aftermarket air filters/kits on 205 gti
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default aftermarket air filters/kits on 205 gti

What is the consensus on fitting k&n air filters to a 205 gti? Or the kits where you remove the best part of the intake system including the filter box? Are there any gains in hp and response? I have read and been told that the intake system on the car is good enough at standard, but the fact that it is only 2 inches wide and an inch high makes me think that a pod style filter that draws air from a larger (forced) pipe must provide more oxygen to the engine. You guys are the experts, whats the verdict??

Advertisement

hi shock, as youve already said the factory set up is great, and any after market pod filter will produce less hp, due to drawing hot air from the engine compartment. the only gain is a psycho WRC style soundtrack.

if your gonna fit a pod filter, insulate it from the hot engine air, in some sort of compartment, that also draws "clean" air from the outside, from some inlet.

if you do a search there are a few threads that explain this in more detail.

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

... oh yah, ive got a k&n pad replacement filter fitted in the original airbox, not for any gain, just for convenience and budget's sake really.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Cub

Howdy,

IMHO: I'd agree that an after-market pod would be of limited use if it is sitting square at the centre of engine heat...unless of course you are just going for noise and looks ..if you get a custom made one with a heat shield, would prob get some more performance?

I'm currently running a King Dragon Filter... I was tired of looking around, it was Italian AND on special in a catalogue

The King Dragon made a notable difference as opposed to the sooty factory one... better acceleration and smoother idle...but I guess any new filter could do that.

Hope that helps...
    CUB

It would be really good if someone was able to measure the intake temp on a standard setup just before the air goes into the manifold as this would help me & others see if there is really any gain in relocating the filter where it is not on the exhaust manifold. I recall someone said that they were going to in a past thread. I have fitted another intake system so I cannot do this myself. Possibly use an indoor/outdoor thermometer inside the hose. Worked well for me. -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

I fitted a K&N 57i kit to my series one 205, and I believe it has made a difference to the throttle response for sure, and I believe the fuel consumption has dropped as well.

From the factory airbox position, being directly over the exhaust, it already cooks the intake air more than mounting it at the front of the engine bay behind the left headlight. On the move, it would have to be drawing cooler air than the standard set up.

The induction noise is also much throatier as a result

To fit, you will have to remove the washer wiper bottle, remove all the brackets for the AFM, obtain a small angle piece of PVC pipe (does not get hot, so will not melt/droop) to help relocate the filter to the far side of the engine bay behind the left headlight, cut out a small piece of the grill in front of where the factory pick up point for the airflow sits, attach the brackets supplied in the kit and move the relay box slightly and it all fits in. The 57i kit is supplied for the 309 with a slightly wider engine bay, so you have to fiddle with the kit a bit to get it to fit, but its possible and worth the hour or two of messing around.

Chipper

How is the the set-up on a 405sr. I assume the the gti version of any car is already tuned to be sportier, would there be more noticeable gains from a "ordinary" car"

Quote Originally Posted by Shock
    What is the consensus on fitting k&n air filters to a 205 gti? Or the kits where you remove the best part of the intake system including the filter box? Are there any gains in hp and response? I have read and been told that the intake system on the car is good enough at standard, but the fact that it is only 2 inches wide and an inch high makes me think that a pod style filter that draws air from a larger (forced) pipe must provide more oxygen to the engine. You guys are the experts, whats the verdict??
    do u wants power or sound u should ask urself first..keep it original...if u want bit power and nice sound.(not a physco WRX sound) get K&N 57i air filter kit but u cant fit s3 gti or s2 gti because, bigger air flow meter and not fit..you have to move battery to boots.l belive thats better.and then nice deep sound.piper cross or other product l dont know about those,maybe they r good..goodluck but still l say keep original..

Quote Originally Posted by Shock
    do u wants power or sound u should ask urself first..keep it original...if u want bit power and nice sound.(not a physco WRX sound) get K&N 57i air filter kit but u cant fit s3 gti or s2 gti because, bigger air flow meter and not fit..you have to move battery to boots.l belive thats better.and then nice deep sound.piper cross or other product l dont know about those,maybe they r good..goodluck but still l say keep original..

Many years ago I had a modded 205 GTI, with a K&N in the std filter position, and ran it on the dyno. I then ran it with the pipe removed from the Air Flow Meter and so deleted the intake pipes and filter.

