NZ'ers, $1500 1990 309 GTi w/ new wof.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default NZ'ers, $1500 1990 309 GTi w/ new wof.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-38980614.htm

Thought I'd post this up just for the fact that it's a pretty hot deal, and it will probably be snapped up pretty quickly.

1990, manual, new wof. Even for a 309 this is still a pretty good deal at $1500.

There's another 1990 309 GTi up on Trademe as well. $2500 which is still pretty good even then.

Advertisement

I think it brings up a good question, given you are getting the same mechanicals and arguably better handling, is the 309 the way to go given it's price. Especially when you consider a lot of the 205's here now are the low power 105hp 1.9's. Of course then there's the realisation that the 309 looks nowhere near as good as the 205.

Would you pay $1000-2000 less and go with the 309, or pay the premium for the looks of the 205?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-38980614.htm

Thought I'd post this up just for the fact that it's a pretty hot deal, and it will probably be snapped up pretty quickly.

1990, manual, new wof. Even for a 309 this is still a pretty good deal at $1500.

There's another 1990 309 GTi up on Trademe as well. $2500 which is still pretty good even then.

I think it brings up a good question, given you are getting the same mechanicals and arguably better handling, is the 309 the way to go given it's price. Especially when you consider a lot of the 205's here now are the low power 105hp 1.9's. Of course then there's the realisation that the 309 looks nowhere near as good as the 205.

Would you pay $1000-2000 less and go with the 309, or pay the premium for the looks of the 205?

I would argue with you on the looks factor, I actually wouldn't mind a 309, I wonder what it would cost to import one into oz, how diffrent are they mechanicly to a 205 when it comes to parts ??

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    I wonder what it would cost to import one into oz, how diffrent are they mechanicly to a 205 when it comes to parts ??
    I think you'll find they are just about identical mechanically.

I'd of thought you wouldn't have much luck importing these 1990 models into Australia. However given your pre-1989 rule I think importing a 1988 model may be realistic in some respects.

yeah a 1988 model or earlier would be a fairly easy import... I wouldn't know how much extra it would add on to the purchase price though.

As for the looks of a 309, this ones riced, but it's damn good, and imo better looking then any 205
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NZ'ers, 00 1990 309 GTi w/ new wof.-picture002.jpg  

you kiwis have it sooo good.

if prices and availability was the same her in oz, i'd probably be bankrupt, already. the plus would be that ive have a dozen cars in the garage!

i'd own both a 309gti and a 205gti. or thrice.

if i were to pick, one or the other, i'd still purchase a 205gti, as ive read that a 309gti, is not as accomplished as its hot hatch brethren. because for me, its all about the drive.

in the looks department, the 205gti has it all over the 309gti! its all in the proportions, and its taut and muscular stance. the 309gti design execution seems to be an afterthought, specially from the b-pillar and back. still, wouldnt say no to one, if it were readily available here in oz!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    as ive read that a 309gti, is not as accomplished as its hot hatch brethren. because for me, its all about the drive.
    That's the thing though, a lot of people actually feel the 309 handles better. It has a wider rear track, and this combined with it's longer wheelbase make it less nervous than the 205. So in terms of the driving experience the 309 is certainly not inferior to the 205. It couldn't be really, the suspension and drivetrain is close to identical.

in the looks department, the 205gti has it all over the 309gti! its all in the proportions, and its taut and muscular stance. the 309gti design execution seems to be an afterthought, specially from the b-pillar and back.
    Indeed, the 205 is certainly the looker of the two. For a very good reason, the 309 is designed by the Chrysler-U.K. styling division, not Pininfarina. The 309 was initially developed by Simca/Chrysler U.K., and was going to be the second generation Talbot Horizon. Then Peugeot decided to scrap the Talbot mark and they decided to release the car as a Peugeot. So all the mechanicals were drawn from the Peugeot parts pool, namely the 205 however the body design was left as it was.

I still don't think the 309 looks that bad. Hey I did own a 309 afterall, but it certainly was the ugly duckling compared to the Pininfarina Peugeots, I'm glad I own a 405 now . I see 309s quite regularly and they don't really look that bad, catch them from the right angle and they're quite nice, especially seeing as all the GTi's have the 15" speedlines.

Its a good deal !

However if you are trying to sell a peugeot over here its pretty hard and you need to sell them cheap. I know thats better for the buyers but what about people who are buying these new and losing 20-30 grand at a time.

Still there was a 205 gti on trade me last week for 3,500 1991 model with 130,000kms!

cheers nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

Fellow Frogger!

It's definitely a buyers market. But you just have to buy them cheap and sell them cheap.

Depreciation is no secret and if you buy a new car you know what you're in for.

I like our car market, it's competitive and cars only sell for what they're really worth.

Nick, was that your 406 on Trade me starting at 16 ?
    Quick, to the Poojet

Thread Information