307 Auto
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 307 Auto

Default 307 Auto

Hello everybody.Just joined after purchasing an 05 runout model 307 XSR Auto two weeks ago.Have found the car to be excellent so far except for one small worry.When the auto changes from 1st to 2nd, it takes a second or so to fully start pulling in that gear.If it was a manual you would swear the clutch was slipping.Is this normal ? I didn't notice it on the test drive (same car).I would appreciate any info from other 307 auto owners before taking the car in and making an idiot of myself.Cheers.

Advertisement

Welcome, nice car the 307.
    Can't tell you too much about the autos they use in them but I do know a lot of later autos have to be upgraded via the software, but whether these do or not I can't say.
    I would check service records if available to try and ascertain where they are at with the service as some of the service people can be a bit gung-ho when it comes to what they do and when they do it and in so doing look to see if there has been any software updates done (or are mentioned) and more importantly find out from the selling dealer if there are any due to be done if this is applicable.
    If the ATF has been changed for any reason, also doubly check that the correct grade and amount has been used, as we recently discovered that several dealers and service organisations have been running incorrect grades of transmission fluids in Citroen and some Peugeot autos for a few years with some devastating long term results.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The advice doesn't come much better than that.

Hope you get it sorted rgh 307, please keep us up to date, you may be helping someone else out as well.

Cheers and welcome ed ge

thats preety normal. its so that there is a smooth transision between gears, plus 2nd is big so if it didnt do that it would fall out of its power range and take longer too speed up. the torque on the older motors are nothing exciting. the new model 307s have better designd manifolds and other stuff to get over that and feel heaps better in city driving.
    i speed up for round abouts,corners and chikanes

Doesn't sound too strange really - the PSA autos feel a bit sluggish off the line when mated to the various small 4 cylinder engines.

Doubt ATF is an issue in a new car - realistically a software update is the best bet, but having driven a new 307 very recently, I don't think it's going to improve much. The car as an auto has a good deal of lag - it's a combination of the throttle by wire system and the engine's torque characteristics.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Doubt ATF is an issue in a new car - .
    Ya reckon? Recently struck a guy with a C5 having tranmission weirdies only to discover it had been in for service just prior and guess what they'd put into the transmission?................yep, God's gift to Cit auto repairers, Dex3 so never leave anything to chance particularly when it comes to dealing with some of these characters servicing French cars, although I will admit it's chances of being this are small.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 16th October 2005 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Ya reckon? Recently struck a guy with a C5 having tranmission weirdies only to discover it had been in for service just prior and guess what they'd put into the transmission?................yep, God's gift to Cit auto repairers, Dex3 so never leave anything to chance particularly when it comes to dealing with some of these characters servicing French cars, although I will admit it's chances of being this are small.
    The Peugeot service centres I've visited only stock one type of ATF - Peugeot's "special AL4/4HP20 formula"

Not quite a volume item in this so called "sealed for life" era of auto transmissions.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Again, the C5 guy had his changed at the first service for some reason.
    I learnt a long time ago to never take any of these guys on face value. I'm currently restoring a car with a very long service history and so far I've spent 2 days on rectification work. A friend has also bought one with an even more extensive history and a RWC and has so far spent 5 days @ around 10 hours a day, mostly redoing jobs and replacing fluids, so from experience, I wouldn't take the "special" fluids on face value, particularly when we see members here being quoted $110 to change engine oil (materials only) because they reckon they're going to use "racing oil" or in other cases where they have told them that their Mobil one is double the price of the stuff you buy in accessory shops because they get theirs in 200 litre drums and it's "special" and of better quality to the oil sold in 5 litre containers.
    Regardless, I still think it will be a sofware problem, but I wouldn't rule out the fluid until I was sure it was as per specs. It costs nothing to be sure.

Alan S

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rgh307
    Hello everybody.Just joined after purchasing an 05 runout model 307 XSR Auto two weeks ago.Have found the car to be excellent so far except for one small worry.When the auto changes from 1st to 2nd, it takes a second or so to fully start pulling in that gear.If it was a manual you would swear the clutch was slipping.Is this normal ? I didn't notice it on the test drive (same car).I would appreciate any info from other 307 auto owners before taking the car in and making an idiot of myself.Cheers.
    Congratulations on the new car. Those runouts were/are (I think there are some left still) a sensational bargain!

Even the fancy MKV 6-speed auto Golf flares a bit on 1st-2nd change, so I would'nt worry too much.

You'll get used to the throttle-by-wires delays. I think its a curse on humanity, but yeah, not a big one

Congrats on your new 307!

The 307s have an 'adaptive' transmission, some others have commented on the issue you're having before.

A suggestion I've read is to take it out for a drive, put it in 'sport' mode, and drive it fairly enthusiastically so that the auto can get used to a different driving pattern. This may help it learn to pickup a bit faster between gears.

Failing that, there is probably a software update that your dealer can perform (as others have suggested).

Cheers

My brother's 1.6 auto 307 does this. When driving gently its as if you have 1st gear then, if it changes up below 4000rpm, an extra gear in between that it pauses in for a couple of seconds before slurring into 2nd. Bit disconcerting I thought. If you drive harder so it changes up nearer 5000rpm, it slips straight into second. He asked the service people a couple of times and was told this was a normal characteristic.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Thread Information