405 Mi16 Oil Filter
  • Help

Default 405 Mi16 Oil Filter

I just decided to change the oil and oil filter on the 405 Mi16 because even since the last service (done by an "expert"), the engine ticked every now and then (very loudly).

Advertisement

So I went to Supercheap Auto this morning, picked up some 0W-50 that I though would be nice in an older engine. I also picked up an oil filter.

One question I have with regards to the oil filter is, what is the best way to get it out of the engine bay? I tried form below, above, the side... I eventually got it out by shifting the filter after removing it, to the left hand side of the engine bay, where the airbox resides. Then snaking it past the aircon lines.

I could not get it past the bottom in any place whatsoever due to the filter hitting the radiator core and thus would damage it if I attempted to force it through. I ended up bring it up through the top where the airbox connects to the throttle body.

Worse news ahead, HAHAHAHA. The new filter I got was wider in diameter. Which looked more like the one in the workshop manual, with the one that I just replaced, looking like some after market crappy one.

I manoeuvred the new one, although larger in diameter into place, previously checking for an o-ring of the old filter stuck on the machined surface, and also giving the new one's o-ring a quick lube with some new oil. Fitted (screwed it on) it via the gap between the Alternator and plenum chamber.

Put in some Penzoil Race Synthetic 0W-50 and checked the dip stick. Started the engine, let is cycles through. Went for a quick blat around the block and came back, let the oil settle while I had swig of cool, golden beverage and checked the level of oil. Spot on. Checked for leaks.

The engine was instantly smoother then previous. Not sure whether the oil was crap or the oil filter wasn't right. When I worked on bikes, we could have two identical filters, but one had a different flowrate. So it effected the engine dramatically. I'll see how this fairs in regards to cold starts in the morning and hot starts on summer days.

Cheers
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

I used to own a Series 2 MI16 & remember getting the oil filter out was not so easy! I always used Purflux filters - LS867 now as LS468A no longer available. Helps to have the Purflux oil filter removal tool - a tool I've used over & over Again.
    Personally a 0W50 oil would concern me as a standard oil to run for 5000 to 10,000km as, although it obviously would have a low viscosity at low temperatures, it might not have enough "body" for an engine recommended to run on a 10W40 oil.
    Still everyone no doubt will have their opinions on this.
    Regards,
    John505

Yeah, perhaps it would have been ideal to go for a 10W-40, since Summer is coming along. I was still in the Winter mindset, and we get frost on most mornings for 2-3 months.

Oil viscosity is controversial. My opinion is, you can play around with certain ranges, as long as you stay close to spec. Like heat ranges on spark plugs.

Also, I've seen things in the past like two similar (exactly the same model) engines, perform very differently with same oils. And one benefited more from a different rating.

I guess it's whatever feels right. I'll change the oil in 5,000kms and during that time, I'll check the levels and colour on the dipstick. See how we go.

Cheers
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

1990 405 Mi16

when i change my filter, i normally jack up the front of the car and place it on stands so i can reach up between the radiator and the block to get the oil filter out - then drop it down to finish draining - lift up again to screw in new filter then drop down again, replace the sump plug and refill with fresh oil.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Hmmm, I couldn't get it to fit between the Radiator and the block.

Without touching the radiator, as the little fins are so easy to bend. I have been meaning to get the rad out one of these days too, and bend them all back with a small flat blade screwdriver.

I just can't see how the filter fits this way??? I had no choice but to take it across to the other side, and slide it up past the airbox.

pips

1990 405 Mi16

Thread Information