Nokia Tires, opinions needed
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Nokia Tires, opinions needed

Has anyone tried the HR rated Nokia tires in 195/60/15 or similar size? I am looking for a spirited performer for my 504 daily driver. Noise is not important and I typically replace them every 10,000 km or less. I was in the process of getting Falkens today and the man at the tire place recommended the Nokia instead, so I postponed my purchase and I am posting this inquiry.

Thanos

Advertisement

i hear they make good phones
    2001 306 RALLYE

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jannear
    i hear they make good phones
    Yes, and they do not have to warm up; they work right away. What mileage do they get, do you know?

Thanos

nJm

To the best of my knowledge they aren't sold in Australia. I'm sure I'd remember seeing Nokia tyres somewhere! It's just one of those things you'd remember, like we have a Mitsubishi VCR. It even has the 3-diamond symbol on it. lol
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Never heard of that tyre brand. What Falkens are you going through in 10,000kms? That's pretty atrocious tyre wear!
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Yes, and they do not have to warm up; they work right away. What mileage do they get, do you know?

Thanos
    I think the extra radiation that comes with it will make it last 10x longer !!
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

1000+ Posts

Nokia is from Finland and quite a popular brand in snowy countries and AFAIK they have a fairly big following in rally. They make studded tyres from memory, as well. I seem to remember they had a big rap for their Nokia Hakkepelitta (spelling?) rally tyre way back. Basically, they definitely aren't a crap brand, but I can't tell you anything else...

Edit: Google on Nokia Hakkapeliitta - plenty of info, much of it Scandinavian...

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 19th October 2005 at 12:35 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Never heard of that tyre brand.
    He probably meant Nokian - they're a fairly common winter tyre in Scandinavia, but also make summer tyres.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!

Never heard of that tyre brand. What Falkens are you going through in 10,000kms? That's pretty atrocious tyre wear!
    Actually, Lincoln, that's about all I get out of any tire brand, not just Falkens. There is plenty of tread left, but the adhesion is not there. The older Greek roads are notorious for their low friction coefficient. Great for mileage, terrible for adhesion, so if you stomp on it pretty hard, you need the tires to be at their best. I seem to go through tires at triple the rate compared to the time I lived in the States.

Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Actually, Lincoln, that's about all I get out of any tire brand, not just Falkens. There is plenty of tread left, but the adhesion is not there. The older Greek roads are notorious for their low friction coefficient. Great for mileage, terrible for adhesion, so if you stomp on it pretty hard, you need the tires to be at their best. I seem to go through tires at triple the rate compared to the time I lived in the States.

Thanos
    So are you running Falken Azenis RS or RTs?
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    He probably meant Nokian - they're a fairly common winter tyre in Scandinavia, but also make summer tyres.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/
    The brand name on some (or all?) of the actual tyres is Nokia. I've seen these tyres alongside Colways in rally publications for years.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    The brand name on some (or all?) of the actual tyres is Nokia. I've seen these tyres alongside Colways in rally publications for years.
    Definitely not all tyres, probably next to none nowadays - I've only seen them advertised as Nokian tyres in Scandinavia, Germany and North America, basically as Nokian Nxxx models.

European automotive publications are referring to the Nokian brand, not Nokia. I suspect most of the contemporary references to "Nokia" tyres are simply the brand misspelt - Nokia sold out about two years ago.

Eg. a few publications referring to Nokian brand & model tyres - no reference to Nokia at all.

Nokian NRH2 - http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0303/27/dacktest.pdf
    Nokian NRHi - http://www.autobild.de/suche/artikel...rtikel_id=5892
    Various Nokian Tyres - http://www.tirefactory.net/nokian.htm

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Nokia is from Finland and quite a popular brand in snowy countries and AFAIK they have a fairly big following in rally. They make studded tyres from memory, as well. I seem to remember they had a big rap for their Nokia Hakkepelitta (spelling?) rally tyre way back. Basically, they definitely aren't a crap brand, but I can't tell you anything else...

Edit: Google on Nokia Hakkapeliitta - plenty of info, much of it Scandinavian...

Stuey
    Little information from Finland to DownUnder.

Nokia used to be rubber company, they made rubber boots etc. When electricity was inveted they started to make electric cables covered with rubber as an insulator. At some point they started to make TV's and other electronic devices this lead to a order from Finnish Army to replace armys communication systems -> Nokia invented cellular phone system called NMT Nordic Mobile Phone in 1980's. After a while this system was further developed to a GSM. They only gave up their rubber/tyre business recently 'Nokian Renkaat' means 'Nokia's Tyres', n-letter in the end of the word equals english s meaning that it belongs to someone.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta which is their studded winter tyre is where it all started in tyre business.
    Hakkapeliitta comes from 'Hakkaa Paalle' which used to be battle cry of finnish cavalry in the wars/battles against Russia from the middle ages to 1800th century. Russians were many times overwhelmed by this cavalry and they started to call finnish cavalry according their battle cry.

Russian battle cry used to be 'Uraa' and last time they used it was World War II against Finland.

Hakkapeliitta = Hakkaa paalle = Hit them in the head

Peugeot likes Nokian winter tyres but Michelin tyres are much better in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate

Nokia used to be rubber company, they made rubber boots etc. When electricity was inveted they started to make electric cables covered with rubber as an insulator. At some point they started to make TV's and other electronic devices this lead to a order from Finnish Army to replace armys communication systems -> Nokia invented cellular phone system called NMT Nordic Mobile Phone in 1980's. After a while this system was further developed to a GSM. They only gave up their rubber/tyre business recently 'Nokian Renkaat' means 'Nokia's Tyres', n-letter in the end of the word equals english s meaning that it belongs to someone.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta which is their studded winter tyre is where it all started in tyre business.
    Hakkapeliitta comes from 'Hakkaa Paalle' which used to be battle cry of finnish cavalry in the wars/battles against Russia from the middle ages to 1800th century. Russians were many times overwhelmed by this cavalry and they started to call finnish cavalry according their battle cry.

Russian battle cry used to be 'Uraa' and last time they used it was World War II against Finland.

Hei - Kiitos!
    (for those that don't get it - thanks in Finnish)

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!

So are you running Falken Azenis RS or RTs?
    RS, I think.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pate

Thank you for this information, I will stay with the Exalto or Falken then. The Nokia(n) did look a bit "wintery" for my taste even though it was described as a "street" tire.

Thanos

1000+ Posts

Pate, Justin, good information - thanks.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information