Steering racks in GLDs
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Member RASTEVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    99

    Default Steering racks in GLDs

    Hey froggers,

    I was wondering whether anyone has fitted steering off any 505s into the 504 GLD. My ol' man was having a look in there the other day and said, "it's like the missing digit on the odometer is a 6 or 7, you know like it's done 700,000kms - the steering is shot". I know you petrol guys out there are putting in SR racks and the like, but is there much/enough space in a GLD, if anyone knows at all.

    Cheers, Steve.

    Advertisement
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    Hey froggers,

    I was wondering whether anyone has fitted steering off any 505s into the 504 GLD. My ol' man was having a look in there the other day and said, "it's like the missing digit on the odometer is a 6 or 7, you know like it's done 700,000kms - the steering is shot". I know you petrol guys out there are putting in SR racks and the like, but is there much/enough space in a GLD, if anyone knows at all.

    Cheers, Steve.
    The 505 GR rack will fit, I've got one available.
    How did you go with the 604 brakes?
    Graham

  3. #3
    Member RASTEVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The 505 GR rack will fit, I've got one available.
    How did you go with the 604 brakes?
    Graham
    I went the day after your message. Just ended up coming away with a boot lid gas strut for my 505 and a pocket full of globes for the lights. From memory, most of the 604s were stripped in the front brake department, except the front right of one of them, which looked pretty cactus. Is there some wear depth level which renders the brake unacceptable? I guess the rust that gets on them isn't too much of a problem?

    Perhaps I should bring it around and you can take it for a drive Graham? I've got a few days left on the unregistered vehicle permit. My dad drove it from his place to my place today and simply said, "it's a $3000 to get this car road worthied". It's 22 years since he's driven a 504 and I tend to think most of his diagnoses are like a lucky dip.
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

  4. #4
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    I went the day after your message. Just ended up coming away with a boot lid gas strut for my 505 and a pocket full of globes for the lights. From memory, most of the 604s were stripped in the front brake department, except the front right of one of them, which looked pretty cactus. Is there some wear depth level which renders the brake unacceptable? I guess the rust that gets on them isn't too much of a problem?

    Perhaps I should bring it around and you can take it for a drive Graham? I've got a few days left on the unregistered vehicle permit. My dad drove it from his place to my place today and simply said, "it's a $3000 to get this car road worthied". It's 22 years since he's driven a 504 and I tend to think most of his diagnoses are like a lucky dip.
    That was quick, they were there the other day.
    Graham

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •