405 Mi16 Heater hose failure
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Mi16 Heater hose failure

My late '92 Mi16 has been going great BUT:

Friday night the heater hose which connects from the waterpump manifold down at the back of the block up to the connection through the firewall developed a small leak. This is the hose which is braided - presumably to protect it from rising heat from the exhaust manifold.

Advertisement

Has anyone else had this hose fail and if so where have you obtained a replacement from other than a Peugeot agent?

Ta
    Roland
    (back to my ever reliable '86 pushrod estate!)

[IMG]HeaterHose.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405 Mi16 Heater hose failure-heaterhose.jpg  

It should be available through Peugeot and other great pug spare parts places. I'd try them first though. As this is the most expensive coolant hose in the engine bay.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Quote Originally Posted by pips
    It should be available through Peugeot and other great pug spare parts places. I'd try them first though. As this is the most expensive coolant hose in the engine bay.

pips

Thanks pips - I dont like the 'expensive' word but I am expecting it.
    If it is too much then I have the ability and tools to manufacture a metal pipe and just put rubber pipe joiners at the ends! Probably will need to get the pipe nickel plated - that could be expensive as well.
    Roland

1000+ Posts

Roland, when I was investigating buying a 405 years ago, a local Pug mechanic was giving me the run down on costs. I'm sure I remember him pointing to THAT pipe, and saying, "see that pipe? It's worth about $200...". It could have been the metal one, but I'm fairly sure it was the one in your pic.

I'd certainly investigate a metal replacement.

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 17th October 2005 at 12:41 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Icon10

I heard a bad rumour that they were not available. Well if not very difficult to find. I was told by my mechanic to look after that hose very carefully.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer
    I heard a bad rumour that they were not available. Well if not very difficult to find. I was told by my mechanic to look after that hose very carefully.
    Yup, I got a small leak in that hose about 6 months ago - over $200 for the replacement. Luckily, mine was able to take a bodgy repair job for now. Will have to replace it at some point, though!
    Care factor = -273.15șC

jgp

Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Go
    Yup, I got a small leak in that hose about 6 months ago - over $200 for the replacement. Luckily, mine was able to take a bodgy repair job for now. Will have to replace it at some point, though!
    replaced mine a year ago. $165.00 including gst from from peugeotspares at everton park in brisbane. have found him to be very well priced on genuine parts than anyone else. yes it was a genuine part.
    90 405 MI16
    96 406 ST

Quote Originally Posted by jgp
    replaced mine a year ago. $165.00 including gst from from peugeotspares at everton park in brisbane. have found him to be very well priced on genuine parts than anyone else. yes it was a genuine part.

Well I was expecting $200 for a new pipe at least. I rang Caravelle but they don't have that part. So I went to Kevin at Eurocare over here in Perth and he has just quoted $164.20 - so I have ordered one.

Making a metal replacement would have been the alternative. Not difficult but what metal would I have used. My knowledge of electrolysis is a bit scratchy nowadays and I wouldn't know whether to use stainless steel, aluminium, steel (galvanised) etc, steel (nickel plated) etc.

Can someone out there explain in basic layman terms the issues with electrolysis in an engine with different metals present but not touching in a bath of anti-corrosion liquid etc.

After all the engine is all Alumninium with steel pipes coming out of the thermostat cover and a nickel plated pipe running along the back of the camshaft cover.

Roland

Hi,

Even though you've ordered one i thought i'd add that i got a secondhand one in good nick from Alpine Motors here in Canberra for $65 a week ago.

But the reason it split in the first place was because oil was leaking right on the clamping point from a small leak i had at the back left corner of the rocker cover a few months ago. Anyway, the pipe had become very soft and malleable as a result and split driving the 2km from my house to the shop!

Just thought i'd give you the heads up to look out for this!

Cheers

Alex

1000+ Posts

Roland, not to mention the liners which are iron based and exposed to coolant...

If I were doing the job, I'd just use copper, but steels would be the least reactive in the Mi16's system I reckon, considering they've got a fair bit of steel/iron in the system already. I'm not so sure it'd be a big issue, considering a lot of cars have copper/brass radiators and aluminium or part aluminium motors.

I've got a feeling people get unnecessarily anal about all this, but I could be wrong.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Well I was expecting $200 for a new pipe at least. I rang Caravelle but they don't have that part. So I went to Kevin at Eurocare over here in Perth and he has just quoted $164.20 - so I have ordered one.

Well, it worked out that we couldn't get the correct pipe as the supplier was out of stock but Eurocare was able to supply the identical pipe but it doesn't have the fibreglass heat resistant braiding on it. Genuine Peugeot part 6464.A3 - $55. It would appear that this pipe is the one fitted to non Mi16 cars. So do "standard" cars have a "cooler" cast iron exhaust manifold and therefore this pipe which is above the exhaust doesn't get as hot as it does in a Mi16?

Anyway - I have carefully cut off the braiding from the old pipe and glued it on the new one with a couple of hose clamps lightly clamped over the ends of the braid.

Will fit it tomorrow and then I'm back on the road.
    Roland

1000+ Posts

Excellent Roland. That's good news for all of us - a much cheaper solution. Even if your old braiding is knackered you could use exhaust wrap tape.

Cheers for that.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information