Solex 32 35 TMIMA
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default Solex 32 35 TMIMA

    Good day fellows

    Advertisement


    OK I have had it with my old Solex 32/35 SEIEA, same fuel consumption every time tuned without any slightly difference ( 12L/100K High way - 15L/100K city driving ) even after installing electronic ignition and 5th gear also the same figures , I have no leaks, tank is fine, lines are fine, I really don't know what's the problem
    Yesterday I fetched a 505 Solex 32/35 TMIMA ( still haven't paid for it ) and was told it would work better than mine but from reading threads today on this topic I found that you guys aren't really fans of this carby ( specially Graham ) or I didn't find much info about it's consumption figures, I know that you would all recommend my old carby but if it's in good condition, Webers aren't available here and Zenith ( electric ) are not powerful, could you give me details on TMIMA carby?
    I'm going to my mechanic to test it tomorrow, any recommendations or suggestions???

    Amr
    1975 504GL

  2. #2
    Member ahonda55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    cairo - Egypt
    Posts
    46

    Default

    hi amr, look i have this carb. exactly what you are talking about, i see it is good carburetor.
    my car makes 7Km per litre inside the city, but i have changed the carburetor jets, now it is 130-140.
    with the old jets (117-130) it was make 8Km per litre.
    my car acceleration is good (i think) , about 10 seconds 0-100 and revs easilly to 6000 .
    the cold start choke was working good, but this days it does not work (i don't know why)
    the carburetor is really easy to work with and repair, very simple. i fix it everytime and clean it by myself. i see it is better than the Zineth, cuz the zineth is complicated and has to many parts.
    the solex has a pedal operated second choke, the zineth has a vacuume operated one, that meks the zinteh better on fuel economy I THINK. but the solex is better on the acceleration way and makes a lovely sound when you groung the pedal to fully open the second choke

    anyway, that was my point of view only, i hopw you get the best for your car

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    amremarah;
    I am not sure what weber carbies you have access to over there in the Mid East.
    Have a look at this thread and it will give an insight into what's available.
    and yet another improvement......
    Good luck,
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  4. #4
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    amremarah;
    I am not sure what weber carbies you have access to over there in the Mid East.
    Have a look at this thread and it will give an insight into what's available.
    and yet another improvement......
    Good luck,
    Chris
    Ya Chris I read this thread before and it is a fabioulos conversion but unfortunlly we have no Ford falcons here so it's impossible to achieve it

    and Ahmed I hate to say it but your consumption is even worse than mine, with your calculations I make 8k/L city driving

    Amr
    1975 504GL

  5. #5
    Member ahonda55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    cairo - Egypt
    Posts
    46

    Default

    that is right, in fact i know that, and i could make it better, but acceleration is my aim !! performance comes first
    and i don't drive for too long during the day, so i don't have a big problem on that way.

    Ahmed

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    amremarah,
    I know that one guy form here, Thanos has a 34ADM and he is based in Greece. I have no idea how he got it but they must be available somewhere else other than Australia. I wobnder how much shipping would be to you for one. They are very cheap here, $50 would get a working one. As said the best feature is the electric choke.
    A 36DGAS that Weber recommend for Jeeps would also be a good option.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  7. #7
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    amremarah,
    I know that one guy form here, Thanos has a 34ADM and he is based in Greece. I have no idea how he got it but they must be available somewhere else other than Australia. I wobnder how much shipping would be to you for one. They are very cheap here, $50 would get a working one. As said the best feature is the electric choke.
    A 36DGAS that Weber recommend for Jeeps would also be a good option.
    Chris, thanks for your concern, guess I'll try to contact Thanos cause shipping from Greece will be much cheaper than from Australia, but are you sure of that price $50??...I'll try to ask how much shipping would cost from Australia

    Amr
    1975 504GL

  8. #8
    VIP Sponsor richo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hobart, the other planet
    Posts
    1,445

    Default Postage of a carby

    Aussie Post would charge aprox. $42 for a carb to Egypt, that's working on either the prepaid pack ( 2kg ) or 2kg via Economy Air.
    The aircleaner would be similar, but wouldn't fit in a prepaid pack.
    The carbs should be easy to find, perhaps the aircleaners too - XE Falcons are considered pretty old here now.
    Hope this helps.
    cheers
    richo

