405 Climate control
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Climate control

After discussion with numerous people. Some at the last Sydney AF BBQ. I decided to look at the temp control dial on the 405 that failed a week after I got the car (like everything else )

I was told that there is a gear or something, and that the teeth are probably stripped. But they are not.

I also noticed when I turn the dial to 19C, I hear the A/C compressor kick in, and if I turn the dial up in temperature, the compressor shuts off.

This appears to be working fine... though the air coming out of the vents is blisteringly hot, regardless of if the A/C button is pressed or not, and regardless of where the temperature dial is.

I don't have a clue where to start looking. Is there an "in cabin" temp sensor that tells the A/C how much cold or hot air to pump in, to make it the temperature you have dialled in?

I have no clue. Air con on bikes was easy. Flip open the visor and cop a mouth full of bees.

Advertisement

cheers
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

I had similar problembs years ago in my 1989 GR (Carbie) model, I was in Brunei at the time and UK peugeot sent me out the Aircon manual, followed the fault finding charts and fixed it but I cant remember which, some one on this site has access to genuine manual but I noted that the seriesII haynes manuals had almost the same information in them and there is little difference except for the control panels.... oh yes I remember it was the temp selector and had to get a new one that I managed to get for free from the loacal dealer in Singapore under some warranty deal.

All you need is a good multimeter and old analogue one will do, less erroneous indications, and lots of time and patience.

trust that this helps
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Fellow Frogger!

Default air con

Pips, sounds like the temp dial is fine. The problem is likely to be in the heater flap motor/operation. Have you actually checked the thing that operates the heater flap? Its ok? It may be fried even thought the teeth are ok. I'll have a look for the manual which lets you check it.
    1984 505 STI

So what you are saying is that the flap could be stuck in the open position, letting in all the hot air from the heater core?

I thought this was just cable operated. I shall look closer for the motor, and see if it's working. I assume there's a fuse for it. It's easier checking that before starting to remove the dash... much easier. :p

Cheers
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

1990 405 Mi16

Fellow Frogger!

Default flap

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying. THe heater flap may be stuck in the open position! The motor is roughly in behind the dial that controls the luminence of the dash lights. Its entirely accesible without removing the dash, its not all that comfortable putting your head down there though. Turn the ignition on and move the temp dial from hot then to cold position. You should be able to hear the motor moving the flap. If its not moving, it could be buggered. Id suggest you take it out and dismantle it and see if something has seized. Then you will also be able to operate the flap by hand and check if it moves freely.

check this thread

Removing 405 glove box

In particular the posts by LeePower which show you pics of the thing your looking for.
    1984 505 STI

I'm very tried, but I did read the thread you posted. Cheers for that.

Though, the pics gave me a 404 error. They no longer exist.

Also, it appears they are talking more about the motor that controls the flap for fresh air/recycled air. Am I right, or will I have to read it again when I'm awake?

That part of the air control appears to be working.

Cheers
    pips

1990 405 Mi16

Fellow Frogger!

Default flap

Pips the motor attaches directly to a lever that in turn directly operates the heater flap. Once the motor is off you can operate the heater flap with your hand. There is no cable. If hot air is always coming in this means

a) Heater flap physically stuck in hot position
    b) Heater flap not stuck but motor is failing to move it to the cool postion

if b), either motor is stuffed, or its not getting the correct signals to move it.

You will get a much better understanding of what I'm saying when you have a look at it, its fairly easy then to work out whats going on.
    1984 505 STI

Thread Information