new exhaust for my 205 gti S3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default new exhaust for my 205 gti S3

My cat has gone, and now also after reversing quickly off a gutter there also seems to be a hole/gap somewhere. I have been putting it off for a while now, but now its gotta happen.
    What would you guys recommend as a performance type replacement for a cat back exhaust.
    Maybe some Specs for me to take to any one you would recommended in sydney and possible price variations.
    I cant exactly afford full stainless, but if the price is right then im in.
    I rang best mufflers and they quoted me around 600. This is with an x-force stainless muffler, and steel piping. But Im not sure if it would be suitable.
    Thanks for any ideas
    Matt

Also...sigh...its idling irregularly and has since i got it, but the cat was stuffed then. Would this cause that problem?

Advertisement
    205 GTI '91' Series III - Sorrento Green...Slightly Stock

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by spiral27
    My cat has gone, and now also after reversing quickly off a gutter there also seems to be a hole/gap somewhere. I have been putting it off for a while now, but now its gotta happen.
    What would you guys recommend as a performance type replacement for a cat back exhaust.
    Maybe some Specs for me to take to any one you would recommended in sydney and possible price variations.
    I cant exactly afford full stainless, but if the price is right then im in.
    I rang best mufflers and they quoted me around 600. This is with an x-force stainless muffler, and steel piping. But Im not sure if it would be suitable.
    Thanks for any ideas
    Matt

Also...sigh...its idling irregularly and has since i got it, but the cat was stuffed then. Would this cause that problem?

Don't do it, you won't gain any power, you'll just get a headache from the noise.
    If undeterred you can have my "sports" system for $50 and I'll go and buy a new standard setup!

Graham

al

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Don't do it, you won't gain any power, you'll just get a headache from the noise.
    If undeterred you can have my "sports" system for $50 and I'll go and buy a new standard setup!

Graham
    Graham, i'll give you $50 for it! Seriously, if you want to sell it send a PM... I like my cars loud, but the current muffler looks stupid.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

ive read and been told that Peugeot spent alotta time on the exhaust system of the 205. also that by installing a "sport" or aftermarket exhaust it usually tends to decrease performance. yes it might turn heads for a while but i dont think its worth the headache that comes with it. my choice when the exhaust needs replacing will be standard(stock).
    BUT: ive also read that the cat can be replaced by one from a VLturbo or similar to improve flow & size is the same(i think).
    Puggy.

I've had a few 205 exhausts done. My favourite is a 2.25" system, comprising of a high flow cat., resonator and then a triple flow rear muffler with a 2" tail pipe.

Parramatta Exhaust Centre

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I've had a few 205 exhausts done. My favourite is a 2.25" system, comprising of a high flow cat., resonator and then a triple flow rear muffler with a 2" tail pipe.

After looking at an available "standard" rear muffler I will have a further look around. Is the system you mentioned noisy inside the car, Peter?
    Graham

Not with the 2" tailpipe. Yes with the 2.5" tailpipe. If you wanted to be really cautious, use a 2" rear muffler.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter, what is your favorite setup for a 405mi16 (or bx 16v)?

My exhaust should probably be replaced after the rebuild.

Thanks,

Dave

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

We had a sports exhaust on the 205 which was quite loud and the previous owner has obviously put a straight through tube in the cat. When we got the exhaust replaced with a proper Bosul one that Pug recommend power output definitely decreased, especially in the higher rev range. Get a sports one, you know it makes sense.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Tadpole

Ok so whats the verdict?
    Is the standard for the headers, 2" or 2 1/4"?
    It seems like some idiot has had a new muffler and centre pice put on at less than 2" and that may have helped the old cat blow.
    Its now getting really loud.
    Should it be 2 1/4 high flow right through? with just a standard muffler?
    205 GTI '91' Series III - Sorrento Green...Slightly Stock

moosey

Peter, would this work on an Si or would you recommend a smaller diameter? I'm not worried about noise as it will 99% be for track use.

I bought my car which had some crappy Midas muffler fitted, which resonated like crazy at 100 km/h in fifth gear ... drove me crazy!

I couldn't take it in the end and threw it out, and got an original spec French exhaust fitted.

I would go with the 2.25in system that peter is talking about. I have had a few on teh 205 and this seems to be the best. The absolute best one was a Magnex that the previous owner had imported from the UK and it was great. Noise wasent intrusive and was great on the freeway. Mind you it cost 1300 plus delivery but was stainless and had a lifetime warrenty.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Funnily enough, that is exactly what i have done for mine, plus I had a flexijoint put in just before the cat.

Didnt make anymore power, but combined with the custom headers, the engine certainly seemed happier to spin out to the higher revs.

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by moosey
    Peter, would this work on an Si or would you recommend a smaller diameter? I'm not worried about noise as it will 99% be for track use.
    I need to do my Si in the next week or so. Not concerned about noise as its for club motorsport. I'm thinking cat-back 2". Any thought?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by moosey
    I need to do my Si in the next week or so. Not concerned about noise as its for club motorsport. I'm thinking cat-back 2". Any thought?
    My Si had a standard (Walker) system and showed no sign of any restriction, don't waste your money.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 18th March 2006 at 01:48 PM.

moosey

The rear muffler is U/S (in fact it was last seen sitting by a garbage bin somewhere south of Sydney) - so I need to buy/fit something.
    Mind you it sounds pretty damn good atm with no back box

So assuming that a factory spec is going to be about the same cost as a sports system, any suggestions?

For an Si I'd use 2" all the way through.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

moosey

Thanks Peter. Will get something sorted this week.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    My Si had a standard (Walker) system and showed no sign of any restriction, don't waste your money.
    Graham
    My current system is a walker rear muffler,peugeot oe mid muffler,commodore high flow cat and 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe with twin tips on the muffler.
    works well.
    cost 500 for the exhaust then 350 for the cat about a year later.
    Was done at the local midas and its been on for about 2-3 years with no complaints.
    i dont do track work just some very spirited driving so i went for cost over bling.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

I'm looking at an OEM replacement exhaust as my car was fitted with an after market one by the previous owner. The issue is I do not know what to replace.
    I understand the rear muffler has to be replaced and I got a price from Peugeot. What I don't know is if the middle section of the exhaust has to be replaced back to OEM. Is this something that is usually replaced with an after market item or is just left alone?
    The part I am talking about is item 2 (labeled exhaust pipe) on this website.

Default pipe size

How does larger pipe size affect (as noted decrease) the engine performance. I allways thought it was a case of fast in fast out.

Air movement through a pipe does not restrict if the pipe gets bigger! This is the same old fallacy as having back pressure to aid performance.

Anyway the dump pipe of the exhaust is 2 1/2 so go a 2 1/2 hi flow cat - 200 cpi if fine and after that you can suit yousrelf.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Im about to put an exforce variable on mine . Remote control model

http://www.xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29

Quote Originally Posted by 96306N3 View Post
    Im about to put an exforce variable on mine . Remote control model
    May be ok on a car that can generate a nice note but total waste of money for a 205!
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    May be ok on a car that can generate a nice note but total waste of money for a 205!
    I dont agree.
    As someone who has an obscenely noisy exhaust, I would relish the ability to dull it down from time to time, like when a lady is in the car, or when I want to just not sound like a bloody hoon.

One issue with a noisy exhaust is every ****** thinks you are trying to race them when you are just trying to get from a to b, and they pull stupid stunts to win their race like cutting you off when two lanes merge.

Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information