504 waterpump
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 504 waterpump

Tadpole

Default 504 waterpump

hello fellow froggers, I purchased the track yellow 504 on Ebay recently.
    Needed to replace the waterpump, removed it and the impeller and part of the pump stayed behind in the head, so question what is the best way of removing that alloy thingy that seems to be stuck tight in the head?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gkmcnau
    Needed to replace the waterpump, removed it and the impeller and part of the pump stayed behind in the head, so question what is the best way of removing that alloy thingy that seems to be stuck tight in the head?

Can you provide a picture or two.

From your text I assume that you have now removed "the impeller" which was got left behind.
    Now, if by "part of the pump. . . alloy thingy that seems to be stuck tight in the head" you mean a circular disk which is at the back of the hole where the pump fits then this is a blanking plate and is very important that it stays where it is. Its like a core/welsh plug! The main purpose of it is to direct cold water being pumped in down into the block rather than round the corner of the head and straight back out to the radiator.

I remember from times gone past when I had a 504 that this plate was actually loose so I drilled some small holes and put 3 stainless steel self taping screws in to hold the plate in - worked well.

Anyway - as I say - a picture or two would be a help.

regards
    Roland

Default 504 waterpump.

The "alloy thingy" is not part of the waterpump.
    The disc is similar to a core plug, it is a press fit then staked in 3 or 4 places.
    If it is in sound condition with no bad corrosion nearby, leave it in place.

Tadpole

thanks guys but,have a look at 504 waterpump from the impeller side, you will see in order the impeller, then an alloy ring that is pressed into the pump housing then pump body.It is this ring that has stuck in the head with the impeller behind it trapped in the head. Yes I am aware of the welch plug behind the waterpump in the head I wont interfere with that little can of worms unecessarily!

Default 504 waterpump.

thanks guys but,have a look at 504 waterpump from the impeller side, you will see in order the impeller, then an alloy ring that is pressed into the pump housing then pump body.It is this ring that has stuck in the head with the impeller behind it trapped in the head. Yes I am aware of the welch plug behind the waterpump in the head I wont interfere with that little can of worms unecessarily!
    With Peugeot waterpumps, both o.e. and aftermarket the alloy ring you mention is part of the pump casting. A possibility with yours is that it has corroded and with the struggle to remove the pump it has broken off.

It would appear odd that a pump manufacturer would have this as a separate part?
    Still, a few years in the trade prepares you for everything

I think I have a better understanding of what the problem is now.

And, yes the "ring" was part of the casting and although a good fit it wasn't an interferance fit in the head.
    My workshop manual states that the clearance between the back of the impeller and the surface of this "ring" (part of the casting) should be 1mm and no more otherwise the pump looses efficiency!

Question: are you fitting a totally new pump? Is so then I would get a dremmel cutting tool and cut a slot in the ring which should release it or just carefully chisel it out.
    After that I would clean the surface and fit the new pump.

Good Luck
    Roland
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 waterpump-504waterpump.jpg  
    Last edited by Roland; 20th October 2005 at 12:33 AM.

Default 504 waterpump

Just make sure the welsh plug looks like it's going to stay in for quite some time. If it pops out later, the water pump locks up, you burn out the fan belt and suddenly have to stop for some time....ruins the new pump's impeller too. Last time I had my head off (7 yrs ago), I had a piece of aluminium welded in there .....end of problem. I've seen so many of those things pop out. It's no big deal to take preventive medicine by digging out the old one if it looks unreliable and using 3 self-tapping screws to hold it in properly.

Thread Information