MI16 running problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default MI16 running problem

I dont know if anyone can help, but I've got a 92 405 MI16 that runs fine at low revs but when they rise to about half way the engine starts to missfire. I've checked the timming belt and fitted new spark plugs but this still makes no difference. Sorry for no specific revs but the rev counter dosent work at the moment (next project once it runs better)

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sheps
    I dont know if anyone can help, but I've got a 92 405 MI16 that runs fine at low revs but when they rise to about half way the engine starts to missfire. I've checked the timming belt and fitted new spark plugs but this still makes no difference. Sorry for no specific revs but the rev counter dosent work at the moment (next project once it runs better)
    Are your spark plug leads and distributor cap/rotor arm in good order?

Also, if possible swap your coil for another and test to see if you still have the same problem.

1000+ Posts

Usually problems with the leads would show up at all revs, but I'd still check this first. Best way is to run it in the dark with the bonnet open, and rev it (manually on the throttle body) until the problem happens. Look for blue sparks all around the plug leads. Obviously you'd need to take the cover off the leads, but make sure they stay in their retaining slots. Unfortunately, this won't tell you if any shorting happens down the plug tube, as you can't see it...

Sounds like something else, though. Distributor cap?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Cheers for the ideas guys. Will try that and let you know how I get on.

Tadpole

Tried a new distributer cap but no joy the problem still exists . Got leads on order to try that as well. Removed the spark plugs and the look like the engines running rich. Could this cause the problem?

Hi,

Sorry i dont know how to fix you problem, but along the same lines my mi16 is having issues as well.

My car misfires occasionaly at low revs whilst accelerating from a standstill. Happens around 2000-3000 revs and pretty much only when im moving off from a stop. If i feed it a few more revs it runs fine again.

Any ides on that would also be appreciated. Thanks. Maca

Thread Information