405 SRDT power problem
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 SRDT power problem

Hi all,

Well I'm now a legitimate Frogger, being the proud owner of a 405 SRDT.

I drove it home (from Newcastle to Adelaide) over the weekend and noticed two problems:

1. The accelarator seems to "jam" about half-way down; when I wriggle my foot I hear a sort of click and it frees up completely, enabling me to access the power. Is this a problem anyone else has encountered, or is it in fact normal operation? It's darned annoying, that's for sure!

2. Sometimes (usually after extended periods of "enthusiastic" driving, at around 120kph), the power suddenly dies off. The engine loses power and slows down; if I put my foot on the clutch to idle, it stalls. The funny thing is, once it has stalled, I can start it again and the problem goes away (for a while at least). The problem seems to be accompanied by a slight rise in temperature (from a very steady about 80 deg C to 85-90). The temp goes back down when the problem corrects itself. It's very intermittent, and seemed to happen only after I filled up with diesel at Narrandera - could it perhaps be a dodgy batch of diesel?

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Ward
    Hi all,

Well I'm now a legitimate Frogger, being the proud owner of a 405 SRDT.

I drove it home (from Newcastle to Adelaide) over the weekend and noticed two problems:

1. The accelarator seems to "jam" about half-way down; when I wriggle my foot I hear a sort of click and it frees up completely, enabling me to access the power. Is this a problem anyone else has encountered, or is it in fact normal operation? It's darned annoying, that's for sure!

2. Sometimes (usually after extended periods of "enthusiastic" driving, at around 120kph), the power suddenly dies off. The engine loses power and slows down; if I put my foot on the clutch to idle, it stalls. The funny thing is, once it has stalled, I can start it again and the problem goes away (for a while at least). The problem seems to be accompanied by a slight rise in temperature (from a very steady about 80 deg C to 85-90). The temp goes back down when the problem corrects itself. It's very intermittent, and seemed to happen only after I filled up with diesel at Narrandera - could it perhaps be a dodgy batch of diesel?

Any thoughts?
    Certainly not normal nor desirable. Check the throttle cable, then if that is all well and there is nothing causing the actual pedal to stick then it is time to look at the throttle plate on the pump. Follow the cable you will see it. Check and see (read pray) that there is no problem at the pump end.

Could be, however I would be changing the fuel filter straight away and seeing if that helps. Also the air filter and while there check all connections from the air box to turbo and from turbo to intercooler etc. Some of them look like the tubing was bought at the $2 shop.

HTH
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    I would be changing the fuel filter straight away and seeing if that helps.
    HTH
    A number of people have said similar things have happened to them (albeit in petrol cars) caused by blocked fuel filters, and it was suggested by the Peugeot mechanic too. I hope that's all it is.

But would a fuel filter blockage cause an intermittent problem? I guess it could if there was something dislodging, floating around, and then re-lodging.

I'll pray that it is not an injector pump problem!

The intermittent nature after high speed driving leads me to the filter as any particles in the area would be stirred up by the extra fuel flow blocking the filter, and dropping away again when the flow slows/stops.

On the throttle plate suggestion, you will see a shaft that the throttle rotates on the pump. The spring may be sticking or the shaft may be bent etc.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information