• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anderoo

Thread: 306 Gti 6 Cam Belt Question.

Tadpole

Default 306 Gti 6 Cam Belt Question.

Hi guys,

Advertisement

I am currently in the market for a 306 Gti 6 looking at '98 model onwards. Now I just spoke with a guy about a '98 and he told me that that the cam belt had snapped a while ago but had been completely serviced and fixed after this (the car has only done 78,000kms so I guess it snapped slightly prematurely). Does the cam belt snapping early signify anything about the way the car has been treated?

He said the repair bill after the snap was around $5000 because they basically had to replace everything. Will this affect the car in the future or should it be fine now that everything has been fixed? The car was serviced at Crown Peugeot and has been serviced there since new with 2 different owners. Does anyone have any experience with Crown?

I'm still looking around at other examples but I value the advice of the guys on this forum and was wondering if you could provide any insight you have.

Cheers
    BOXXD IN - Xbox & PC Lounge

www.boxxdin.com

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

so long as everything was checked and replaced as necessary there will be nothing wrong with the engine

as for how the car was treated before the belt broke doesn't mean a thing as these engines put a lot of pressure on the belts at idle and if the car was a city car then it is very possible that the belt will have had it's life shortened due to no fault of the owner

city cars i think need their belts changed at around 40k and 3 years as opposed to the 80k 4 year rule
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

My pug mechanic whom I trust in suburban Sydney took exactly the opposite tack and told me I could safely wait till 100,000km before the replacement. I think I did it at 85,000 to be sure to be sure. He said they were very durable and he hadn't heard of any instances of belts snapping. I have had a little experience of Crown. They are very experienced pug people and I was V impressed with the guy that worked on my car, yes I did get to talk to him , one on one. I would be happy to buy a rebuild engine car from them. Hey, there are not that many GTI6s in the country after all.Anyone conforim there were 350 sold in Australia?

Tadpole

The GTI6 has a nasty habit of snapping it's cam belt long before the scheduled service interval - i personally would not dream of leaving it to 100k miles to get it done.

The options are spend a couple of hundred pounds to replace it along with the tensioners and have piece of mind or don't change it and run the risk of big bills when it does go prematurely.

I know what i'd prefer.

if the car is 1998 the 4 years might have passed at 78000km when it snapped... so it's a good idea not to just look at the kilometres.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Jesus guys, the cambelt is the main issue we worry about over on 306gti6.com! Mine snapped at 64k (miles) and it's been known to go at far less.

My advice would be to get it done every 50k or 4 years at the minimum and get the tensioners/water pump and bottom pulley checked at the same time. Non pug garages have a nasty habit of timing it up wrong when replacing the belt over here causing the bottom pulley to slip and the making the engine "tap".

Many people have had problems after a belt snap with the dreaded tapping problem (search 306gti6.com for "tapping" ) and the general theory is this happens when the valves/head isn't replaced/repaired properly so whenever you're looking at buying a 6 listen out for the tapping noise.

The injectors make a quiet tapping noise so don't worry about that, if the car has the tapping noise you'll notice it, it sounds like a sewing machine , this usually indicates that the belt has snapped and it's not been repaired properly.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anderoo
    Jesus guys, the cambelt is the main issue we worry about over on 306gti6.com! Mine snapped at 64k (miles) and it's been known to go at far less.

My advice would be to get it done every 50k or 4 years at the minimum and get the tensioners/water pump and bottom pulley checked at the same time. Non pug garages have a nasty habit of timing it up wrong when replacing the belt over here causing the bottom pulley to slip and the making the engine "tap".
    Entirely agree with you, anderoo. For you Aussies, remember 50k is 80k kilometres.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by proppa bo
    Hi guys,

I am currently in the market for a 306 Gti 6 looking at '98 model onwards. Now I just spoke with a guy about a '98 and he told me that that the cam belt had snapped a while ago but had been completely serviced and fixed after this (the car has only done 78,000kms so I guess it snapped slightly prematurely). Does the cam belt snapping early signify anything about the way the car has been treated?

He said the repair bill after the snap was around $5000 because they basically had to replace everything. Will this affect the car in the future or should it be fine now that everything has been fixed? The car was serviced at Crown Peugeot and has been serviced there since new with 2 different owners. Does anyone have any experience with Crown?

I'm still looking around at other examples but I value the advice of the guys on this forum and was wondering if you could provide any insight you have.

Cheers
    Poppa is the car you're looking at white? And where abouts is it located?

Tadpole

Default timing belt

I have had the timming belt replaced twice in my S16. The second time the tensioners and water pump were done. There is noy a noticeable winding noise as the revs get hire. I'm pretty sure this is the new belt making noise. Is the normal? The car is going back tomorrow so I will ask anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbk
    I have had the timming belt replaced twice in my S16. The second time the tensioners and water pump were done. There is noy a noticeable winding noise as the revs get hire. I'm pretty sure this is the new belt making noise. Is the normal? The car is going back tomorrow so I will ask anyway.
    More than likely the cambelt is a bit over tight. Though i thought the tensioner was self adjusting

Some people describe it as similar to a gilmer belt drive sound, and think it's cool, but it actually puts a lot of undue stress on all the bearings involved.

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw
    My pug mechanic whom I trust in suburban Sydney took exactly the opposite tack and told me I could safely wait till 100,000km before the replacement. I think I did it at 85,000 to be sure to be sure. He said they were very durable and he hadn't heard of any instances of belts snapping.
    One of the most common major things to go wrong on these cars. I'm surprised your mech hasn't heard of one snapping, as every other mech I know have had quite a few cars in where this has happened.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information