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    As jackafrica says amremarah, XE falcons are almost vintage here now and parts are cheap as chips, so to speak! There is a Ford wrecker not far from me here too.
    Let me know if you need any help.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amremarah
    Chris, thanks for your concern, guess I'll try to contact Thanos cause shipping from Greece will be much cheaper than from Australia, but are you sure of that price $50??...I'll try to ask how much shipping would cost from Australia

    Amr
    Hello Amr

    You are much better off buying in Australia, they cost around 150 euros here without the air filter housing and shipping costs about the same as shipping from Australia.

    BTW, we installed the BA7/5 in the 504, many thanks again for the how-to photos, they were very helpful.

    Thanos

  11. #11
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    As jackafrica says amremarah, XE falcons are almost vintage here now and parts are cheap as chips, so to speak! There is a Ford wrecker not far from me here too.
    Let me know if you need any help.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris

    I'm getting warmed up here, $30 for the Weber and $42 for shipping, I think that sounds great.
    OK.....,I want one
    Chris what will be the procedures of buying, shipping and payement methods
    you said that there is Ford wrecker neer you....not to be rude, if not hard on you could you fetch me one in good condition also could you ask for me about it's air filter price and will I need a repair tool kit
    I'll be very greatful for your help Chris
    note: $$is for Australian dollars or US dollars??

    Amr
    1975 504GL

  12. #12
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Hello Amr

    You are much better off buying in Australia, they cost around 150 euros here without the air filter housing and shipping costs about the same as shipping from Australia.

    BTW, we installed the BA7/5 in the 504, many thanks again for the how-to photos, they were very helpful.

    Thanos
    Thanos

    I'm very glade to here that you have succesfully installed your BA7/5, it's really a tough gearbox, take care of it and ENJOY
    1975 504GL

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amremarah
    Chris

    I'm getting warmed up here, $30 for the Weber and $42 for shipping, I think that sounds great.
    OK.....,I want one
    Chris what will be the procedures of buying, shipping and payement methods
    you said that there is Ford wrecker neer you....not to be rude, if not hard on you could you fetch me one in good condition also could you ask for me about it's air filter price and will I need a repair tool kit
    I'll be very greatful for your help Chris
    note: $$is for Australian dollars or US dollars??

    Amr
    Amr,
    I'd be happy to look into getting a weber for you. The stock air filter is a huge thing as seen in the pics in the mentioned thread. Are you sure you want one like that as I think a cold air intake and pod could be the way to go because freight on that as well may be more un-necessary expence??
    I will chase a kit for the carbie too.
    Give me a few days and I will get back to you.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  14. #14
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Amr,
    I'd be happy to look into getting a weber for you. The stock air filter is a huge thing as seen in the pics in the mentioned thread. Are you sure you want one like that as I think a cold air intake and pod could be the way to go because freight on that as well may be more un-necessary expence??
    I will chase a kit for the carbie too.
    Give me a few days and I will get back to you.
    Chris, I'm all happy thank you
    sorry for not knowing but I have 2 questions:
    1- how will the intake bolt to the carb?
    2- Aren't they expensive?
    if it's ok then it's a go

    Amr
    1975 504GL

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts edgedweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CLARE SA
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    BTW, we installed the BA7/5 in the 504, many thanks again for the how-to photos, they were very helpful.Thanos
    Thanos, good fellow, any chance you could recycle those photos my way?

    with thanks

    ed ge

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Thanos, good fellow, any chance you could recycle those photos my way?

    with thanks

    ed ge

    Edge

    They are near the end of this thread

    Intalling a BA7/5 in a 504

    The following information may also be helpful:

    We used a clutch fork, throw-out bearing, linkages, shifter, AND TRANNY MOUNTING BOLTS from a 505 . The little hydraulic pump (is it called a slave cylinder?) from the BA7/4 also did not fit but we found one from a Simca that fit perfectly. The 4.11 LSD also came from a USA 505 STI, so the only part from the 504 left was the torque tube. The speedometer cable had to be made because the old one did not fit. It took about six hours for the swap job.

