504 undercarriage protection
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 undercarriage protection

I want to protect the undercarriage of my 504 from damage during dirt/gravel rallies. I found a photo of a sump guard when I searched old posts and I am assuming the tranny and diff and perhaps the rear shock mounts could use some protection. I could conceivably go ahead and shield the entire undercarriage with aluminum sheeting but I want to weigh the benefit against the weight penalty. It would be great if I could get a list of the items I should protect, the best way to do it, and, if available, photos.

Advertisement

Thank you

Thanos

1000+ Posts

The early 504's sold in Australia had a sump with a very strong detachable bottom plate. Very strong and easy to replace. I had problems with the rear wheels throwing rocks onto the exhaust. The wheels can also throw rocks at the diff - I knew of one that cracked the diff housing.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall
    The early 504's sold in Australia had a sump with a very strong detachable bottom plate. Very strong and easy to replace. I had problems with the rear wheels throwing rocks onto the exhaust. The wheels can also throw rocks at the diff - I knew of one that cracked the diff housing.
    Thank you for your response, Russel. My exhaust pipe goes around the diff, the muffler sits where the spare wheel used to be, and the exhaust tip comes out the middle. I will try to protect both the diff and the pipe with the same shield. So so far it looks like a sump guard and a dif guard.

Thanos

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Thanos, we had a full guard with a nicely curved front to slide over things. It ran right to the back of the gearbox. Also had a diffguard. All up they would have weighed maybe 15 or so kgs.

They were essential when "rallying was rallying" not racing around on gravel bitumen as today. Unfortunately I don't have a photo but this reminds me I must recover the guard from the person I leant it to. When I do I'll post a photo.

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    I want to protect the undercarriage of my 504 from damage during dirt/gravel rallies. I found a photo of a sump guard when I searched old posts and I am assuming the tranny and diff and perhaps the rear shock mounts could use some protection. I could conceivably go ahead and shield the entire undercarriage with aluminum sheeting but I want to weigh the benefit against the weight penalty. It would be great if I could get a list of the items I should protect, the best way to do it, and, if available, photos.

Thank you

Thanos
    We use kevlar underbody on the EVO VII cos it has to be moulded to the same shape as the floor pan and it's fantastic, really tough. We run it right back to the fuel tanks then we've got this really tough nylon kinda sheet back to the rear lower arms. The nylon stuff is cut to go inside the rear rims and act as a mud scraper and protect the suspension, which is also protected with various bits of kevlar and mud-flap urethane.(mostly held with lots of cable-ties) I'd recommend trying to do the mud-scraper thing, works really well...
    205gti

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug303
    Hi Thanos, we had a full guard with a nicely curved front to slide over things. It ran right to the back of the gearbox. Also had a diffguard. All up they would have weighed maybe 15 or so kgs.

They were essential when "rallying was rallying" not racing around on gravel bitumen as today. Unfortunately I don't have a photo but this reminds me I must recover the guard from the person I leant it to. When I do I'll post a photo.

Cheers

Jim
    Now I know, you are THAT Jim Taylor! I am not sure my car would survire those heroic Safari days, gravel bitumen is enough of a challenge for me. A posted photo of the guard, when you retrieve it, will be great. And if you have any 504 rally photos from the era when "rallying was rallying" I would be delighted to receive a copy, being of the same vintage myself. My e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks

Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    We use kevlar underbody on the EVO VII cos it has to be moulded to the same shape as the floor pan and it's fantastic, really tough. We run it right back to the fuel tanks then we've got this really tough nylon kinda sheet back to the rear lower arms. The nylon stuff is cut to go inside the rear rims and act as a mud scraper and protect the suspension, which is also protected with various bits of kevlar and mud-flap urethane.(mostly held with lots of cable-ties) I'd recommend trying to do the mud-scraper thing, works really well...

This makes a lot of sense, Kevlar is after all what they use to make bulletproof vests. Do you have any information as to how the Kevlar is molded and what is the distance between the Kevlar sheet and the undercarriage parts?

I think I understand how the "mud scraper" is rigged and I am quite familiar with the Evo undecarriage, but photos, if available, would be great help.

Thanks

Thanos

Thread Information