306 Performance tips
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 306 Performance tips

Hi,
    I have recently bought a 1997 306xr, its a great little car and now I am kinda short of funds.
    I was wondering if anyone had some info on how to improve the performance of the car without spending to much money????

any help would be great!!!
    thanks

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ant306
    Hi,
    I have recently bought a 1997 306xr, its a great little car and now I am kinda short of funds.
    I was wondering if anyone had some info on how to improve the performance of the car without spending to much money????

thanks
    Hi ANT306 welcome to AF....

You ask NOT speding to much money, for an average person that what $500?????

Anyway here are the CHEAPEST (and probably nastiest) ways to improve performance.
    a) You don't need the rear seat or capet or anything that YOUR not sitting on.
    b) You don't need door cards (internal ones) center console, sound deadning.
    c) When was the last time you actually changed the spare wheel, keep it in your garage and carry a pressure can instead. Also put away the factory jack and brace.
    d) you don't need your roof ligning, or stereo or speaker etc hence your ipod, stacker, and glovebox full of crap can go too.
    e) Only fill your tank to 1/2 full.
    f) Remove the black mat on the underside of your bonnet.
    g) Have your tyres pressure at about 33-34psi the car will track and corner marginally better.
    h) At your next tyre replacement replace tyres with Semi-Slicks, the cheapest are Falken AZENIS.
    i) Go on a diet....

... obviously your not going to do any of this, but it does work and is cheap, for a more obvious answer do a search as its been covered quite a few times. - Chris
    ... ptui!

dom

Icon8 a faster 306XR and the RTA

you are starting in the wrong place... sorry.. the XR is last place you want to be if you want quick. but then my does not want to rev hard, I am putting an airpod in and considering a warmed cam and lightened flywheel to kick it along a little. But I suspect I would be better off hooking a tow rope to an GTi6.

Best of luck tho and happy frogging km's

AS I TYPE THIS!!!!
    PS: GET this, I got my 1995 306 XR 4 weeks ago. today the RTA turned up at my house to check the blue slip the dealer gave it.. AND DEFECTED it because the hand brake did not grip hard enough!!! it did grip, and could assist in doing flick turns. But it would not slow it down much. He did not test it just jumped in and tried to move it with the hand brake on .. He spun the front wheels and stalled! then declared the hand brake a dud. and the rear wiper did not work, so he defected it for THAT as well.

the dealer and I are having words.. cause he gave me a blue slip. But I think he is coming to the party. He certainly knew the handbrake was iffy.

But I am not a happy frog driver. Of all the dodgey old fiat's on the road, my 306 gets defected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant306
    Hi,

thanks
    Last edited by dom; 26th October 2005 at 05:53 PM.

Tadpole

N5 or N3 ?
    '97 306 XR Sedan

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dom
    you are starting in the wrong place... sorry.. the XR is last place you want to be if you want quick. but then my does not want to rev hard, I am putting an airpod in and considering a warmed cam and lightened flywheel to kick it along a little. But I suspect I would be better off hooking a tow rope to an GTi6.

Best of luck tho and happy frogging km's

AS I TYPE THIS!!!!
    PS: GET this, I got my 1995 306 XR 4 weeks ago. today the RTA turned up at my house to check the blue slip the dealer gave it.. AND DEFECTED it because the hand brake did not grip hard enough!!! it did grip, and could assist in doing flick turns. But it would not slow it down much. He did not test it just jumped in and tried to move it with the hand brake on .. He spun the front wheels and stalled! then declared the hand brake a dud. and the rear wiper did not work, so he defected it for THAT as well.

the dealer and I are having words.. cause he gave me a blue slip. But I think he is coming to the party. He certainly knew the handbrake was iffy.

But I am not a happy frog driver. Of all the dodgey old fiat's on the road, my 306 gets defected.

did the rear wheels move at all or did they slide on the ground ?

if it holds on a hill then the thing works

check the compliance plate to see if ADR37 is there or not
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

dom

N3...

Quote Originally Posted by nisch
    N5 or N3 ?
    I Need more power scottie....

1972 Renault 12

1995 306 XR 230,000Km's and rests with the fishes. (RIP)

dom

they where locked on one side the other side was sloppy.

the dealer fixed it all for free. but it was just another couple of hours hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    did the rear wheels move at all or did they slide on the ground ?

if it holds on a hill then the thing works

check the compliance plate to see if ADR37 is there or not

1972 Renault 12

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

do the RTA do this often or was it because the dealer may have let a few cars through that shouldn't have gone through ???

i have never heard of the RTA turning up to a private residence and demanding to check a car out that has just been registered

i would have thought they could only check a car if it was in the road somewhere as on private property you could have been giving the car a service and as such certain parts may have not been operative
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

i have never heard of the RTA turning up to a private residence and demanding to check a car out that has just been registered
    quite common. They often pull out a few pink or blue slips at random, then go visit. A blue slip station near me recently had their license suspended.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

dom

It happens often... this was the third time in row.. my TX3 turbo had a digit missing the engine number so they door stopped me at 7:30 on the way to work.

They turned up the day after I registered my Alfa 90, there was no rist mnewntioned on the pink slip, I think that made them suspicious) No rust on an alfa!!

This guy had the entire book from the local muffler place and was going from one car to the next.

I miss my awd Tx3 and I miss the Alfa V6, My pug needs more horses and it needs them soon... I think a Gti6 may be in the wind.

Go to http://peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/cli.../mcn_entry.htm

it has a nice competion

do the RTA do this often or was it because the dealer may have let a few cars through that shouldn't have gone through ???

i would have thought they could only check a car if it was in the road somewhere as on private property you could have been giving the car a service and as such certain parts may have not been operative

1972 Renault 12

Thread Information