Couple of coolant/temperature questions.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Couple of coolant/temperature questions.

Hi, going into summer I thought I'd just inquire about a couple of coolant/temperature related thoughts I've been having recently.

The Haynes manual states that the thermostat for the D6A (XU9J2) in my 405 opens at 88deg, and is fully open at 100deg. Am I correct in assuming that this means it's acceptable for the motor to reach 100deg in hard driving? It's never hit that, but during some harder driving during the hotter days I'm just after some peace of mind that if it is in the low-mid 90's it's still fine.

Advertisement

Also, the coolant was replaced and bled about a year ago when I had the timing belt/water pump done. Should I get it replaced and bled again soon or is the recommended two years change really acceptable?

Probably silly questions but as I said with summer coming up I'd like to be fairly confident about the cooling system.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Hi, going into summer I thought I'd just inquire about a couple of coolant/temperature related thoughts I've been having recently.

The Haynes manual states that the thermostat for the D6A (XU9J2) in my 405 opens at 88deg, and is fully open at 100deg. Am I correct in assuming that this means it's acceptable for the motor to reach 100deg in hard driving? It's never hit that, but during some harder driving during the hotter days I'm just after some peace of mind that if it is in the low-mid 90's it's still fine.

Also, the coolant was replaced and bled about a year ago when I had the timing belt/water pump done. Should I get it replaced and bled again soon or is the recommended two years change really acceptable?

Probably silly questions but as I said with summer coming up I'd like to be fairly confident about the cooling system.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

the tem. range is apparently normal. Mine may hit 100 if i am using the a/c and travelling up steep hills. but otherwise its bet. 88-92. i am kinda used to japanese cars where the temp doesn't change so it was and still is a bit discomforting but it keep hearing that it is normal. i had started a post regarding the temp movements a few months ago. so you can do a search

Default 82* thermostat.

Guys,
    For our '98 Xsara I have enquired about an 82deg thermostat that'll allow the t'stat to cut in earlier and keep the overall temp lower. The xsara engine and the 306/405 engines are fairly similar from what I am lead to believe so I am sure there is a thermostat available for the 405. There is another a/f member that has had 306 and 405's and I am sure he told me about this change.

Good luck ,
    Chris.

I am not sure where in NZ you'd go to look for a thermostat for your Pug though. If you have no luck let me know and I'll make some enquiries on your behal if you like.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 27th October 2005 at 07:25 AM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

i had spoken to a mechanic from bermuda or trinidad who said that mine was running a bit cool. (88-90) if so, to change the t'stat would that make it run too cool which i understand isn't good?

Hey! just realized i am no longer a tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by ssmikle
    i had spoken to a mechanic from bermuda or trinidad who said that mine was running a bit cool. (88-90) if so, to change the t'stat would that make it run too cool which i understand isn't good?
    My friend who ran the cooler t'stat in his 306 from what I rememeber doesn't believe the car was affected by the small drop in temp. Fuel economy was no different which is a fair indicator of correct running.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

farmerdave

Auto 405s run a 82 degree thermostat, so that the transmission can cool back throught the radiator. Don't bother with the thermostat from the dealer, I've had 2 fail in a year- and they are too expensive.

The generic ones from the Tridon catalogue (most parts places) are good but the gasket specified is incorrect-the correct gasket is available and shown in the book.

Farmerdave

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssmikle
    i am kinda used to japanese cars where the temp doesn't change so it was and still is a bit discomforting but it keep hearing that it is normal. i had started a post regarding the temp movements a few months ago. so you can do a search
    That's not actually correct. The temperture fluctuates just the same, but some temp gauges are damped so you don't notice fluctuations as much. If the gauge takes a a fair while to return to the right temp after you've stopped for ten minutes and then restarted on a hot engine, it's damped. If it flicks pretty much straight back to the temp, it's not. Really, the Pug setup is good as once you're comfortable with the minute fluctuations, it's telling you exactly what's going on with the engine in real time.

100 degrees should be OK, as pressurised coolant boils at quite a bit higher than 100, and that's really all you should worry about (IMO, anyway). The car's designed to run at these temps.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

the temperature fluctuation is taking some getting used to. As i had said i been driving japanese cars for about 12-3 years andd based on what you said they were damped. I never noticed the fluctuation with the pug until i had some problems(burst hose) with it about 6 mths ago.

Thread Information