Changed Headlights
  • Register
  • Help

Default Changed Headlights

So, 18 months & 5 days after i bought my 180 one of the headlights blew last night. Considering I never replaced the headlights in my 306 during 4 years of ownership, I think this is pretty poor.

Advertisement

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. I bought some new bulbs today & managed to get them changed in about 5 minutes. But, I seem to have done something wrong, because they seem very uneven in height. With my car sitting about 3 feet from the wall of the garage there is between 6-9 inches difference. I made sure to install the new lights in the exact same way the old ones were.

Can anybody suggest where I went wrong?

Fellow Frogger!

You will probably find one of the bulbs has not seated correctly.

Same happened with my 406 after I had bulbs fitted after a 300km trip I parked against a wall and one light was out of alignment.

The bulb has different sized "flats" and as I found out can get seated in the wrong flats receptical.

Did you find you can remove the filler neck tube for the washer bottle to gain easier access to the drivers side?

Cheers
    Graelin

Ps buy another bulb for the other side, i bet it was dip beam.
    my 138 blew a bulb last year and then within a week the other side went. We are thinking it has something to do with the auto lights on turning bulbs on and off more frequently

I just went out & removed both bulbs & put them back in. They are now sitting at the same level. Although for some reason it looks a little low to me. That could possibly be due to the different type of bulbs I bought. They are much "whiter", so maybe the direct beam stands out more. Apparently are a xenon affect, but i've never seen a halogen which could give off a true xenon light.

Thanks for the reply Graelin. I did replace both bulbs. I don't think it's worth only replacing one. Anyway, when I pulled out the "good" bulb, the filament coil looked like it wasn't far off going anyway.

Oh yeah, I did remove the water bottle neck. But a lot of the other instructions on 206gti.net weren't needed. It was MUCH easier than I expected. Not one cut to show for it!!!

What brand/type of globes did you end up purchasing, Industrie?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    So, 18 months & 5 days after i bought my 180 one of the headlights blew last night. Considering I never replaced the headlights in my 306 during 4 years of ownership, I think this is pretty poor.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread.

I know you said that the fact the globe didn't last long wasn't the point of the thread, but this bubl blowing thing is quite common with sports cars on low profile tyres. Even i noticed it when i went from 15's to 17's in the 6&abit years I had my 306.
    I do know of several people that report I blew a bulb (and they happen to have low profile tyres), & i put this down to the fact that higher profiled tyres soak up rough bumps better than low profile tyres. One way to kill any bulb is to shake it specially when it in its transient temp stage (ie going from hot to cold or vice versa).... anyway thats worth really. But @ about $35 for a descent pair of H4's it makes you wonder... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    What brand/type of globes did you end up purchasing, Industrie?
    Bought Narva - Arctic Blue (no they don't actually shine blue, but a bright white) H7 55w

Thread Information