Interior water leak 205gti.
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default Interior water leak 205gti.

Okay, another problem has emerged on the 205gti and that is that water is leaking into the cabin from behind the glovebox. It is plain water, not coolant, so I know that it isn't the heater core. I'm guessing that it is either condensation from the air con or water isn't draining away from the bonnet seals or something due to our rather muggy rainy weather of late. If it is the drainage holes, where are they?? The drips seem to be coming out of the blower fan, which probably isn't the best situation.

Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

The blower fan is right below a large circular hole in the gutter at the bottom of the windscreen: this is the air intake for the cabin. When water runs down off the windscreen into that gutter it is prevented from pouring into the intake hole (and down past the fan into the passenger footwell) by a metal lip about 1 cm high. Fitted onto that lip is a rubber height-extension. If the rubber has perished and/or leaves have built up in the narrow gap between the intake and the gutter wall, then you could easily have a leak. Another possibility is damage to the black plastic grille that bridges the gutter from the windscreen to the bonnet. The section of that grille above the intake should be solid, and divert rain to either side of the air intake. To remove the grille you undo three screws along the front, and pull the rear edge out from under the windscreen surround. Before you do this make sure you have everything you may need to fix the problem as it takes patience and muttering to get the grille's rear edge back under the windscreen surround. You could apply silicone or Sikaflex to waterproof the lip and its height extension, and perhaps some mesh on top to prevent leaves getting into the intake or between the intake and the gutter wall.
    1980 604 [gone to a richer owner]
    1988 205 XLD Diesel

Old Peugeots never die, they just get more peculiar looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Certifiable
    The blower fan is right below a large circular hole in the gutter at the bottom of the windscreen: this is the air intake for the cabin. When water runs down off the windscreen into that gutter it is prevented from pouring into the intake hole (and down past the fan into the passenger footwell) by a metal lip about 1 cm high. Fitted onto that lip is a rubber height-extension. If the rubber has perished and/or leaves have built up in the narrow gap between the intake and the gutter wall, then you could easily have a leak. Another possibility is damage to the black plastic grille that bridges the gutter from the windscreen to the bonnet. The section of that grille above the intake should be solid, and divert rain to either side of the air intake. To remove the grille you undo three screws along the front, and pull the rear edge out from under the windscreen surround. Before you do this make sure you have everything you may need to fix the problem as it takes patience and muttering to get the grille's rear edge back under the windscreen surround. You could apply silicone or Sikaflex to waterproof the lip and its height extension, and perhaps some mesh on top to prevent leaves getting into the intake or between the intake and the gutter wall.
    you deffenetly right l had a same problem l fixed like your way

Thread Information