    It's a great upgrade. Now I can install the 4.62 LSD and shift to fifth when the car revs to 6000 rpm's at 150 km/h in fourth.

    Thanos

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amremarah
    Chris, I'm all happy thank you
    sorry for not knowing but I have 2 questions:
    1- how will the intake bolt to the carb?
    2- Aren't they expensive?
    if it's ok then it's a go

    Amr
    Amr,
    I didn't mean a mass production cold air intake, sorry. I meant if you fabrciated something yourself it would be less expensive than getting an air cleaner sent from here. If you want a stock one I can get a price on that too.
    Actually the top section of the weber is very close in size and shape to the standard peugeot-solex air adaptor so I think even the original air cleaner would do with a slight mod!
    I just suggested a cold air intake as I felt that would be abetter way to go if you didn't get the falcon air element as I have seen some of these carbies in use over here with the old 'Warnerford' or 'Rally'air cleaner elements fitted and this would put the intake right in the middle of the engine bay above the motor and it would be drawing hot air and that wouldn't be good.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  18. #18
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Chris

    I found the Weber here it's in excellent condition but it's a 34 ADF anyway I compared it with the pics here and their was no difference except it has mechanical chock not electric, it's of a Fait 132 2.0L, went to the mechanic and installed it and WOW......awesome power, really improved the beast.
    I still didn't figure out consumption figures, tommorow I'll check jet sizes and all that stuff inside.
    ok the question...is their any difference between the ADM and ADF? is it only the electric and mechanic chock?
    Chris I really thank you for the help you offered and I think this Weber will be the go

    Amr
    1975 504GL

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    As i now have a daily driver and a project body i am hoping to make one awesome car and one that is my shopping centre basher.

    I need to get me one of these awesome webbers.

    Can i go to mr ford wrecker and say i want a such and such carby? or are there certain models that i can grab one off?

    Can you get kits for them? I have no idea how good i would be at tuning a carby so could i just rebuild one and hope for the best?

    I have been folowing all these 504 threads recently with interest, maybe i should just go ti instead but i am a fan of carbie models at heart

    thanks

    shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    As i now have a daily driver and a project body i am hoping to make one awesome car and one that is my shopping centre basher.

    I need to get me one of these awesome webbers.

    Can i go to mr ford wrecker and say i want a such and such carby? or are there certain models that i can grab one off?

    Can you get kits for them? I have no idea how good i would be at tuning a carby so could i just rebuild one and hope for the best?

    I have been folowing all these 504 threads recently with interest, maybe i should just go ti instead but i am a fan of carbie models at heart

    thanks

    shobbz
    Go carby or Megasquirt, most Ti injection systems are problematic. HKP has described in detail how to use a good carby from a Falcon. I have a twin carby from a 604 on mine and it goes great, but it has no choke and I had to machine an adaptor plate. Both types are fairly easy to rebuild. I will be using Webber 40DCOE's on mine as soon as the engine rebuild is complete and I will post the settings when I am done.

    Thanos

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    ShobbzThe carbie in question is the Weber 34ADM from an XE Falcon. The great thing about them as mentioned is the electronic choke mechanism which is far superior and much more reliable than the water chokes on most others.
    Yes kits are available I'd say most auto suppliers would have access to them.

    Amr....
    Great news about the ADF carbie. I had a Fiat 132 2 litre years ago and that is what was fitted to it I think. If you go to this site...a weber supplier they have lisitngs for aftermarket electric choke kits available.
    This first one has electric chokes...http://www.carburetion.com/parts.htm
    Not sure how much you have seen..this is good too...http://www.redlineweber.com/Redline1.htm
    Good luck guys.

