505 Front Wheel Bearings
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 Front Wheel Bearings

Is there more to greasing the front wheel bearings than just filling the cup cap and forcing some grease inside!?
    Does the wheel nut need taking off and grease put on the inner bearing?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR
    Is there more to greasing the front wheel bearings than just filling the cup cap and forcing some grease inside!?
    Peter in a word, YES.
    Best to remove wheel, remove hub with bearings, inspect. If the grease is still liquid and clean make sure as much as possible is in contact and inside the bearings, add a bit more.
    If the grease is solid, old and dirty looking, clean the whole thing up and regrease. Make sure you catch any ball bearings that come loose.
    Be sure to use wheel bearing grease.
    Reassemble making sure you get all the ball bearings into place (grease will hold them in until they are seated),and the washer under the locknut the right way around, it should not contact/bind the hub. Gradually tighten the nut only until there is no play in the bearings when the wheel is spun (tested with the wheel refitted, may take quite a few wheel rotations to settle in the grease and bearings. The object is not to tighten the nut right up, only tight enough to remove any play in the bearings. Use a blunt cold chisel to lock the nut onto the hub (or is this only on 504s?).
    Filling the cap and bunging it on under pressure will probably result in the cap popping off.

Paul,
    504-504-504

Many thanks Paul, you have given the info. I needed to know, so will get some wheel bearing grease and give it a try. Is 'Durolith' grease any use? I really appreciate your response! Thank you! Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by 504-504-504
    Peter in a word, YES.
    Best to remove wheel, remove hub with bearings, inspect. If the grease is still liquid and clean make sure as much as possible is in contact and inside the bearings, add a bit more.
    If the grease is solid, old and dirty looking, clean the whole thing up and regrease. Make sure you catch any ball bearings that come loose.
    Be sure to use wheel bearing grease.
    Reassemble making sure you get all the ball bearings into place (grease will hold them in until they are seated),and the washer under the locknut the right way around, it should not contact/bind the hub. Gradually tighten the nut only until there is no play in the bearings when the wheel is spun (tested with the wheel refitted, may take quite a few wheel rotations to settle in the grease and bearings. The object is not to tighten the nut right up, only tight enough to remove any play in the bearings. Use a blunt cold chisel to lock the nut onto the hub (or is this only on 504s?).
    Filling the cap and bunging it on under pressure will probably result in the cap popping off.

Paul,
    504-504-504

Are the bearings noisy at all?
    If you are taking the whole lot apart to do the gease job then I would replace any suspect bearings at the same time. Bearings are not that expensive nowadays and generally if I found one that was suspect I would replace all four with tapered roller bearings. I would also replace the seals.

Roland

Default Durolith Grease

Many thanks Paul, you have given the info. I needed to know, so will get some wheel bearing grease and give it a try. Is 'Durolith' grease any use? I really appreciate your response! Thank you! Peter
    I'm not familiar with Duralith Grease and its applications.
    Could somebody else advise please????

As Roland said, unless you know for sure that there are problems with your wheel bearings its probably best to leave them as they are, replacing them with roller type when they do give problems.

Paul,
    504-504-504,
    Northern Outpost.

Icon7

I don't know much about Duralith grease. From what I was able to discern on the www it's just a durable multipurpose grease which wouldn't be suitable for wheel bearings on disc brakes. Go to Repco or somewhere similar and ask for a good quality high temperature bearing grease. This is important. If you use a standard grease it will heat up and run out of the bearings leaving no lubrication. You could imagine the consequences of that.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Thread Information