Stiff Clutch
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Stiff Clutch

Tadpole

Default Stiff Clutch

I've just bought a '92 405 Mi16, done 170,000, excellent cond! Very nice!
    But the clutch pedal is stiff and jerky, making it very difficult for fine pedal movement.
    Is this normal? The mechanic at the dealer (A. Cullen & Son - Nambour) said that the clutch unit is sealed therefor hard to get into - is this true?
    Otherwise it's a beautiful thing to drive.

Also, any ideas on how to deal with the dashboard plastic having gone soft and very scratchable - replaceable?

Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by newpug
    I've just bought a '92 405 Mi16, done 170,000, excellent cond! Very nice!
    But the clutch pedal is stiff and jerky, making it very difficult for fine pedal movement.
    Is this normal? The mechanic at the dealer (A. Cullen & Son - Nambour) said that the clutch unit is sealed therefor hard to get into - is this true?
    Otherwise it's a beautiful thing to drive.

Also, any ideas on how to deal with the dashboard plastic having gone soft and very scratchable - replaceable?

Any advice appreciated.
    Hey newpug,
    Nice purchase mate
    I had a heavy and jerky (and squeaky) clutch pedal too. I replaced the clutch cable and lubricated the pivot point of the release arm and the pedal is now quiet and much smoother. It's still just as heavy but this is pretty characteristic of a worn Mi16 clutch and the only way to improve this is to replace it. I've driven an Mi16 with a brand new clutch and it was very light compared to mine, which is has recently got even heavier and I think is nearing the end of it's life. Not sure if the series two has a different clutch or not...but every series two car I've driven had a heavy/jerky clutch too (much worse than my series one).

The clutch cable is pretty straight forward to replace...you just need to remove all the induction components, battery and battery tray and it's all there in front of you. To inspect or replace the clutch you need to drop the gearbox.

As for the plastic bits you can get them from wreckers. Most have that soft/scratchable surface although some models may be better..not sure. You just have to be careful with it.

Good luck with it.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Tadpole

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAG80
    Hey newpug,
    Nice purchase mate
    I had a heavy and jerky (and squeaky) clutch pedal too. I replaced the clutch cable and lubricated the pivot point of the release arm and the pedal is now quiet and much smoother. It's still just as heavy but this is pretty characteristic of a worn Mi16 clutch and the only way to improve this is to replace it. I've driven an Mi16 with a brand new clutch and it was very light compared to mine, which is has recently got even heavier and I think is nearing the end of it's life. Not sure if the series two has a different clutch or not...but every series two car I've driven had a heavy/jerky clutch too (much worse than my series one).

The clutch cable is pretty straight forward to replace...you just need to remove all the induction components, battery and battery tray and it's all there in front of you. To inspect or replace the clutch you need to drop the gearbox.

As for the plastic bits you can get them from wreckers. Most have that soft/scratchable surface although some models may be better..not sure. You just have to be careful with it.

Good luck with it.

Thanks JAG80, I'll give it a go.

Thread Information