95 306 Eurovox removal
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 95 306 Eurovox removal

I'm having trouble getting the factory tape deck out of a 95 306. It's a 63xx series Eurovox (same as VR/VS Commodore) with a narrow vertical slot on each side. I've tried using all kinds of metal things to release the clips but haven't had any luck. The slots are too narrow even for a coathanger, which kind of limits my options.

Anyone else had any success replacing these radios? Will I need to remove the centre console? And do Peugeots need an antenna adaptor for aftermarket headunits?

Cheers

Advertisement

You need to get some sheet metal that will fit in the slot and push in about 12mm to release the clips on each side that hold the unit into the bracket. Pull the unit out and unclip the wires and antenna. If you are lucky the wires will plug straight into the new unit, possibly need a 90 degree adaptor for the antenna. Adaptors for various different units are available also, in my 405 the eurovox unit had an adaptor on it already and the original plug went into the new unit - though I did have to remove and swap the power and the permanent power as it never remembered the time or station till I did that.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Tadpole

Thanks very much. The clips didn't need much to release, just about 1mm movement towards the middle. For others, the car's loom is just standard DIN plugs (the 306 Eurovox also has an adaptor). I didn't test the accessories / constant wires so I can't verify that. And the antenna plug will fit Pioneer aftermarket radios without an adaptor.

Cheers.

i had to pay 50$ to some guy he took it out, i couldnt do it no matter what I've tried

Tadpole

Yep, the permanent and accessories wires are definitely switched in the 306. The clock and radio memory share a 5 Amp circuit. The switched radio circuit is 10 Amp.

Tadpole

Hi all,

Just joining in on this thread... I've searched 'til my fingers have nearly dropped off, but can't find a solution.

I'm trying to replace my stereo head unit, and have successfully removed the existing one, and bought a new one. I've tried a variety of places looking for either an adapter plug or pins which I can splice or solder onto the wires of the new HU to fit into the existing female plug in the dash.

Can someone suggest the best way of connecting the new wires to the existing plug? And preferably in small words as I haven't done a lot of car tinkering in the past!

(As an aside, for those [like me] who struggled removing the head unit even with the suggestions of tootpicks and skewers, I resorted to pulling off the front centre bit of the console. In the 206, and possibly others, the surround of the hazard panic button in the centre of the dash slides with a bit of encouragement toward the windscreen, exposing 2 screws which once removed releases the cover plate around the stereo and a/c controls allowing rear access to the HU and clips)

Cheers, Kavan

Hi Kavan,

Welcome to

You make some big assumptions about our knowledge of your car to start with

First of all you should make it clear the car (206?), year (this is important) and model (XT?), then we also have no idea what type of unit you are installing.

206s (as far as I know) come with 2 rectangular plugs, called ISO connectors. One contains all the speaker connections (and it's usually white), and the other various other connections like 12V from battery, 12V from accessories, mute, etc. and this one is usually black.

If you find yourself only looking at one plug on the car side, look further back inside the dash, the 2 connectors may be already plugged into an adaptor for the head unit you've just pulled out.

The pins in these connectors are pretty much in standard order (hence the ISO term which is a standard of sorts). A lot of stereos you can buy will also have these same plugs (Clarion, VDO, Blaupunkt to name a few), but some will not. Most manufacturers of head units also produce adaptor cables that go from their non-standard plugs to ISO-standard plugs.

In the worst-case scenario, where you've bought a HU already and it is in no way compatible with the 206 plugs and you can't find an adaptor, you have to use the time-honoured cut, strip and crimp/solder method to join the wires.

Believe it or not, your owner's manual has a page that tells you exactly which pins in either of the two connectors that you have to play with in order to achieve some success. A website by the name of PeugeotLogic may also help you. Basically you only have to use 3 pins of the black connector (+ve permanent, +ve from the ignition, and the earth pin) and all the pins on the speaker connector.

Gosh, I've rambled on a bit, but I hope this has been of some help
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks Simon,

Sorry for the vagueness... It seems so obvious as soon as you mentioned it.

Firstly the facts...
    1999 206XT and I'm installing a JVC KD-G615... low end MP3 CD HU. http://www.jvc-australia.com/product...ls.asp?ID=1393

I've attached a photo of the dash showing the plugs... only the large 12-point plug and the aerial were attached to the previous head unit. The other connectors you mentioned are indeed further back in the dash. So it seems the original adapter required to connect the ISO plug into the eurovox unit can be removed, and then I just need an adapter to connect the ISO to the JVC unit. (which is exactly what you said, right?!)

Thanks, I've got the wiring diagram, so I know which wires need to be connected to where.

If I have to resort to the time honoured "cut, strip and crimp/solder" method, this just means cut the adapter off, strip back the wires, and solder the matching wires to eachother, and then wrap each bit of exposed soldering with insulating tape, right?

Thanks again for you help.

Kavan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 95 306 Eurovox removal-eurovox-206-reduced.jpg   95 306 Eurovox removal-adapter-plug.jpg  

It's a bit hard to see from the piccies, but it looks the black block on the left in the 2nd picture would have the 2 iso connectors plugged into it, yes. They are basically rectangular 8 pin connectors, like on the wiring diagram you have.

