Pulsing brakes on 206 XT
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Pulsing brakes on 206 XT

Hi All,

Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your help on advice on the 205 GTi. I missed it by the way.
    I recently had my 206 serviced. For the second time in two years, I have had to have the front discs machined back because thy were pulsing when applied at low speeds. I only do about 10K a year and I don't treat the brakes particularly hard I don't think.
    Has anyone else experienced this, or thought about uprating? I figure at a few hunderd bucks every 18 months it might be worth my while getting an upgrade.

Cheers,
    Nic

We have had a few but small amount of 206 city living owners say they have too experianced pulsating, and either replaced the disks or had them skimmed. I do beleive they are of a relatively softer steel designed for bite, perhaps?
    Upgrades are worth while, but id recommend doing a controlled (and thought out) hard stop every few hundred k's; reason behind this theory is that consistent light braking can cause glazing of the pads, which can also cause uneven wear in both the disks and pads. - Chris
    ... ptui!

braking generates heat and especially in city traffic the stop start will make the pads pretty warm. so if you keep your foot on the brakes at traffic lights you're going to:
    a. heat spot the rotor when the pads are clamping onto
    b. embed pad materials onto the rotors
    I had the same problem on my GTi before but since i started using more of the handbrake when the car is at stand still the problem seems to go away.

also don't wash your car's rims/splash cold water onto the discs when it's been driven and rotors are still warm, you're going to stress the disc out.

brake pads are designed to stop the car in motion and not in traffic, so my suggestion would be:
    a. use your handbrake waiting at traffic lights (and shift to neutral regardless of manual or auto 'box)
    b. wash your rims when the car has been parked for a while and rotors are cool.

Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    a. use your handbrake waiting at traffic lights (and shift to neutral regardless of manual or auto 'box)
    Hmmm, guilty as charged.
    Makes sense.

Cheers,
    Nic
    Nissan Dualis
    Graphite '89 205 GTi

Thread Information