Leaking fuel tank sender hole?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Leaking fuel tank sender hole?

Hey guys,

I took the fuel tank out of my car (505SRDT) today to clean the dodgey sender and putting it back in was fine, until I had the tank full to the brim. There is a patch of diesel under the car. Neither the send or return hoses are leaking and there's no diesel in the boot, so without pulling the tank back out again I'm assuming it's the fuel gauge sender hole? Has anyone ever had a leaking sender hole before and what was the remedy? A new rubber seal?

Advertisement

If I fill the car to the brim, will it overflow back out the fuel cap and down into that drainage hole? Is this what I'm actually seeing? Usually, if I'm filling the tank to the brim, I'll do 300 kms immediately and hence I've never seen leaking fuel before. Help!! It's just a few drips at the moment, not a gusher.

Steve.

ps. On a similar note, there were two little rubber hoses coming down from "somewhere" when I had the tank out. I take it one is from near the beforementioned fuelling point drainage hole... where does the other one come from?
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    Hey guys,

I took the fuel tank out of my car (505SRDT) today to clean the dodgey sender and putting it back in was fine, until I had the tank full to the brim. There is a patch of diesel under the car. Neither the send or return hoses are leaking and there's no diesel in the boot, so without pulling the tank back out again I'm assuming it's the fuel gauge sender hole? Has anyone ever had a leaking sender hole before and what was the remedy? A new rubber seal?

If I fill the car to the brim, will it overflow back out the fuel cap and down into that drainage hole? Is this what I'm actually seeing? Usually, if I'm filling the tank to the brim, I'll do 300 kms immediately and hence I've never seen leaking fuel before. Help!! It's just a few drips at the moment, not a gusher.

Steve.

ps. On a similar note, there were two little rubber hoses coming down from "somewhere" when I had the tank out. I take it one is from near the beforementioned fuelling point drainage hole... where does the other one come from?

one goes to the filler pipe, its a breather for when you fill the car at the bowser......

the other is another breather that goes to the charcoal canister.........

last time i pulled my tank out i had the same problem, i can almost gaurantee that one of the two hoses arnt conected to the top of the tank, its a real pain in the arse to conect them while puting the tank in, i had the tank out twice on account of those hoses.

Thread Information