15 Year - Import Rule - I hate it
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    727

    Default 15 Year - Import Rule - I hate it

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....DME:B:RTQ:AU:1

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! cam740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Beaches SA
    Posts
    868

    Default


    thats sweet!!!

    havent they changed the 15 year rule anyway recently???

  3. #3
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    15 year rule = nothing newer then 1988 now

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam740
    thats sweet!!!

    havent they changed the 15 year rule anyway recently???

    If the car was manufactured before 1989 then you can bring it in - no problems. So the 15 year rule will become 1 year longer each year.
    If I had been out of Australia for 12 continuous months and owned the car for 12 continuous months then I could have imported it as a personal import - no problems. (GST and import duties etc).
    The only way I could import this vehicle would be to get a 'letter of compliance' from Peugeot Australia to say that the car was manufactured to Australian Design Rules. Peugeot (au) did a check and told me it wasn't. The problem is that in those days only Australian manufactured cars had Child restraint bolting points in the rear parcel shelf. This was and still is an Australian Design Rule. Cars manufactured in UK didn't have this therefore I can't import this vehicle.

  5. #5
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    The price of secondhand cars in the UK is enough to make you cry (as the seller in UK you'd be crying though !!!).

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! cam740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Beaches SA
    Posts
    868

    Default

    isnt there a massive rust problem in the UK???

    hey does that mean that 405Mi16X4's will NEVER be available under the 1988 rule???

    there's stuff like Alpina C2s with 2.7 155kw engines in 3 series cars for 1000gbp - its insane!!

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney, southern suburbs
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam740
    isnt there a massive rust problem in the UK???
    Anywhere they salt the roads you get rust but it isn't that bad. Prices are low despite that, largely because there is SO much supply, so much discounting of new cars and vast numbers of really good cars sold as fleet and company cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    as the seller in UK you'd be crying though
    Many buy used but fairly new and let the fleets take the depreciation ... but really they get big discounts for buying in volume and pass them on.

    Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    15 year rule = nothing newer then 1988 now
    What .. 1988 is it for ever?
    unfrogged (for now)

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    If the car was manufactured before 1989 then you can bring it in - no problems. So the 15 year rule will become 1 year longer each year.
    If I had been out of Australia for 12 continuous months and owned the car for 12 continuous months then I could have imported it as a personal import - no problems. (GST and import duties etc).
    The only way I could import this vehicle would be to get a 'letter of compliance' from Peugeot Australia to say that the car was manufactured to Australian Design Rules. Peugeot (au) did a check and told me it wasn't. The problem is that in those days only Australian manufactured cars had Child restraint bolting points in the rear parcel shelf. This was and still is an Australian Design Rule. Cars manufactured in UK didn't have this therefore I can't import this vehicle.
    Roland,
    You can have the mounting points for child restraints fitted professionally and engineer certified. The general rule is plyable to an extent, if you can prove it was manufactured before the 01/01/1989 you are in with a chance. A 1994 Pug would be a little hard though, but if you have owned it for 12 months it will pass under the private import section of the law. It's yours you can import it. My last wagon, 505GR was a private import(from Hong Kong), all the owner had to do was have child restrain points fitted and they were.It also had one of those fuelstar catalysts fitted so it could run on un-leaded, which is fine if you believe in the integrity of such things. It was certified and brought in.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Inner city, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    The price of secondhand cars in the UK is enough to make you cry (as the seller in UK you'd be crying though !!!).

    - xTc -
    Though in this particular case even if you got the 605 for $1 after all import/compliance cost are paid you would have over captialised on the car. If you could find one in OZ it would be the cheaper buy.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

    Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

    My Flickr Photos

    206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Concord City, Sir.
    Posts
    3,436

    Default

    indeed.. there were actually wrecking one aout 6 months ago down at RenoWreck in Tugrah, had a small rear end complication, insurance companies payed it out rather then tracking down parts from over seas of course

    Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Though in this particular case even if you got the 605 for $1 after all import/compliance cost are paid you would have over captialised on the car. If you could find one in OZ it would be the cheaper buy.
    Are you sure???
    What would you have to do to have it complianced?
    What is a 605 worth?
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Inner city, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Are you sure???
    What would you have to do to have it complianced?
    What is a 605 worth?
    It would probably cost 10-15k to have one imported with all duties paid. Surely you could buy a good one for that amount. A PCQ member has one - as well as a 604 - that he paid under twenty for several years ago.

