404 wagon
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 wagon

Tadpole

Default 404 wagon

Hi everyone, I would be interested to hear what anyone has to say about aquiring a 404 wagon/break. I'm nearing completion of my latest 504 wagon project and have started thinking about a possible new project (i like my wagons!). Its extremely rare these days to see a 404 wagon advertised for sale and I was wondering approximately how many of these cars are left in Australia? How hard are they to come by and does anyone know of any currently for sale? Are they good cars and worth spending a bit of money on?

Advertisement

Thanks, look forward to hearing any responses

They are rare but not too hard to find I wouldn't think, there are still some in daily use. Most cars I have seen would need full restorations, body & interior in particular.

I've got a 1964 404 Wagon that is in daily use. A friend of mine borrowed it 12 months ago because he was carless, and still has it.

I have retrofitted mine with a 504 2 litre and 4 speed BA7 with a floor shift and hydraulic clutch.

Solid as a rock, and they feel like they could go anywhere. However they are a little more cramped to work on than the 504, as the engine bay is deeper, but narrower and shorter.

It's becoming very difficult to find parts for them in good condition, particularly plastics.

I would recommend a later model, as then you get discs on the front, brake booster, 5 main bearing engine, ba7 gearbox and a hypoid diff.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu
    I've got a 1964 404 Wagon that is in daily use. A friend of mine borrowed it 12 months ago because he was carless, and still has it.

I have retrofitted mine with a 504 2 litre and 4 speed BA7 with a floor shift and hydraulic clutch.

Solid as a rock, and they feel like they could go anywhere. However they are a little more cramped to work on than the 504, as the engine bay is deeper, but narrower and shorter.

It's becoming very difficult to find parts for them in good condition, particularly plastics.

I would recommend a later model, as then you get discs on the front, brake booster, 5 main bearing engine, ba7 gearbox and a hypoid diff.

You don't get disc brakes on the wagons.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    You don't get disc brakes on the wagons.
    Graham
    Ahh bugger.

I haven't looked much into this, but can I fit discs to the front and still keep my 5 stud wheels?
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

thanks for the info good peoples, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for one. My dad had one in the mid to late '80s as a farm car, said it was a great car although had a minor scraping, unidentifiable noise that no one could solve. Interesting about the disc brakes - I just assumed that the later model wagons would be the same as the later model sedans.
    for the comments!

Thread Information