Noises in my 206 GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 Noises in my 206 GTi

Hey guys,

Ive been getting strange noises coming from my Pug lately. Its really off putting because i purposely dont play music so i can listen to the sweet engine sounds, but recently when ive been doing it i can hear these 2 distinct 'clicking' noises.

One is coming from around the gearstick, more on the passenger side (maybe near the glovebox?). I can't pinpoint the noise and its starting to shit me. Happends every minute or so. Almost sounds like a creaking noise?

The other is coming from the rear windshield area. The noise sounds like its 'creaking glass'. Like a sorta scratching noise. Happens moreso on the left side of the car (if you were facing it from behind), and happens when you go over slight bumps in the road.

Advertisement

If anybody has any idea what these could be, it would be much appreciated. My next service isnt due for a while and i am flat out at work so dont have much time to bring her in to a mechanic for a looksee.

Any replies are much appreciated, thanks Froggers!

how many KM's has your car done?

It could even be creaking shocks, especially if the noise sounds as if it is coming from the rear windscreen.

206's can have creaky shocks, I have known of a few cases. And they alwasy come from the rear, it sounds like something in the boot is creaky, then you realise it is the shocks
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Car is 2002 and has done about 30,000k.

Its really strange though, with the car parked i give the rear a bit of a push up and down to see if i can hear the noise but i cant. I only ever hear it when i am driving.

If it is the rear shocks, would it be hard/expensive to fix?
    Last edited by kangfu; 20th October 2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kangfu
    Car is 2002 and has done about 30,000k.

Its really strange though, with the car parked i give the rear a bit of a push up and down to see if i can hear the noise but i cant. I only ever hear it when i am driving.

If it is the rear shocks, would it be hard/expensive to fix?
    WD40 where the seatbelt anchor is with all those metal plates and bolts rubbing against each other, took me a whole year to work it out !!

If that fails, and if you're sure it's from the shifter, get the guys to check at next service, probably the rubber has worn out ??...i had the shift mechanism replaced around your milage under warranty.

Does the noise fromt he rear only happens when you're turning ? For me that's the case and the exhaust pipe was rusted out and the muffler didn't have enough support so it hits the heatshield of the spare rim all the time...

Hope that helps.

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Thanks, i'll try the WD40 and see if that works. I dont think thats the sound though, i swear its coming from nearer to the front left hand corner of the shifter.

The sound at the back doesnt only happen when turning, it happens when driving on a straight road even, and when i hit bumps in the road. ie: a speedhump will make a loud noise.

The sound at the back was really bad 2 nights ago, but after me jumping up and down in the boot for a bit it seems to have gotten better? (though its still there if you listen).

I dont want my beloved car making noises ... Waaaaa

Thanks, i'll try the WD40 and see if that works. I dont think thats the sound though, i swear its coming from nearer to the front left hand corner of the shifter.
    worth a try, in-cabin noise is the hardest to find because noises bouncing off everywhere.

The sound at the back doesnt only happen when turning, it happens when driving on a straight road even, and when i hit bumps in the road. ie: a speedhump will make a loud noise.

The sound at the back was really bad 2 nights ago, but after me jumping up and down in the boot for a bit it seems to have gotten better? (though its still there if you listen).
    is the rear muffler exit lower than it was out of the factory ?? if so i'm pretty sure it's the muffler.

Jason
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

I dont want my beloved car making noises ... Waaaaa
    Hmm,

First course of action for me would be to climb in the back and double check that the seat backs are locked in properly, and that there is no annoying hard stuff banging on the seat backs.

Secondly, it could well be the hatch shifting slightly. If you check the latch pin on the car when you open the hatch, you will find it's plastic. It wears in a certain spot and may need replacing. The pin is on the car (on the "beaver" panel, I believe it's called) not on the hatch, and it is where the latch connects with the car.

As an interim, you can apply a small amount of tape to it to beef it up a bit, but if it is worn, it is worn and should be changed, especially if it is annoying you.

Should be enough to get you going for now
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks for all the replies!

I will try all of those suggestions tonight and report back.

Love this forum by the way .. go the frogs!

Tried all of the suggestions so far. Noise is still there. =(

I have been paying close attention to the sound, and i think its actually more of a 'tapping' noise on the metal back of the back seat. Boot is totally empty, so i am thinking is something INSIDE of the seat that is loose and being flung around when i hit bumps?

Has anybody ever opened up the back seat or know how to?

Noise at the front is gone, for now. It comes back once in a while which is weird. Have no idea what that one is (i tried the WD40 on the anchor point, may have been it but who knows )

Tried all of the suggestions so far. Noise is still there. =(

I have been paying close attention to the sound, and i think its actually more of a 'tapping' noise on the metal back of the back seat. Boot is totally empty, so i am thinking is something INSIDE of the seat that is loose and being flung around when i hit bumps?

Has anybody ever opened up the back seat or know how to?

Noise at the front is gone, for now. It comes back once in a while which is weird. Have no idea what that one is (i tried the WD40 on the anchor point, may have been it but who knows )
    Once i found the glue/sticky tape on the back of the rear seat trims are coming off and have some weird rattle, worth a check if there's a large gap there ??

if the noise at the front improved, maybe do a more thorough lube around the anchor, wiggle it around while you're spraying.
    Jason

Red Car Bling factor :

Thread Information