This is great fun on a track and on roads you know REALLY well with a car you know but if not...

If you think you are half way through a corner and still going too fast nail it. It sounds weird and against your natural instincts but the 205 will grip if given the opportunity. If you brake you could end up sliding across the road facing the wrong direction and heading for a guard rail. Trust me on this... RIP AA205D.

yeah dont brake mid corner in a 205gti - its gonna snap oversteer, hard, and for the inexperienced, itl be all over coz the arse is gonna say hello to the front end, quickly, and once in oversteer, a 205gti isnt gonna give you much of a chance to catch it.

if youre mid corner and goin hard pretty hard and deep, take your foot off the loud peddle and just steer it on throttle (always keep it in gear), and anticipate catching the arse with a reverse lock. its frikn awesome, and scary, at the same time!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Thread Information