Omg Someone Help 405 S Issue!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Omg Someone Help 405 S Issue!!!

Ok....so i caused this one, i decided to let the 405 breathe a bit more. So i bought a ractive cone, removed the airbox, installed the cone, mounted it to the mass airflow module, the bosch one. i made sure there where no leaks in the system nor the maf hose.... and well she started sputtering..., throttle response is slow, and she is behaving as if there is a leak in the maf hose.... any ideas on this???? is she breathing in too much???

Advertisement

ok here is a diagram...could it be the ecu thats confused now, or is it breathing too well and should i constrict the airflow???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Omg Someone Help 405 S Issue!!!-diagram.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ecosse405
    Ok....so i caused this one, i decided to let the 405 breathe a bit more. So i bought a ractive cone, removed the airbox, installed the cone, mounted it to the mass airflow module, the bosch one. i made sure there where no leaks in the system nor the maf hose.... and well she started sputtering..., throttle response is slow, and she is behaving as if there is a leak in the maf hose.... any ideas on this???? is she breathing in too much???
    I think you have to leave some tubing between the module and the filter on most cars??? That's the extent of my knowledge
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    I think you have to leave some tubing between the module and the filter on most cars??? That's the extent of my knowledge
    Hmmm, i will have to try that tomorrow... i am at a serious loss as to what the issue is... I am going to try and constrict the airflow from the cone and see what happens... maybe i missed a leak in the maf? i don t know..

Gus

How does it run without the air cleaner on it at all?

it still runs like bum.... Its raining ballz here now, so i am SOL on working on it today..... frigg... I will update though when i get another chance under the hood.

Default why does it need to "breathe a bit more"?

Ecosse,

if you read the many other threads on this website about intake mods you should realise that the sort of mod you have tried is very unlikely to work.

First it assumes that the Pug engineers did not know what they were doing when they designed the intake system and aircleaner and allowed their cars to be produced with expensive and complicated systems that compromised performance. There are threads here where others have acutally measured the vacuum in the standard induction systems and shown that even at high revs there is negligible airflow restriction in them. And they are so much quieter.

Second you need to understand that a petrol engine induction system is a very complex, dynamic system where all the parts interact with one another in not obvious ways. An example of this is the empty chamber attached to the hose connecting the air cleaner and the throttle body on my 405 Mi16 SII or the air cleaner casing that is about twice as big as the aircleaner itself on my old 205Si. One of the factors that affects performance on these systems is the volume of air in the system as this affects the resonances - just like the size of a woodwind or brass musical instrument affects its notes and range. just chopping all this off will make a big difference to the air volume in the system.

Of course if you are building a very high performance engine with big valves, high lift cams and high revs etc. then you might acheive gains by changing this stuff - but then you would be into separate throttle body systems for each cylinder and all bets would be off...

I suggest that you put the original system back, change your air filter regularly or get a unifilter and wash it regularly and save your money.

Trevor
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Thread Information