removing indicator stalk in a 306
  • Register
  • Help

Default removing indicator stalk in a 306

So ive sourced a indicator stalk to replace my one which blew up (thanks WRCPUG).

Advertisement

Now how the hell do you replace it, i should take off the steering wheel but i have an airbag, so how can i bypass this? Or is there a way i can turn the airbag off?

should i even attempt this job or should i get someone else to do it.

Thanks
    AR

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Or is there a way i can turn the airbag off?
    Yes, by disconnecting the battery.

If the indicator stalk setup is anything like Xsara, then you will have remove the steering wheel, which will also require removal of the airbag.

Troy.

stay away from the battery and airbag!
    all you have too do is remove 3 t20 screws for the steering colum shroud, then remove the shroud. then 2 t8 or 10 screws and unplug the stalk. the stalk will slide too the left too remove. reverse too fit.
    a t20,8,10 is a star type head on a screw. like phillips and flat but a star.
    easy as that...
    i speed up for round abouts,corners and chikanes

Quote Originally Posted by flyNxsi
    all you have too do is remove 3 t20 screws for the steering colum shroud, then remove the shroud. then 2 t8 or 10 screws and unplug the stalk. the stalk will slide too the left too remove. reverse too fit.
    easy as that...
    Is the indicator stalk is a separate assembly to the wiper stalk?

Troy.

different setup to the 206,307 and all the new cars. they are one unit where you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel to replace. that unit is like $1000 dollars and every 206,307 will have it replaced atleast once in its life because the indicators over cancel.(turning on the opposite direction indicator when straightening the wheel out of a corner).the 306 is seperate but still over 200ish dollars new. 306s stuff up when you hear a relay clicking franticly under the dash when they arent even being used! the stalk gets a little slopy and just touches the contacts

different setup to the 206,307 and all the new cars. they are one unit where you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel to replace. that unit is like $1000 dollars and every 206,307 will have it replaced atleast once in its life because the indicators over cancel.(turning on the opposite direction indicator when straightening the wheel out of a corner).the 306 is seperate but still over 200ish dollars new. 306s stuff up when you hear a relay clicking franticly under the dash when they arent even being used! the stalk gets a little slopy and just touches the contacts
    Nice to know it is separate unit, makes replacement a lot easier.

The Xsara is different again to the 206,307 etc it's not the COM2000 unit used in those (it has the horn on the end of the indicator stalk for example), but unfortunately it is still a complete unit. So to get it off requires removal of the steering wheel. It can also suffer from problem where is it clicking away even if it is not used. This is the problem that is being suffered in my dads car at the moment.

Troy.

ye thats what i ment be 'clicking franticly when not being used'.
    it sux but every car has its common faults....

Yeah, this common fault's wouldn't be so bad if they didn't tend to cost a packet to fix.

Troy.

Thanks flyNxsi, i spoke to WRCPUG who gave me the indicator stalk & he described the removal of the indicator stalk the same way you have.

Will have a crack today.

Thanks

no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Thanks flyNxsi, i spoke to WRCPUG who gave me the indicator stalk & he described the removal of the indicator stalk the same way you have.

Will have a crack today.

Thanks
    ive just replaced the stalk/wipers on my s1 205 gti for s2/3 round types.
    i had to drop the steering colum to get enough access to replace the stalks.
    the 405 is easier as you drop the steering by the colum height adjustment.
    the 205 is a bit trickier,not enough clearance at the top.
    if the 306 has a height adjustable steering colum it will make the job easier.
    -BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

didnt have to adjust a thing, it was just a matter of un screwing & pulling out the stalk, simplest thing ive ever done.

Our Xantia did it for about three years (from 5 to 8 year's age), intermittently that is, and then it went away (or has this year!). Our 306 eventually produced smoke, but it was after 11 years. That's not too bad, although it obviously is a fault.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Default Battery?

Quote Originally Posted by flyNxsi View Post
    easy as that...
    Hi,
    wondering about the battery and airbag. All I am liable to do is disconnect the battery. That shouldn't be a problem should it?

1000+ Posts

Wow! A thread started by Asanka in 2005! He doesn't post much anymore .

I have a Xantia which has a recurring problem with the airbag light flashing. This is 'cured' by disconnecting and reconnecting the airbag, so I have some experience.

If you have an older car (approx. pre-2000), then it is sufficient to disconnect battery, then wait 20-30 minutes before undoing any airbag electrical connectors. The same procedure is used when trying to get the engine or transmission computer to 'forget' any learned behavior. This is to ensure that all current has drained from any capacitors that might still trigger something (or maintain 'memory').

If the car is newer and has a BSI, then you need to protect the BSI as well as avoid accidentally triggering the airbag. My 406 D9 came with printed instructions for this (not from Peugoet, Aussie Frogs or a Haynes manual, but seems to based on knowledge of how these things work).

1. Lift bonnet, remove ignition key, wind down driver's window, close door. Make sure everything electrical - lights, radio etc. is off.

2. Wait a couple of minutes with everything off - this allows the BSI to go into sleep mode. Now disconnect battery - try to do it in such a way that you don't make and break the connection several times while getting the clamp clear of the terminal - you want to avoid sparks jumping between terminal and clamp.

3. Wait 20-30 minutes before touching airbag plugs (as before).

4. When you have finished your work, close doors etc. so that everything is exactly as it was when battery was disconnected (leave bonnet up obviously!). Reconnect battery - again try and do it so you make the connection once only.

5. To wake up the BSI, reach in through the open driver's window and switch on parking lights. Now it is safe to open door, insert ignition key etc.

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information