Nitrogen Fill Tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Default Nitrogen Fill Tyres

Hi all, just a quick question. At this stage my tyres have been filled with nitrogen (previous owner), and are a little flat at the moment. Just wondering if it is alright to use a nitrogen-air mix, or if i should empty them, then refill with just air.
    Thanks

Advertisement
    1995 306 S16

We all know frogs go: la de da dee daa
    They dont go: vroom vroom vroom

Quote Originally Posted by Ace135
    Hi all, just a quick question. At this stage my tyres have been filled with nitrogen (previous owner), and are a little flat at the moment. Just wondering if it is alright to use a nitrogen-air mix, or if i should empty them, then refill with just air.
    Thanks
    You can just use air. This of course will negate the (probably miniscule anyway) benefit of the Nitrogen. Alternatively if you know where they were filled (ideally even have a receipt) they generally will top you up gratis.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    You can just use air. This of course will negate the (probably miniscule anyway) benefit of the Nitrogen. Alternatively if you know where they were filled (ideally even have a receipt) they generally will top you up gratis.
    Thanks, it's just much easier to fill them with air, than to drive 40k into the city where they were done. And the nitrogen wasnt really that impressive anyway .
    1995 306 S16

Thanks, it's just much easier to fill them with air, than to drive 40k into the city where they were done. And the nitrogen wasnt really that impressive anyway .

Nitrogen has long been used in aircraft ( large aircrfat)tyres for a number of reasons.
    - Stability of pressure at higher tempratures
    - when mixed with oil and grease at elevated tempratures there is little oxygen component that is likely to promote conflaguration (fire)
    - Also the operational environment -60 degrees to >150 degrees

some of the reasons are also Nitrogen is a dry, inert gas used to inflated airplane tires, off-road truck tires, military vehicle tires, and race car tires for improved performance. Oxygen is compressed air permeates through the tire wall, oxygen oxidizes the rubber compounds in the tire, causing under inflation and deteriorated rubber. Dry nitrogen will prevent auto-ignition, will not corrode rims, and helps the tire to run cool

Air has a certain moisture content and it is generally very hard to remove this moisture. If an airplane tires were filled with air, at the flight altitude ice would form inside the tires since the temp up there is about -30 degrees F. Landing with a chunk of ice in the tire would make it out of balance and change the tire pressure. Tires would probably burst.

On the other hand, nitrogen doesn't form a liquid till -173C and pure nitrogen has almost no moisture.

In addition, consider if the brakes overheat and cause a fire. The nitrogen will not burn, but air has oxygen which will feed the fire. Jet airline tires are fused. When the fuse is heated it deflates the tire so they don't explode.

Unfortunately for the every day use I would suggest that you not waste your money
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy
    Unfortunately for the every day use I would suggest that you not waste your money
    You mean that my car wont be flying anywhere ... Damn, and I had such good expectations . Thanks though. I could put the $25 each it costs to fill them to better use
    1995 306 S16

I could put the $25 each it costs to fill them to better use
    Ouch!
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

$25 each, I had mine done ages ago and from memory was something like for all the tyres, I gave up on it as it did not hold pressure and you had to go somewhere to top it up, so i just stick with air, which funnigly holds pressure better than the nitro did..
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Blairs charge $5.50 per tyre to purge and refill, and free top-ups for the life of the tyre. Not much. Didn't notice any real difference, but even a 0.3% improvement in wear is enough to pay for it - maybe less variation on pressure could assist with this.

Of course having to drive 40km to do this every time would soon make it particularly uneconomic!
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    Didn't notice any real difference, but even a 0.3% improvement in wear is enough to pay for it
    But if you checked your tyres every time you refuel then...
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    But if you checked your tyres every time you refuel then...
    or even put a few psi more in the tyres to reduce rolling resistance.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Thread Information