    (disclaimer...I do not propose to be an expert on this stuff just a knowledgable guide )
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Arusha
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Im one of those who are negatively disposed towards the TMIMA carby and to some extent I still am. Why? because the thing is difficult to get right and even a brand new one I bought required attention to perform properly. In the end I decided to move all parts, including jets, linkages, choke and top cover unto the old throttlehouseing (not sure of the correct term- the main bottom part of the carby housing the float chamber) and it now works fine.. after disassembling the autochoke and oiling all the parts as it was sticking. So now I have a good carby that starts well cold/hot and runs well on fuel. The only greivance that I have with it, including the old one, is that it has a tendancy to block the idling jet ever so often. I can hardly make a long journey or drive it in town for a month without it starting at one point or another. Fortunately it only takes 3 mintues to screw off the jet and blow it clear but cant help thinking of the old granny who fortunately doesnt own the car. Would she be taking it to the workshop every month with that problem? Somehow its not really satisfactory...
    Peugeot freak from East Africa..

    1959> 203 saloon x2
    1969> 404L Break
    1986> 505GL Estate

  23. #23
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Job's done
    After a full clean to the Weber it gave much more POWER than I thought, I just press slightly on the acc. and I mean slightly and Waaaaay she goes and when opening this baby's second throat.....a rocket on the road, I achieved 110 km/h on third gear at 4500 RPM
    still haven't time to calculate consumption figures but I think it will give more better fuel economy.
    And Yes just as Owen said..it is a recommended and powerful conversion
    Here are some photos of installation procedures, hope they are helpful
    note :Yes I did install my good old oil bath filter cause the air filter that came with the Weber looked stupid and the hood was hardly closed....I'm still considering how a cold air intake could be installed without a mess
    Weber info:
    34 ADF54 250
    Primary jet 122.5
    Secondary jet 130
    Idle jet 47.5

    Amr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solex 32 35 TMIMA-dsc00001.jpg   Solex 32 35 TMIMA-dsc00002.jpg   Solex 32 35 TMIMA-dsc00003.jpg   Solex 32 35 TMIMA-dsc00005.jpg   Solex 32 35 TMIMA-dsc00006.jpg  
    1975 504GL

  24. #24
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,694

    Default Solex TMIMA..

    Quote Originally Posted by amremarah
    Chris

    I found the Weber here it's in excellent condition but it's a 34 ADF anyway I compared it with the pics here and their was no difference except it has mechanical chock not electric, it's of a Fait 132 2.0L, went to the mechanic and installed it and WOW......awesome power, really improved the beast.
    I still didn't figure out consumption figures, tommorow I'll check jet sizes and all that stuff inside.
    ok the question...is their any difference between the ADM and ADF? is it only the electric and mechanic chock?
    Chris I really thank you for the help you offered and I think this Weber will be the go

    Amr
    Amr,
    What size is your Fiat Weber ? It will be stamped on the rear of the carb.
    I have one that came off a Fiat 131 with the 1600 motor. I thought it to be too small.
    Can I offer you some advice ? Might I suggest you rethink the Peugeot throttle drum on the extended shaft. The length of the shaft will quickly wear the carb body. Would it have been possible to connect the cable to the original Weber ball lever?
    Also, make sure the fuel connection on the Weber is secure, they were known to pull out, causing fires. I replaced mine with a !/8th" gas to 6mm tail fitting to make it a screw in fit and also to give the correct fuel line size.
    You could also tidy up the old Fiat fuel return with a plug of the above measurements.
    Your carby shop or hydraulics supply may help here.

  25. #25
    Member amremarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cairo / Egypt
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Amr,
    What size is your Fiat Weber ? It will be stamped on the rear of the carb.
    I have one that came off a Fiat 131 with the 1600 motor. I thought it to be too small.
    Can I offer you some advice ? Might I suggest you rethink the Peugeot throttle drum on the extended shaft. The length of the shaft will quickly wear the carb body. Would it have been possible to connect the cable to the original Weber ball lever?
    Also, make sure the fuel connection on the Weber is secure, they were known to pull out, causing fires. I replaced mine with a !/8th" gas to 6mm tail fitting to make it a screw in fit and also to give the correct fuel line size.
    You could also tidy up the old Fiat fuel return with a plug of the above measurements.
    Your carby shop or hydraulics supply may help here.
    Ya thanks Wild, I already considered what you said and did the exact same thing
    Thanks

    Amr
    1975 504GL

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •