Replacing 505 Steering Rack Bellows
  • Register
  • Help

Default Replacing 505 Steering Rack Bellows/ Gaiter

Is this the same as a 'rubber boot' for steering rack? When dismantling the LH side, I have unbolted: track rod, power steering ram and 2 studs into chassis/cross member. What about the stud attached to a collar wrapped around the steering rack? Does it come out? Or can you fit the new boot over it- seems like a bit of a stretch! I guess it is elementary if you have done it before, but in some things I am a bit of a first timer! Have really appreciated advice given so far on other matters! Some I am still working on. Peter

Advertisement
    Last edited by PeterR; 26th October 2005 at 09:25 PM.

have a look here
    505 1986 - rack & pinion boot
    Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR
    Is this the same as a 'rubber boot' for steering rack? When dismantling the LH side, I have unbolted: track rod, power steering ram and 2 studs into chassis/cross member. What about the stud attached to a collar wrapped around the steering rack? Does it come out? Or can you fit the new boot over it- seems like a bit of a stretch! I guess it is elementary if you have done it before, but in some things I am a bit of a first timer! Have really appreciated advice given so far on other matters! Some I am still working on. Peter
    Take off the rubber cap at the end of the rack (easy to pry out with smallish screwdrivers - be carefull) under that is 'round' nut. My special tool was a cheap stilson wrench. The bigger the better.
    When you unscrew this nut you can take off the big bolt thing and slip the new bellows on easily. It looks hard but is quite easy.
    So many projects - so little time.

Many thanks mate! When turning the track rod, which way does it screw? Looking at it from the tie rod end is it clockwise or anti-clockwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    Take off the rubber cap at the end of the rack (easy to pry out with smallish screwdrivers - be carefull) under that is 'round' nut. My special tool was a cheap stilson wrench. The bigger the better.
    When you unscrew this nut you can take off the big bolt thing and slip the new bellows on easily. It looks hard but is quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR
    Many thanks mate! When turning the track rod, which way does it screw? Looking at it from the tie rod end is it clockwise or anti-clockwise?
    From memory, it is normal thread NOT reverse thread.
    Clean all the old grease off it so you can get a good close up look.

It has a funny looking lock washer behind it and I stressed a bit thinking it would never undo, but the large stilsons undid it cleanly.

Warning - The car will need to be up high & it takes a bit of effort (brute force) to turn that nut - so make sure the car is well supported so it wont jump off it's stands. Put the wheels under the car so it has something to fall on instead of you!
    So many projects - so little time.

Now that I have finished the job with the help of fellow froggies,I have a couple of comments:-
    The job is easier than I thought it would be. The smaller rubber gaiter looked as though the collar had to come off as well,and that is was part of the large gaiter, but following your advice with the small screw-drivers, it just popped off. That was easy. I used a pipe wrench to get that 'round nut' off and it didn't score much. When I screwed the track rod back, I found that it was very important to seat the special lock washer first and hold it in position, before screwing it in. I could see that failing to do this would result in the whole assembly not bedding down properly. Yes, it is a Right Hand thread! Thanks again for your help! Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    From memory, it is normal thread NOT reverse thread.
    Clean all the old grease off it so you can get a good close up look.

It has a funny looking lock washer behind it and I stressed a bit thinking it would never undo, but the large stilsons undid it cleanly.

Warning - The car will need to be up high & it takes a bit of effort (brute force) to turn that nut - so make sure the car is well supported so it wont jump off it's stands. Put the wheels under the car so it has something to fall on instead of you!

Thread Information