I did both tests with the bonnet open, and with all of the piping and filter negated, made 1 HP extra at the wheels, which I am sure would have been made up by the ram air feed at 50+ Kph with the std setup. The AFM is the biggest problem on the intake side.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    hi shock, as youve already said the factory set up is great, and any after market pod filter will produce less hp, due to drawing hot air from the engine compartment. the only gain is a psycho WRC style soundtrack.

if your gonna fit a pod filter, insulate it from the hot engine air, in some sort of compartment, that also draws "clean" air from the outside, from some inlet.

if you do a search there are a few threads that explain this in more detail.

reggie said it all.
    i once saw a picture of a setup that used a motec instaed of afm.
    it enable you to put the pod nearly right on the throttle body .
    a bracket was made as to box it in around were the standard air intake pipe comes into the engine bay.
    looked the ducks nuts and most probably really worked well although ive never actually seen it i cany say for sure.
    also a 405 straight pipe can be used to get the pod in behind the headlight,you can also drill holes in the bottom of the guard for cold air flow.you gotta move the wiper bottle tho.
    ive been flipping up and down on this issue myself and have deciced to do exactly what reggie has done-k and n replacment filter on the standard set-up.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

I think the main issue is the fact that hot air has less oxygen per litre than cold air .
    this is the main reason i dont like an open pod in the engine bay,it must draw hotter air therefore reducing the amount of actual oxygen per litre than cold air being drawn from the front of the car,less o2 less bang for your buck.
    a pod in an enclosed box drwing from the original air intake may work well.

the air will still get warmed in the oe set up due to the filter box being right above the manifold but im sure the air would be cooler than being drawn directly from the engine bay into a pod.?????????
    it would be interesting to get cars with the oe and pod set up and do some tests just to see once and for all if the pod does actually have any gains apart from the extra noise factor.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Naa me and Reggie have already tested it... I started behind him at the lights and dragged him to about 120kph and was about 35 meters in front of him. Both 205's one with pod filter and the other with factory set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Naa me and Reggie have already tested it... I started behind him at the lights and dragged him to about 120kph and was about 35 meters in front of him. Both 205's one with pod filter and the other with factory set up.
    But which car had which set-up? and who's car(driver) was lighter?
    205gti

your not a fisherman by any chance????http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/ima...con10.gif-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

I s that true or are you joking?????
    must be something different other than an air filter to get 35 metres ahead in identical cars.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

al

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    must be something different other than an air filter to get 35 metres ahead in identical cars.
    -BAZZ
    Don't forget reggie was in the other one...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Don't forget reggie was in the other one...

Yeah, that whole power to weight ratio thing.......
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

haha... get stuffed funny kents!

35 metres in front?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    -BAZZ
    yeah, its only a race if there are two people racing!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    haha... get stuffed funny kents!

35 metres in front?!!!

yeah, its only a race if there are two people racing!
    Mate they way u dropped the clutch that night sounded to me like you were racing!

Mate they way u dropped the clutch that night sounded to me like you were racing!
    get stuffed kent! the only clutch dump i heard was from you behind!

i remember the night well - even up to what you were wearing that night!

mate even with my weight disadvantage i wouldve still blown the doors off your 205si with the fully hektik pod filer! ha!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

AHHA it would have been like that Fat VS skinny segment on braniac AHAH

Oi reggie when is your next swingers night?

I heard you bought a 205 asanka... maybe next time the forum has a sucial gathering you can show me this 205 of yours.

And reggie at least my 205 is a 205 and not a barina!

Anyway pod filters feed cold air into the engine and everyone knows cold air burns better.

I heard you bought a 205 asanka... maybe next time the forum has a sucial gathering you can show me this 205 of yours.
    bring a keg of petrol and well have a bonfire first, then push it off a cliff.

And reggie at least my 205 is a 205 and not a barina!
    bro when my 205gtis grow up they want to be 205si autos with arch extensions and a fully hektik pod filter, just like yours!

Anyway pod filters feed cold air into the engine and everyone knows cold air burns better.
    yah cold air burns better, but wheres this source of cold air? an outside feed or from hot engine air?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Default Pod vs Std Airfilters

Boyz.......

I have ran a temp probe on my pod which has a cold air supply, it doesnt see any heat unless sitting at traffic lights for ages.

As with all NA motors, no huge gains will be seen with just simple straight bolt ons. A combination of improvements ie exhaust, induction, removing the passenger seats will see some gains.....

If anybody in Melbourne wants to do a test between the two or even three set ups ie standard vs straight pod vs pod with a cold air supply, let me know as I will gladly loan the temp probe out..... it would be good to see some actual results.

I was only joking about the seat!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information