GTi 180
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: GTi 180

Tadpole

Default GTi 180

Hi all, just wanted to say G'day as I bought a GTi180 last week (used). I used to drive a Gen4 Liberty 2.5i and before that an S15 200SX - I must say the GTi 180 is a great car with some great character!

Great forum you've got here, look forward to chatting to you all.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on a couple of things I've noticed so far with my 180:

The clutch feels like it's slipping/shuddering a little bit on take off - the dealer said it's normal and it just needs more gas to get off the line - doesn't feel quite right to me but maybe I just need to get used to it? (The steering wheel starts shaking on takeoff if revs are below 1500-2000 and also if reversing I feel a slipping sensation also. The gearbox also feels a little notchy/clunky at times.

There also seems to be an exhaust rattle at 2900-3000rpm that I can't get rid of...

One thing I *think* may also need looking at is the fuel guage, doesn't quite appear to be telling the truth - hope this is an easy fix.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, would really appreciate comments on the above issues. Thanks for having me!

Cheers

Advertisement

Welcome to

The 180 does have a tall first gear and maybe you aren't use to it yet. See if you can hook up with other 180, or even 138 owners in your area. I'm sure they'll be able to tell you if it is behaving ok.

The 3000rpm rattle could be the tappet cover vibration that has been in existence (for some owners) since day one. Again do the above.

The tank will hold over fifty litres, if you are prepared spend the time to fill it. I could easily get high 50s into our 138.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Nice to see another 180 owner in the Sydney reigion mate...

Hopefully if you get these things sorted out you could come for a cruise with me and two other mates....

They are an incredible car mate, just get used to it, as for the twisting steering wheel under high touque, I don't know it doesn't happen to me.

You should get all mentioned problems checked out by service, somewhere other than the service department as to where you bought it, I have heard countless times they say "thats normal" when in fact it is not.

Take it easy buddy And what colour did you get

Tadpole

Thanks for the welcome and responses thus far guys

I actually bought it from a Renault dealer (it was a trade in) however I had it serviced and checked by Peugeot - they said it was pretty much normal however I still have some concerns - will see how it behaves as I get used to it and hopefully get some more opinions of other owners too.

I got a black one - always wanted a black car so was lucky that this one happened to be black! In fact I wasn't even out looking for a 180 at the time so I guess it was all fate

Small things aside, it's a great car - no regrets with the purchase so far. Look forward to remaining a part of the Aussie Frogs community

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by V-meister
    I actually bought it from a Renault dealer (it was a trade in) however I had it serviced and checked by Peugeot - they said it was pretty much normal however I still have some concerns - will see how it behaves as I get used to it and hopefully get some more opinions of other owners too.
    Care to say how much you paid and how many ks it had on it at the time? Did you get the handbook? spare tyre - I mean can of foam in the styrofoam box in the boot?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

The clutch feels like it's slipping/shuddering a little bit on take off - the dealer said it's normal and it just needs more gas to get off the line - doesn't feel quite right to me but maybe I just need to get used to it? (The steering wheel starts shaking on takeoff if revs are below 1500-2000 and also if reversing I feel a slipping sensation also. The gearbox also feels a little notchy/clunky at times.

There also seems to be an exhaust rattle at 2900-3000rpm that I can't get rid of...
    Cheers
    My car has the same issue on take off. Just requires a bit more throttle & it's ok.

As for the exhaust rattle at 3000rpm, my car had that too. Was very loud. Turned out to be the heat shields on the exhaust. There was a nut loose, or something. Is now completely gone.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    My car has the same issue on take off. Just requires a bit more throttle & it's ok.

As for the exhaust rattle at 3000rpm, my car had that too. Was very loud. Turned out to be the heat shields on the exhaust. There was a nut loose, or something. Is now completely gone.

Thanks Industrie, puts my mind more at ease - I'll get them to tighten the heat shield etc next time and see how that goes

Cheers

Hey V-meister,

Seems like it's a small world...

You didn't happen to buy your 180 from Renault at Hornsby did you? I looked at the same one a couple of weeks ago.

Not only that, but I also have a S15 200SX which I am selling and also got my 180 last week, except mine is blue. How freaky is that!

Anyway, hope your enjoying the car, I'm loving mine. It's definately different to the S15, but it's good fun.

There look to be quite a few 180 guys from Sydney on here, hopefully there will be an excuse for a get together/cruise sometime soon!
    2005 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

Talking drives come alonmg this sunday....

Check out the Socials section and help me up the number of pugs going to a RSC outing
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Tadpole

Small world indeed!!

They are obviously a very different car to the S15 but the keyword I use to describe the 180 is FUN

Looks like a lot of GTi's and 180's are zipping around the Sydney area...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix
    Hey V-meister,

Seems like it's a small world...

You didn't happen to buy your 180 from Renault at Hornsby did you? I looked at the same one a couple of weeks ago.

Not only that, but I also have a S15 200SX which I am selling and also got my 180 last week, except mine is blue. How freaky is that!

Anyway, hope your enjoying the car, I'm loving mine. It's definately different to the S15, but it's good fun.

There look to be quite a few 180 guys from Sydney on here, hopefully there will be an excuse for a get together/cruise sometime soon!

Hmm,

It can be a little cantankerous on take-off, but it's usually just a case of not enough herbs. You will get used to it. I find a lot of the new people are using too much clutch pedal, as clutch take up is fairly high on the pedal, and there is a lot of extra movement in the pedal past where you need to move it. As I said, it's merely a timing issue, and I'm sure you will get it sorted soon enough.

The fuel filling issue is a common one (though not every 206 experiences it, thankfully). You have to be very patient with it and slow fill it after it's two thirds full or you will have problems filling it. That's been the case on both of my 206s, unfortunately.

If you still think it's a problem, then ask the service people to check out the calibration - should be a warranty job, and no cost to you.

Oh, and welcome Nice to see some more Sydney 180 people around.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks for the welcome and helpful reply Simon,

I'm due to fill it up again today so shall see how it goes. Meanwhile, the car has seemed to develop a louder rattle/creak in the dashboard over the weekend

If the fuel guage doesn't get better I may ask them to look at it as well as the exhast rattle etc.

Glad there's no probs with the seats yet, they are fantastic!

Cheers again

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Hmm,

It can be a little cantankerous on take-off, but it's usually just a case of not enough herbs. You will get used to it. I find a lot of the new people are using too much clutch pedal, as clutch take up is fairly high on the pedal, and there is a lot of extra movement in the pedal past where you need to move it. As I said, it's merely a timing issue, and I'm sure you will get it sorted soon enough.

The fuel filling issue is a common one (though not every 206 experiences it, thankfully). You have to be very patient with it and slow fill it after it's two thirds full or you will have problems filling it. That's been the case on both of my 206s, unfortunately.

If you still think it's a problem, then ask the service people to check out the calibration - should be a warranty job, and no cost to you.

Oh, and welcome Nice to see some more Sydney 180 people around.
    GTi 180

Meanwhile, the car has seemed to develop a louder rattle/creak in the dashboard over the weekend
    Yeah, that's something you might need to get used to. Mine has developed a rattle in the steering column... Is actually the shroud that sits just forward of the dash. Has been fixed several times but, with the suspension the way it is, things tend to work their way loose.

Just be glad it's not a 205 & that half your dash isn't being thrown around the footwells!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Yeah, that's something you might need to get used to. Mine has developed a rattle in the steering column... Is actually the shroud that sits just forward of the dash. Has been fixed several times but, with the suspension the way it is, things tend to work their way loose.
    Mac, I carry the necessary Torq drivers with me so I can have a look at it for you on Saturday's drive.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks Simon