206 leaks liquid with a brown tinge
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 206 leaks liquid with a brown tinge

My 206 is leaking this liquid quite badly. Extensive puddle left every time I park. Looking under the hood from the front of the car, it appears to be coming a little bit left of centre and up the back somewhere (found this out by working out where the middle of the puddle was in relation to the car). When I taste the liquid, it tastes very foul - almost makes me cough -like the worst beer you could ever drink. It doesn't smell at all. Temperature seems ok and oil seems ok (I think). Is it brake fluid? Should I be driving around? Anything I can do as a stopgap?

Advertisement

Thanks.

Could be engine or gearbox oil, coolant, or brake fluid. Best to get it checked out.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks. I am on a waiting list to go in for repair on November 1st (earliest possible). Just wondering if I can drive in the mean time.

Heard that coolant should taste sweet and a bitter taste could be brake fluid?
    Last edited by wonderfrog; 25th October 2005 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfrog
    When I taste the liquid, it tastes very foul - almost makes me cough -like the worst beer you could ever drink. It doesn't smell at all. Temperature seems ok and oil seems ok (I think).
    You probably shouldn't be tasting that fluid to start up with. Even if tastes like the worst beer ever

Check all levels, so coolant, oil, brake fluid; It is unlikely to be transmission oil.

Keep an eye on temperature, and an ear to engine noise (apart from the frenchy rattles). I'd think it's water off A/C condensor (but I guess it's cold in Wellington )

When you do find out the reason, please share it back!

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Tadpole

Temperature looks fine. It does have the rattles here and there but seems normal. But the other day it did sound a bit sick as I stopped at an intersection - like it was going to stall but it didn't. Hasn't happened since. Don't know it's related. Its an automatic.

We do use the aircon often here but only for heat!

When I find out the cause will post back.

UPDATE : Found a picture of what it looks like under the hood. The brake fluid reservoir looks to be up the top right which isn't where the leak is coming from. Don't know if it rules this out or not. From the layout (and assuming the leak is coming from the reservoirs and not the pipes) it is likely either to be coolant (but fails the taste test?) or power streering fluid? Or maybe even oil?
    Last edited by wonderfrog; 25th October 2005 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfrog
    Temperature looks fine. It does have the rattles here and there but seems normal. But the other day it did sound a bit sick as I stopped at an intersection - like it was going to stall but it didn't. Hasn't happened since. Don't know it's related. Its an automatic.

We do use the aircon often here but only for heat!

When I find out the cause will post back.

UPDATE : Found a picture of what it looks like under the hood. The brake fluid reservoir looks to be up the top right which isn't where the leak is coming from. Don't know if it rules this out or not. From the layout (and assuming the leak is coming from the reservoirs and not the pipes) it is likely either to be coolant (but fails the taste test?) or power streering fluid? Or maybe even oil?
    Wonderfrog,here is a few tests for you to try. if you rub it between forefinger & thumb is it slippery/slimey like oil?.If it is it will be from engine or transmission and you will need to keep a close eye on these via the dipsticks. If its slimey and you leave some on your finger for several minutes & it starts to sting it is most likely brake fluid. To confirm this if you pour a small amount of water on the puddle & it goes milky but mixes with the water this would mean its probably brake fluid too.Brake fluid readily mixes with water. If it isn't slippery/slimey between your fingers then it is probably water & if it is brown coloured then it could just be water coming from a body drain hole that might need poking with a stick to clear it out. Sometimes water will get trapped in cavities when the drains get blocked with muck.If the water has been there a while it will get pretty feral.Don't put it in your mouth. Does the puddle apper when the car is parked on slope, facing uphill,down hill or on the level?
    Hope it is nothing serious.
    Dom

Tadpole

Totally awesome info Dom. Will get back to you on your tests asap.

By the way, it is slippery/slimey between the fingers.
    Last edited by wonderfrog; 26th October 2005 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dom19
    Wonderfrog,here is a few tests for you to try. if you rub it between forefinger & thumb is it slippery/slimey like oil?.If it is it will be from engine or transmission and you will need to keep a close eye on these via the dipsticks. If its slimey and you leave some on your finger for several minutes & it starts to sting it is most likely brake fluid. To confirm this if you pour a small amount of water on the puddle & it goes milky but mixes with the water this would mean its probably brake fluid too.Brake fluid readily mixes with water. If it isn't slippery/slimey between your fingers then it is probably water & if it is brown coloured then it could just be water coming from a body drain hole that might need poking with a stick to clear it out. Sometimes water will get trapped in cavities when the drains get blocked with muck.If the water has been there a while it will get pretty feral.Don't put it in your mouth. Does the puddle apper when the car is parked on slope, facing uphill,down hill or on the level?
    Hope it is nothing serious.
    Dom
    I would endorse that. no tasting of unkown substances. If it isn't oily then it is either water from the a/c condenser or from the body drain holes

Tadpole

Dom,

Some results of the tests. Not all done yet.

Ok the fluid is slimey/slippery as mentioned previously. There appears to be no fluid leaking when I park facing up a steep hill but there does appear to be fluid leaking when I park facing down a steep hill.

More info : the car really struggles badly up hills now - it almost conks out. When I was going up a really steep hill, it seemed to refuse to switch into first (I think!) when I manually engaged it - was really struggling. This is really unusual. However it was struggling on a less steep hill but would let me switch into first and then seemed to have no problems roaring up the hill. The car is an automatic.

I think its a 1.2litre model.

UPDATE : Ok the brake fluid reservoir looks ok. So does the power steering reservoir. Oil looks ok to me although maybe a bit low. Coolant reservoir is bone dry. But I don't understand why the temperate guage appears to be showing the temperature is fine. And I thought it was supposed to taste sweet. So does it look like it's just coolant? Would this make it run rough up hills?

I can't to the test involving adding water because it looks like whatever was leaking has now totally dried up.
    Last edited by wonderfrog; 26th October 2005 at 08:48 AM.

Thread Information