Diesel Pug with nowhere to go
  • Register
  • Help

Default Diesel Pug with nowhere to go

Twilight, narrow road only just wide enough for approaching vehicles to pass, sheer rock face on the left, guard rail with 150' foot drop on the right, blind corner; and there, right in the middle of my side of the road is a "lump". Now here in Tassie, 99% of "lumps" on the road are roadkill. Possums, devils, small wallabies etc. No possibility of going to the left of it, too dangerous to go to the right of it for fear of an oncoming car, too late to get much brakes on so no option but to run over it. Decided to go dead central as that's where maximum clearance lies. The "possum" was a rock that had fallen from the cliff face and was the size of a tenpin bowling ball. It smashed into the left towing eye and then the sump, pushing it in and splitting the metal. Of course all of the oil was lost but (hopefully) there's no damage to the engine...especially the turbo. I've put a WTB ad. in the "Parts" forum but I know that many Froggers don't go there often so if any of you have a 2.3 diesel sump in your shed or the back yard there's a needy 505 in Tassie!

Advertisement
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Default sump

TD, I've gota spare sump from an XD2. DOes anyone know if these are the same as the XD2S?
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Ouch!!!!!

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Yeeha... that's what dreams are made of and lift kits are made for!!

Did you shut your eyes the second before you drove over it?

Sorry to hear about the loss, but what a story hey? Did you get a photo? You could have stuffed the hole with grass, put some mud on there to hold it tight and it would have been right for another 50,000 kms I'm sure.
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

Default Just a leaking crack

Drained out the remaining oil (3 L) and checked the sump today. Looks like it's been kicked by a mule! There's a tiny crack in the metal and the actual hole is no more than 2mm long. I could actually screw a self-tapper in there with a leather washer and I'm confident that it would seal. (I've done this many times with 4WDs that have punctured fuel tanks in the bush) but I want this done properly. Photos?? Well when I get a chance I'll go out with the digital camera. In the meantime good ole Downunderyank has a sump and he and I will get together to remedy the situation. Thank goodness there was still an almost full sump and no (more) damage was done to the suspension or underbody.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Yikes, a bowling ball sized rock That's a bit of a scary situation to be in.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by tassiediesel
    The "possum" was a rock that had fallen from the cliff face and was the size of a tenpin bowling ball. It smashed into the left towing eye and then the sump, pushing it in and splitting the metal. Of course all of the oil was lost but (hopefully) there's no damage to the engine...especially the turbo.
    I can't understand who would be bowling with rocks in the mountains. That just sounds dangerous???
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information