Mi16 steering fault
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 steering fault

My '93 Mi has developed this problem, at full left lock when parking i lose all power assistance momentarily, it then restores itself, and is fine the rest of the time. Any ideas?

Cheers

Advertisement
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

jgp

ditto! mine does the same along with a hissing noise and erratic feel whilst turning at parking speed. weird as i get a bit fluid on top of the fluid tank but not enough to have to top up. may have a air leak somewhere me thinks.
    90 405 MI16
    96 406 ST

I had a problem with the steering wheel shuddering, usually at full lock in reverse and a high pitch squealing noise. Turned out to be the power steering belt was worn. Had it replaced and it's fine now!

same problem with me, i replace the orginal hose with a slightly longer hose to avoid sharp bending of the hose. it helps for a about 2-3months then the noise appears again, well turn up the radio as long there is not leak

Quote Originally Posted by jgp
    ditto! mine does the same along with a hissing noise and erratic feel whilst turning at parking speed. weird as i get a bit fluid on top of the fluid tank but not enough to have to top up. may have a air leak somewhere me thinks.

The hissing noise is the power steering fluid going through the bypass valve and is common with a lot of makes of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by eMi16
    My '93 Mi has developed this problem, at full left lock when parking i lose all power assistance momentarily, it then restores itself, and is fine the rest of the time. Any ideas?
    I recently had very similar situation with my Mi16 - just after I replaced the drive belt on the pump.
    What I discovered is that the new belt bedded in quickly and became quite loose after only a couple of days. I hadn't tensioned it according to "the book"
    After retensioning according to "the book" I have had no problems.
    Page 198 Haynes manual 1559 shows a good picture (Figure 10.3) of the square cutout you insert your tension wrench into to apply a tension of 40 lbf-ft (new belt) or 22 lbf-ft (used belt) when you are tensioning the drive belt.
    It's seems quite a high tension to apply but this is a common "feel" with short belts.
    Of course it's easier with the battery and its carrier removed!

Good Luck
    Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 17th October 2005 at 07:03 PM.

Cheers guys , thanks, i will investigate.
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

Thread Information