306 cargo light, and indicators
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 cargo light, and indicators

Hi everyone

Advertisement

Had a 306 XTDT for nearly a year, but never got the cargo light to work in the rear. There is a light there, it works, but I cannot see the normal plunger switch anywhere on the tailgate shut line. Is there on on the XtDT? Whwere is the switch?

Also, did a service today, and I have to get the rear light clusters off, and later had to pull a trailer. After taking the trailer off I noticed that when I turn on the indicator (either side) they all come on and the two indicator ligthd on the dash do too. What is wrong? Have I out the rear light clusters back on wrong?

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by lascazes
    Hi everyone

Had a 306 XTDT for nearly a year, but never got the cargo light to work in the rear.
    Mine works now and then but mostly not! Think it might be a mercury switch. Tell me if you find it??

Hazard switch problem? Otherwise guess you have upset the wiring somehow.

Tadpole

Default Rear Cargo Light Switch problems

I have investigated the problem with the rear cargo light not coming on and no apparent switch in the door shut panel for it. There is a level switch in the tailgate behind the panel inside the tailgate that gives access to the windscreen wiper. It is a small tube about 20mm long and has 2 ball bearings in it that roll with the door as it closes/opens. The switch can be pulled apart carefully or costs about $10 to renew and is a Peugeot item only

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by lascazes
    It is a small tube about 20mm long and has 2 ball bearings in it that roll with the door as it closes/opens. The switch can be pulled apart carefully or costs about $10 to renew and is a Peugeot item only
    Thanks lascazes. Have found a thump turns mine on. Will have a fiddle with the switch now I know where it is.

Cheers, Pod

where exactly is this switch for the cargo light? It works about 30% of times and it's annoying as hell
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Tadpole

Default 306 cargo light

If you lift the tailgate and unscrew the (tamperproof) screws fixing the black plastic cover below the windscreen, you'll reveal the rear windscreen wpier mechanism. If you look to the left of centre (with your back to the car) there is a small bullet-shaped plastic tube screwed to the metal with a philips screw. At the flat end of the bullet is a slide-tag, and on one side is the larger round tag for attaching (and earthing) it to the tailgate. There may also be a wire from the rear wiper attached to it.

I just unscrewed everything, and managed to prise open the switch, cleaned the two ball bearings and contacts inside with electronic cleaner and put it back together with a dab of silicon

Good Luck

cool - I'll go investigate right now
    2004 Clio 182 current

found it... and the switch works fine. It's the connection that was playing up. cleaned it all up and now it works every time
    2004 Clio 182 current

Thread Information