How to remove steering lock???? 504ti
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default How to remove steering lock???? 504ti

I am in the process on installing a button start for my car, but have came acropper on an issue. becasue i wont be using the ignition barrel any more. nor the key for that matter, what do i do about the steering lock...

so the question is...

How do i remove the steering lock?

or is there another option?

mike

Advertisement
    1972 504 Ti

Presumedly you will be retaining the key as a manner of facilitating access to your locked vehicle? This being the case you could continue to use the steering lock as another layer of vehicle security. From what I could imagine you could set it or not depending on the circumstances and it still leaves the key lock/ignition area as first point of call for any thief, a suitable time wasting ruse.

ed ge

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Presumedly you will be retaining the key as a manner of facilitating access to your locked vehicle? This being the case you could continue to use the steering lock as another layer of vehicle security. From what I could imagine you could set it or not depending on the circumstances and it still leaves the key lock/ignition area as first point of call for any thief, a suitable time wasting ruse.

ed ge
    the car has an after market ignition barrel, as for some reason the old carked its self, so i have a key for the doors and a seperate key for the ignition.

mike
    1972 504 Ti

and this is a problem because?

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

al

Get one of those funky batman style starters that are under a cover on the gearknob...

And isn't security going to be a bit average if a key isn't needed to start the thing? This is a road car isn't it?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Icon7

Mike,

To remove the steering lock you have to remove the barrel. The locks are virtually unbreakable. To get the lock out is a pain in the backside. I have had to remove the lock from a 505 column so I could put it into another 505 that didn't have keys to tow it home. You are welcome to have it, it is of no use to me. Send me an email if interested. It's off a 505 and looks like the 504 ones so I think it will fit. Does any one here know whether they do fit?

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Get one of those funky batman style starters that are under a cover on the gearknob...

And isn't security going to be a bit average if a key isn't needed to start the thing? This is a road car isn't it?
    yer, its for my TI, but the start button i have, has a built in key, that is that the top comes off the accual button and you cant start it with the top, i am also getting a battery isolator key, which then requires both keys to start.... altho i know that its a 33yr old car, there not that hard to start with the key... all u need is some wire, and some plastic strip to get past the door locks.... but i wont go there....

mike
    1972 504 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L
    yer, its for my TI, but the start button i have, has a built in key, that is that the top comes off the accual button and you cant start it with the top, i am also getting a battery isolator key, which then requires both keys to start.... altho i know that its a 33yr old car, there not that hard to start with the key... all u need is some wire, and some plastic strip to get past the door locks.... but i wont go there....

mike
    Hotwiring a 504 is dead easy. Actually driving it without the key is virtually impossible. There is an inch-and-a-half by quarter-inch hardened steel rectangular pin that slides into the side of the steering column to lock it. A standard steering wheel will buckle and break long before the steering lock gives way!!

Unless the would-be theives are planning on driving the car to their destination without turning the steering wheel, I would suggest they bring a truck.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu
    Hotwiring a 504 is dead easy. Actually driving it without the key is virtually impossible. There is an inch-and-a-half by quarter-inch hardened steel rectangular pin that slides into the side of the steering column to lock it. A standard steering wheel will buckle and break long before the steering lock gives way!!

Unless the would-be theives are planning on driving the car to their destination without turning the steering wheel, I would suggest they bring a truck.
    lol... yer, i cut the steeringlock off, so i dont have to worry about it
    mike
    1972 504 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L

mike
    i can train my cat to get into a 504 and start it without a key............

but why not just get a 504 barrel that has a working steering lock and key, rather then go to the trouble of intalling isolators and push starters etc?

in fact i know someone who has a 504 ignition switch, with key, and he'd be prepared to send it COD to your nearest post office...........

Ralph, you asked aboutigntion locks,
    a 505 ignition barrel will not fit a 504 coloum, as the 505 one is longer, BUT the 504 barrel will fit into a 505, and it plugs straight into the loom, but being a shorter barrel, the steering lock wont reach down into the steering colum to lock it.....

Icon7

Thanks Owen. I was actually wondering if the complete 505 steering column as per photo will bolt straight into a 504 as I have one here minus the barrel that Tony might be interested in.

Matt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to remove steering lock???? 504ti-steering-column.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=123abc]i can train my cat to get into a 504 and start it without a key............

but why not just get a 504 barrel that has a working steering lock and key, rather then go to the trouble of intalling isolators and push starters etc?

in fact i know someone who has a 504 ignition switch, with key, and he'd be prepared to send it COD to your nearest post office...........
    QUOTE]

there is nothing is nothing wrong with the ingition barrel.. i just wanted button start.... that all,

ive got it all running now, just some little tweeks with the wireing and that is all

mike
    1972 504 Ti

Icon7

The Leopard tank and M113 are button start. The ASLAV is switch start. No keys involved. Peugeots should be too!

Matt.

Thread Information