    I've seen 607s advertised for less than 40k.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

    Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

    My Flickr Photos

    206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

  13. #13
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 106 Rallye
    Anywhere they salt the roads you get rust but it isn't that bad. Prices are low despite that, largely because there is SO much supply, so much discounting of new cars and vast numbers of really good cars sold as fleet and company cars.


    Many buy used but fairly new and let the fleets take the depreciation ... but really they get big discounts for buying in volume and pass them on.


    What .. 1988 is it for ever?

    yep, the olf 15 year rule is dead and buried the new rule is 15 years plus, and will never get any higher then 1988

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    It would probably cost 10-15k to have one imported with all duties paid. Surely you could buy a good one for that amount. A PCQ member has one - as well as a 604 - that he paid under twenty for several years ago.

    I've seen 607s advertised for less than 40k.
    I don't have the figures on hand, or the details of how exactlly they charge, but a car of about $10,000 (converted form GBP) will cost you under $16,000 landed in Australia, may-be add another $1500 if you want a 20ft container to yourself. I doubt that a $1 car would be $15,000.

    The Pug would cost a little more than a pre-89 model to compliance but I don't think it'd blow out to that much. I could be wrong, has been known to happen before
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney, southern suburbs
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    yep, the olf 15 year rule is dead and buried the new rule is 15 years plus, and will never get any higher then 1988
    bisearble mastards
    unfrogged (for now)

  16. #16
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    blame the importers who used the loophole to bring in $h!t like delicas, and toyota surfs

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    blame the importers who used the loophole to bring in $h!t like delicas, and toyota surfs
    I had a phone conversation with one guy from Customs about the laws and newer cars, if you have a mechanic lined up to do the conversion and a 'network' of support behind the import yu are a shoe in too. He referred to the backing for Skylines and Soarers...oh pleeease, I was actually enquiring about 405 mi16 4x4 and GTA/610 renaults at the time. He considered the Skylines and Toyotas special* interest and laughed at the French stuff.


    *yeah I know what I think 'special' is....enuff said
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! cam740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Beaches SA
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Werent the Alpine GTA's avail in around 1988????

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam740
    Werent the Alpine GTA's avail in around 1988????
    Yes some GTA models fall under the new 15 year rule, some were 1990 models though.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  20. #20
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    I had a phone conversation with one guy from Customs about the laws and newer cars, if you have a mechanic lined up to do the conversion and a 'network' of support behind the import yu are a shoe in too. He referred to the backing for Skylines and Soarers...oh pleeease, I was actually enquiring about 405 mi16 4x4 and GTA/610 renaults at the time. He considered the Skylines and Toyotas special* interest and laughed at the French stuff.


    *yeah I know what I think 'special' is....enuff said
    the problem is, number 1 there isn't enough of either of those cars produced, and number 2 that there probably wouldn't be a large enogh intrest in those cars. You can apply to bring in any car you want under the other scheme (i forget what its called) but it costs a fair amount, and from what i've heard you have to bring the cars in stock

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    727

    Default


    Auction closed early this morning:

    Winning bid: GBP 720.00
    (Approximately AU $1,700.93)

  22. #22
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    If you could find one in OZ it would be the cheaper buy.
    IF being the appropriate word, can't remember the last time I saw a 605 up for sale ??

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Inner city, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    IF being the appropriate word, can't remember the last time I saw a 605 up for sale ??

    - xTc -
    The ones I know of that have changed hands have been between club members. I don't think Joe Average would even know what one was.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

    Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

    My Flickr Photos

    206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

  24. #24
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    The ones I know of that have changed hands have been between club members. I don't think Joe Average would even know what one was.
    Bit like the 607 really ... :0

    There is a 607 on the showroom floor in WA ... closing the boot is fun ... it's not a bad car inside and out, if only it was $62K (with satnav etc) and not $72K, it might have a chance.

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Inner city, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    $72K
    The list price is $80k which IMO is $20k to much.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

    Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

    My Flickr Photos

    206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •