504 from 3speed to 1 speed to 5 speed......
  • Register
  • Help
    ade
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 from 3speed to 1 speed to 5 speed......

I have just completed the auto conversion, after losing 2nd and 3rd, to the BA10 5 speed. For somebody who has never replaced an engine, gearbox or clutch I did it with relative ease. The only real question I have is 'Why didn't I do this sooner?'. So much nicer to drive.........

Advertisement

Tadpole

nice one, well done. I'd love to do the same to my 504 wagon, only i'll need a ba7/5. the expense and sourcing one of these is the only thing holding me back.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ade,
    you changed your auto 504 to a 5 spee manual? What year is the 504? I've had a few dramas with doing this to mine, some things didn't match up.
    Mine is a 72 504, and i couldn't really use my torque tube, i've just replaced it with a 505 torque tube. Because of this i've had to replace the dif also, as my 72 diff won't fit onto a 505 torque tube. Did you have any dramas like these, or is your 504 a later model and didn't have any shit like this to contend with!

What have you done with your gearshift?

Cheers,
    Andrew

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roo504
    Hi Ade,
    you changed your auto 504 to a 5 spee manual? What year is the 504? I've had a few dramas with doing this to mine, some things didn't match up.
    Mine is a 72 504, and i couldn't really use my torque tube, i've just replaced it with a 505 torque tube. Because of this i've had to replace the dif also, as my 72 diff won't fit onto a 505 torque tube. Did you have any dramas like these, or is your 504 a later model and didn't have any shit like this to contend with!

What have you done with your gearshift?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Hi Andrew

You guessed right, I do have a late model 504 (79) which seemed to have made it much easier. No dramas with fitting of any kind, including gearbox to torque tube, it fitted straight on. And the gearshift from the 505 fitted straight in after chopping the transmission tunnel to something more like the 505's. Quite large compared to the 504 auto opening. Had a bit of trouble figuring out the linkage until I saw a perfectly good photo of the setup in the 505 Haynes manual. The greatest difficulty I had was trying to find M7 nuts for attaching the master cylinder! Repco aren't quite as useless as I thought they were.

From what I have seen (use to work on my ex's 505GR) and heard here, there is much less mechanical difference between the late model 504 and 505GR than there is between the early and late model 504's. But if you want technical advice, there is much better sources for this than me. Try a search of the forums or ask an old hand here. good luck

ade

Hi ADE,

How much of the tunnel has to be removed? How did you patch the hole? Did you keep your 504 center console? Does the end product have the factory look? No more questions....

Quote Originally Posted by ade
    Hi Andrew

You guessed right, I do have a late model 504 (79) which seemed to have made it much easier. No dramas with fitting of any kind, including gearbox to torque tube, it fitted straight on. And the gearshift from the 505 fitted straight in after chopping the transmission tunnel to something more like the 505's. Quite large compared to the 504 auto opening. Had a bit of trouble figuring out the linkage until I saw a perfectly good photo of the setup in the 505 Haynes manual. The greatest difficulty I had was trying to find M7 nuts for attaching the master cylinder! Repco aren't quite as useless as I thought they were.

From what I have seen (use to work on my ex's 505GR) and heard here, there is much less mechanical difference between the late model 504 and 505GR than there is between the early and late model 504's. But if you want technical advice, there is much better sources for this than me. Try a search of the forums or ask an old hand here. good luck

ade

ade
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ouigpt
    Hi ADE,

How much of the tunnel has to be removed? How did you patch the hole? Did you keep your 504 center console? Does the end product have the factory look? No more questions....
    I went by the diagram in the 505 manual, roughly a 300mm X 150mm hole which encompasses the orginal auto hole. I could have probably made it a lot smaller but it would have been a lot more difficult fitting the front linkage. Patching the hole is a towel and the carpet, a more permanent solution will come this weekend. Either an altered 505 tunnel cover or shaped aluminium sheet. It wont be seen after the carpet and console are replaced. As for the console, I was told they are different to an auto and bought one accordingly. On quick inspection they dont appear to be different though, will find out for sure this Saturday. As for questions, I would be a hypocrite if I did not want you to ask them. I have asked plenty while here, feel free but like I said prior, there are far more experienced hands here.

good luck.

I'm confused.

When I put a 5 speed box into my 1969 504, I didn't have to modify the tunnel, didn't have any problems with the torque tube or tailshaft lining up, and used the original everything except the gearbox and speedo cable. 10,000kms later, that car is still going great.

What did I do wrong?
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Was yours already a manual? The ones above were autos. That may be the difference.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

The autos only have a small hole in the floor, not like the 505's which all had the same hole.

Cheers
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Thread Information