Please help! S16 unhealthy
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 Please help! S16 unhealthy

Hi everyone, Ive just been for a short drive today, and halfway through my S16 is running very badly. Been driving easy, and when I slow down going over speed-bumps, I notice the car is shaking badly. Especially near 1200rpm it shakes like this, and sounds almost like a volkswagon . Even slowly taking up to higher revs it still sounds very poor. It seems like not all the cylinders are firing properly, also a loss of power. What would cause this problem with my pug?
    It's just been serviced a couple of weeks ago, and everything has seemed fine. If anyone has any comments it would be appreciated greatly.

Advertisement

Thanks

has it had the coil pack replaced ? that makes it seem like it's running on just some of the cylinders...

and the shaking you describe- maybe engine mounts are gone - common problem on 306 especially if hasnt been serviced by someone who knows the S16... it could be something else i guess but that's all I can think of right now
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Wow... that was strange... I've just left it sitting for a couple of hours, and tried starting it again just then... It was back to its normal self...

WHAT THE.........

Im glad its back to normal, but still wondering what would have caused it to behave like that. Especially to stop it doing something like that again.
    Thanks for the reply though
    1995 306 S16

We all know frogs go: la de da dee daa
    They dont go: vroom vroom vroom

s16

Still watch out for the coil pack Ace, when i had my S16 it happened twice.

The problem you are experiencing is def the coil pack, running on three cyls and sounding like a VW.

My guess mate is that you have dropped an ignition coil, when the engine cools and you restart the car it appears that the problem is gone, but after around 15min of driving it will reappear.

No stress, all reputable pug repairers will know of the fault, should have replacements and you'll be back on the road in no time. From memory you'll be around $120 lighter for the experience.
    Scott

'95 306 S16 - gone to a good home

'02 Renault Sport Clio - Monaco Blue

Quote Originally Posted by s16
    Still watch out for the coil pack Ace, when i had my S16 it happened twice.

The problem you are experiencing is def the coil pack, running on three cyls and sounding like a VW.

My guess mate is that you have dropped an ignition coil, when the engine cools and you restart the car it appears that the problem is gone, but after around 15min of driving it will reappear.

No stress, all reputable pug repairers will know of the fault, should have replacements and you'll be back on the road in no time. From memory you'll be around $120 lighter for the experience.
    Ok, thanks for that, I'll get it looked at as soon as possible. Is there usually anything that causes this fault, or just a freak occurance? Once again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ace135
    Wow... that was strange... I've just left it sitting for a couple of hours, and tried starting it again just then... It was back to its normal self...

WHAT THE.........

Im glad its back to normal, but still wondering what would have caused it to behave like that. Especially to stop it doing something like that again.
    Thanks for the reply though
    It's one of the coil packs.

Runs good from cold, then after about say 20 mins it cuts in and starts playing up. You leave it to cool for 1-2 hours, runs fine again for 20 odd mins and starts playing up.

Defo a coil pack.

Get it up to running temp (where its playing up) carefully take the coil pack cover off (without burning yourself) and while the engine is running pop out the coils, 1 at a time and you will be able to find the dud one.

*edit* Not a freak occurance, it's a common design fault on the s16 engine. Coil packs should have good ventilation, and these ones don't theyre completely sealed.

Thanks Kyle

And I better thank my engine too (for its stunning design)... Cheers everyone, at least I now now cause and solution to this problem.
    Thanks for your replies
    1995 306 S16

s16

As above, they all tend to go south at some stage, heat being a contributing factor. There is a bloke (who's name escapes, he is on AF as well) has a Mi16 track car who has bolted the coils on the firewall, others i've read somewhere use commodore coils, don't know much about either solution sorry Ace.

I dropped one coil, then lost the others within 6 months. I almost think it's a case of if not when with those things, maybe it was just me.

That said they did all last at least 8 years and 160,000 kms and that was all that went wrong engine wise so shouldn't complain.
    Scott

'95 306 S16 - gone to a good home

'02 Renault Sport Clio - Monaco Blue

To add to everyone's comments...sounds like a coil pack. I had one go on me a couple of weeks ago....just after I had my O2 sensor replaced. They do tend to go unexpectedly...a few symptons , goes well for a little while and finallly three cyclinders like a VW
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    To add to everyone's comments...sounds like a coil pack. I had one go on me a couple of weeks ago....just after I had my O2 sensor replaced. They do tend to go unexpectedly...a few symptons , goes well for a little while and finallly three cyclinders like a VW
    Thanks, at least it isnt a major problem. Even though it was mighty embarassing driving home with it sounding that bad.
    Seems like a fun weekend though, just got word from a mate, thinking his Magna needs an engine rebuild (see how it turns out). Serves him right for bagging the pug
    1995 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by Ace135
    Thanks, at least it isnt a major problem. Even though it was mighty embarassing driving home with it sounding that bad.
    Seems like a fun weekend though, just got word from a mate, thinking his Magna needs an engine rebuild (see how it turns out). Serves him right for bagging the pug
    Just one thing, some dealers may suggest replacing all four coils at once (which will probably run to more than $500). I've had my S16 for 10 years, and I've been through four coils. The first went after about 3 years, and then progressively one every 18 months or so. Haven't had a problem for a while now, which probably means I'm due for one to fail. The S16 is different to the GTI-6 in that the coils can be replaced individually, in the GTI-6 it is a pack and they can't be replaced individually. It's actually not that hard to replace it yourself if you feel up to it.

to diy you need to take the alloy cover off the top of the head (where it says 16V) there are two rows of bolts (10mm), I think maybe 12 of them??? you will need to do it while it is hot unfortunately, so be carefull not to burn your hands, gloves may be a good idea. once you lift the cover off, you can see the coils. each has it's own connector. With the engine running, take off one connector at a time, if the engine slows down (or stops), then it's a good coil, put the connector back on. keep doing this until you find the one where it makes no difference whether the connector is on or off, and this is your bad coil. You can simply lift this out (give it a little tug) and plug in the new one, reconnect the wire and you should be in business (after replacing the cover). Note someone else has suggested removing the cover completely, I'm thinking of doing this but first I'd like to make some sort of restraint that can sit on top of the coils so that they can't pop out .

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

how much is a coil pack ? or one coil indicidually if you just buy the parts yourself btw ?
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

I paid 140 for a single coil from alec mildren...

Thread Information