As for a JVC adaptor, it looks like you want something like this:

suspicious-looking eBay stuff

Maybe a good local car place has something similar on the shelf? Even Autobarn/Supercheap stock these sorts of things, but maybe not for the JVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavan_206XT
    I've attached a photo of the dash showing the plugs... only the large 12-point plug and the aerial were attached to the previous head unit. The other connectors you mentioned are indeed further back in the dash. So it seems the original adapter required to connect the ISO plug into the eurovox unit can be removed, and then I just need an adapter to connect the ISO to the JVC unit. (which is exactly what you said, right?!)
    Yep, well done

Thanks, I've got the wiring diagram, so I know which wires need to be connected to where.

If I have to resort to the time honoured "cut, strip and crimp/solder" method, this just means cut the adapter off, strip back the wires, and solder the matching wires to eachother, and then wrap each bit of exposed soldering with insulating tape, right?
    Sure, that will work, but I think I'd be happier cutting into the Europox loom and working from that, so that you don't have to cut into your original ISO connector loom. Also, if you do some detective work first and draw a diagram of which wire you need for what, you can just disconnect the eurovox connector and work on that in a comfortable place (like the kitchen table ), and just go back to the car when it's all ready and connect it up again.

Also, I think a little bit of shrinkwrap works better (and is neater) than electrical tape. Personally I normally use crimp connectors (put the bare wire in and squeeze with pliers) but others prefer using the soldering option. If you went to Strathfield Car Radios, they would just twist the wires together and tape them
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Brilliant! Thanks again Simon.

I'll take the adapter plug I've got into Autobarn sometime soon and see if I can find something which connects it to the JVC, though I'm (now) pretty hopeful.

My mistake was that the cables inside the dash were a bit tangled, and in my tentativeness I didn't want to pull them out too much... so I'd been taking the old Eurovox HU around to all sorts of places trying to find pins to match IT, without realising that there was the ISO unit hidden within... we live and learn... and I'm DETERMINED to do it myself... with a little help from Aussie Frogs!

I'll let you know how it goes...!

Kavan

Good luck, Kavan.

I'd love to hear how everything goes.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

The other option is to go to radio sparesthe connector and they can help with a mating connector and the crimped terminals as a final option fust go to an car radio shop andf buy some spade teminals and some self bondingilicone tape.

Prime Electronics also http://www.prime-electronics.com.au/INDEX.HTM

The common ones are known as molex connectors

http://www.rsaustralia.com/cgi-bin/b...toid=-78765376

look at the end of the second row http://www.carroll.com.au/zone_files.../terminals.pdf
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Tadpole

Thanks again Simon & Megsy, job done.

I'd originally tried radio spares, but to no avail... although that was when I was looking for an adapter to fit the Eurovox, not the ISO. I'm sure if I had asked them for the right bits...! Chaz at Autobarn Chadstone helped me out with the connectors and the aerial adapter. I can't say enough about his helpfulness and patience. (Another bloke at Autobarn tried to help me but by trying to convince me he was right almost bust the new HU and Chaz came to the rescue.) In the future I think I'll make sure there's a standard adapter prior to buying a HU.

The HU works perfectly. I thought I had a faulty unit 'cause the face-mounted aux-in wouldn't work. While reading the manual (shock, horror!) I found a function to adjust the input level of the aux-in... preset to 0, so once this was adjusted the MP3 player works. I wasn't expecting great quality through the aux-in, but it's better than I expected. Not CD quality obviously, but more than useable.

It's nice to have achieved something rather than outsourcing!

As an aside, the JVC came with a metal sleve which had clips to bend around behind the console cover plate, so further to my earlier post there was good reason to remove the cover plate than just releasing the HU from the front. The orginal Eurovox sleeve wouldn't fit with the new unit.

Thanks again for your help... it increases confidence in trying self-fix/upgrade knowing there's such a helpful forum out there.

Kavan

The HU works perfectly.
    Fair enough, it was that easy? I wasn't sure if there'd be the right connectors available for the JVC.

Woo hoo

On the sleeve thing, like you've discovered, I've always found it much easier to remove the front part of the dash to get at the radio, but we are fortunate in having the 206 - other cars (like the 306) don't make this as easy.

Got a picture of it all in place, Kavan?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Icon3

Because you asked...

Funny how it's only when you take a photo you realise how much your dash needs a clean!

Kavan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 95 306 Eurovox removal-jvc-installed.jpg  

That looks quite neat.

Good to see you had the sense to change it away from Mix before taking the photo

I'm curious, in Sydney the ABC stations are pretty much the only ones that don't have RDS station info.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

I don't think my HU is RDS compatible anyway... but it lets you type in the names of all stations, and you can rename AUX sources, and I think even rename FM1, FM2, FM3 etc (but I haven't tried the latter). So I've just typed my radio station names in... because I could!

But Mix is in there anyway 'cause I couldn't find 18 FM stations to fill the available spots, and couldn't bring myself to double up. And I don't think Wodonga community FM is in my range

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Mate well done! When I took out my eurovox to replace it with a JVC, I took one look at what was in store for me and went to JB Hi Fi, paid $50 and got them to do it for me. I was in the car when they were installing it, so I got a good run down on what was involved, although that was 18 months ago now and I've forgotten everything.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Thread Information